Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coloring my hair to match a stock unit
09-04-2017, 03:18 PM,
Coloring my hair to match a stock unit
Hi guys,

I've been coloring both my hair and my stock units the same color but they never really match that well. I tried the custom unit route but even with a hair sample the color match was no better than if I'd just bought a stock unit. I think I'd like to try coloring only my hair to match a unit but I have no idea which dye to get. Does anyone know what dye color I could buy that would match a #4 medium dark brown stock unit?

It would be huge if I could solve this color issue that's plagued me. I've only ever been able to wear my pieces out to night time/dim lighting events and it's really limiting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
09-06-2017, 02:23 PM,
RE: Coloring my hair to match a stock unit
Checking our records I do not see an order from your email address so I’m assuming you got your unit from another supplier. That’s fine--glad to answer your question. Sometimes coloring a unit to blend the hair of the system is good idea to get a natural look. Hair color can contain differnt tints that need to be ‘evened out.’ Try ‘Just for Men’ or 'Back 2 Natural.’ I’m not sure of the exact color numbers so you’ll have to check into that. B2B is available on the internet and JFM is available at any drug store or discount retailer.
Regards,
John
09-09-2017, 12:46 AM,
I have dark brown hair i do get my pieces matched with my hair sample but i still color the piece and my own hair. i use wella medium ash brown. with a violet color drabber to deal with the red tones. The trick to getting both your hair and piece as close as possible is trail and error really.

I color the piece and my own hair separately the timing is crucial i only leave the color on the piece for 1 min 30 sec after i have applied. The piece is like a sponge and will take the color really quick. i then put the rest through my own hair but leave that for 25min's

Have a look on youtube there are loads of vids on how to color hair systems what to use and what to do.

Happy Experimenting it takes time to get it right.
09-11-2017, 01:42 PM,
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've been coloring the piece and my hair using Clairol semi-permanent Natural Instincts hair dye I just grab off the shelf at the pharmacy. Is Wella better? And so it seems using permanent dye is ok? For a while I thought permanent would be harmful to the piece but using semi-permanent has been a pain as it doesn't take long for it to start fading away in my natural hair.

You say you leave the dye on for a minute and a half on the piece - I imagine that means once you've finished dying the whole piece, then you wait a minute thirty, right? How long do you think it takes you to apply the dye? I don't leave my dye on for very long on the piece either, but sometimes I worry I take too long to dye it and parts will become too dark.

I'm thinking of actually getting a blond unit so that it lessens the problems with visible knots. Do you think that will make it harder to match the unit and my natural hair after I dye both? Like would it be easier to match if I just got a brown unit that is somewhat close to my natural color?

Thanks!
09-18-2017, 03:04 AM,
Hi xcvq

yep 1 min 30 sec after i have applied. what i do is i have a plastic bowl i pour half of the wella meduim ash brown colour into the bowl followed by half the bottle of the colour drabber then add wella 20 volume developer 1oz exactely. mix all 3 together making sure your wearing gloves. Then add approx 6oz of warm water and mix.

Now i just lay the the piece into the bowl working the colour through to the ends for about 30 sec then remove and lay the piece on the bowl's plastic lid wait for 1 min 30 sec then rinse the colour out and shampoo using loreal pure colour protect. then i add the remaining colour to my own hair which takes a minute or so to work in then leave for 25min rinse and shampoo using the same product.

images of the products i use all avaliable on ebay or amazon

Attached Files Image(s)

12-03-2017, 04:48 AM,
I know the original post is old, but I cant help but comment that I find it odd you combine the violet with the hair dye and add water? Hmmm...interesting.