Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worrying about toxicity in tapes..
11-14-2016, 10:46 PM,
Worrying about toxicity in tapes..
Hi everyone!

Lately I've been quite concerned about the ingredients that are inside the tape I use to attach my (partial) system. Currently I use supertape and couldn't really find a clear answer if the tape was non-damaging/non-harmful for your health. Worrying about if the tape included toluene, cyanoacylate, heptane etc. So I decided to send an e-mail to True Tape (owner of supertape). I asked him if these ingredients were included and if there was a chance to a health side effects or any harmful effects at all.
These are some quotes from our conversation:

''Tapes, including SUPERTAPE, are congealed masses of specialized polymers and crossed-polymers. That said, they are formed into a thick mass and will not penetrate the skin, entering the blood-stream thereby forcing the body to remove them. If you develop an allergic reaction to any product, you should stop using it.''

''It does not have ANY of those ingredients nor does it have parabens or phthalates. I have attached the MSDS sheet for you.

When you receive it for use, the only “ingredient” of SUPERTAPE is an acrylic adhesive comprised of a matrix of various linked and cross-linked polymers. ''

''The interior carrier is a urethane. If not, you’re right – under normal use conditions the urethane would never make direct contact with your skin.''

''I can check on the BPAs for you, but that would have to be on Monday. Normally, these are found in hard plastics, not soft acrylics, and missible in ethanol which is not a solvent used in this adhesive formulation.''

''The urethane is encapsulated within the layers of adhesive, so it does NOT come in contact with the skin. I wouldn’t imagine it causing troubles for you. We’ve been distributing SUPERTAPE since 2007 and no known issues have ever arisen except for the occasional allergic reaction which resolves when the adhesive is removed.
''

I also discussed this topic a little bit here:https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/hairstyle-question-and-some-tape-information.102033/#post-1388100

It just really haunts me, yet at the other hand I'm like ''people have been wearing tapes for over 30 years and had no problem, it can't penentrate the skin so why should I worry so much?''

For this reason I'd like to keep using tape, I don't show my hairline so the tape is okay.

I'd like to hear your opinions about the skin penentration, toxicity, health damage etc.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. sorry for my not so fluent english, I hope you can understand and sorry for the almost identical post, I'd like to hear more opinions about this topic Smile.
11-15-2016, 03:28 AM,
RE: Worrying about toxicity in tapes..
It's hard to find a tape which is medical grade and tells its ingredients.
Does anyone know a tape which is medical grade and tells the ingredients?

Untill then I'm going to wear the partial piece just occasionally (unfortunately)..Confused
11-22-2016, 12:47 PM,
There is no list of ingredients for tape on the package. Same with glues. The manufacturers file a list of ingredients with the state as required by OSHA and Federal Hazardous Substances Act. This can be requested from your state government. But practically speaking, these tapes and glues have been well tested---manufacturers are very aware of any legal liability if their products are hazardous to consumers. It’s rare but occasionally a customer gets an allergic reaction to tape or glue. It’s a good idea to test a glue or tape on your hand to see if there is any reaction.
Regards,
John
12-05-2016, 08:20 AM,
I was concerned about using these tapes and glues also. Just before I started wearing hair, I had some problems with rashes on my body and would you believe it, just a month before I was scheduled to start wearing for the first time I got red a red rash on the exact spot I was hoping to attach my piece.

But I got some creams, etc. and the rash went away a little. I was still nervous about using a piece, for the first time, but I went ahead. And 10 years later, I haven't had any averse reactions. No rashes, or allergies at all. The only issue I've ever had with glues is that is you have a 3 week long attachment it will get a bit goey