Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attachment (beginner/pic), what should I use?
09-20-2016, 04:47 AM,
Attachment (beginner/pic), what should I use?
Hey everyone. I have a stock unit (not toplace) and I'm trying to transition into the DIY life with toplace but I need to get good at attachment first.

I've been attaching with Got2B Glued the past few days, but it only stays attached for one day and I'm pretty sure the gel is giving me headaches. Not totally sure, but I didn't get headaches with the bond the salon was using and only started getting them after bonding myself with the hair gel.

My system is poly back and sides with a lace front. I apply the gel on my head and wait for it to become tacky. It holds well for about 8 hours and then by night time turns to liquid again and I can just pull it right off.

I obviously need something better but I really don't want anything like what the salon used. Whatever they used, with the intent of bonding for 4 weeks, wouldn't come off on a mirror slide and was so thick on the inside of the system that only 99.9% alcohol could remove it - even that took over an hour to get it all off with.

So, can you all recommend something that's not super messy or hard to clean up, but will bond for at least a week or so? I'm open to tapes as well as glues. I do like hair gel for the fact that it allows me to push the system around for the first few minutes as I usually get it a little too far forward or too far backward.

All advice is appreciated. I'll attach a photo of my attachment so you can see the look in going for. Also, make sure you tell me where to buy what you recommend cause I have no idea other than the online store at toplace. Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

09-20-2016, 05:11 AM,
RE: Attachment (beginner), what should I use? Photo
Also, what do you all use to shave your head underneath? I currently use a clipper but I feel like that doesn't get it close enough and maybe an actually razor might do better but then I also don't want to irritate my scalp with too close of a shave. Seems like a balance you have to strike.
09-20-2016, 07:57 PM,
RE: Attachment (beginner), what should I use?
Hi Younglace; your unit looks good - a nice low-key easy-care style.

It sounds like Got2BGlued is not for you. With a brushed down style like that you could use all tape - I would recommend Walker No-Shine for the back and sides, and 3-mil tape for the hairline. Or you could use one of the many water-based glues for the hairline. Most seem to give a 7-14 day hold for the average wearer. Personally I use Davlyn, but ORWG (oil resistant white glue) is also very popular. You can get a few extra seconds to move your piece into place by spraying your head or the base of your piece with a mist of 99% isopropyl alcohol just before you put it on. The alcohol boils off and doesn't affect the bond. Any supplies that Toplace doesn't carry you can get from Hair Direct or on eBay. The cheapest source of the alcohol is probably your local pharmacy or DIY store, but availability differs from place to place.

I personally use an electric razor to shave the area under my piece. Using a wet razor gets a slicker finish, but can cause itchiness and irritation. I think the electric version is good enough if you are maintaining weekly.
09-22-2016, 09:37 AM,
Hi - like your style - I use Got2B but add a squirt of their freeze spray and mix it up maybe its just me but I get a good solid hold for at least 3 days which suits me as I dont want to wear 24 / 7 . But I ve only worn a thin skin - some guys say it does nt work that well with lace - maybe thats the problem with your lace front- good luck with it all
09-23-2016, 04:35 AM,
looking good,clippers are good enough ,close enough, its amazing how quick you can do a debond and clean up around an hour for me
ill be honest I detest full debonds, but the way I look at it, its the way it makes me feel for weeks after wards that's the payback.
enjoy the journey and second chance to look your best!