Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Here (concerns on local salon)
10-05-2016, 02:19 AM,
Newbie Here (concerns on local salon)
Hi there!

So I use to frequent this thread all the time a couple years ago. Luckily, I started some meds and my hair has grown back quite well and I haven't had to worry about it for some time. The only downside is that I have only been able to style my hair basically one way for the last 5 years and I'm pretty much over that. On top of the fact that I dont like being on propecia due to certain side effects that could happen. I know that the meds are only a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

The only reason I havent taken the leap to systems is

1)I'm scared (duh)
2) $$$
3) All of it seems super intimidating by myself.
4) I have curly hair, which I hear can make wearing a little bit more difficult (true?)

Anyways, I found a local salon, I live in Rochester, NY. I'm getting a free consultation from them on Thursday. I'm excited and scared. I've heard some horror stories about salons in general and was wondering if anyone had any first timer advice about salons. I want to eventually move on to doing this by myself, I just feel that it would be the wise decision to go somewhere first to get some sort of guidance to it.

So please if you have any advice about any of this! Please let me know!
10-06-2016, 02:12 AM,
RE: Newbie Here (concerns on local salon)
With curly hair you have one more spec to get right, namely the degree of curl. But once you do get it right I think having curly hair makes wearing easier. The curl hides any little imperfections in the blend or the hairline.

It's impossible to generalise about salons - there are some good ones and some bad ones. If you have educated yourself by looking at the results people have achieved on here, you should pretty quickly be able to recognise which sort of salon you are dealing with. Aside from doing good quality work, a quality salon will acknowledge that they are selling hairpieces, and will not try to conceal the nature of the product or talk in riddles about 'grafts' or 'implants' or any other misleading rubbish. They will also work with you to empower you to look after your own unit to the extent you want to. If the deal is that only they can take the piece off, and you are committed to come back to them for 'servicing' every month, run a mile.

My advice is to ask to speak to one or two of their customers - a decent salon will usually have a couple of guys who don't mind speaking to newbies. You may also be able to talk to someone who is in the salon getting a service or a new piece. Look carefully at what they are wearing. If you would be content to wear what they are wearing, go ahead. Otherwise find somewhere else.

Good luck.