Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help/advice with first system(pics included)
05-23-2016, 01:59 PM,
help/advice with first system(pics included)
Hello, I have been loosing my hair at a small rate since I was around 24 and I'm now 35 and feel it's time to move beyond concealers and other methods of covering up the thinning hair. I have included some pics to show the extent of my hair loss. I can still get away with wearing a "bedhead" style messy hair cut and fibers, but at this point i am ready to move on. I still have pretty thick sides and back and the area down the middle on my crown that is thinning is fairly narrow and I think I can keep a good amount of my own hair. Mainly the hairline is shot and some of the temples are fading back. I have no problem with buzzing down or shaving the middle and crown area and front section in order to give my system the best possible hold. I have really been reading over these forums a lot over the past 2 weeks and think I have gotten a pretty good idea of all the supplies I will need. I would like some advice on making a template which I will be doing shortly. Also I am very torn between a full swiss lace and the TL700. Thin skin sounds appealing because of ease of bonding and cleaning, but people have complained that based on the ways the hairs are installed into the thin skin it makes certain hair styles more difficult to accomplish. Swiss lace seems like the most beloved system on the forum and with proper care and attention to detail provides a very realistic look and feel. I'm moderately active and work out maybe 3 or 4 times a week but only for 20 minute periods and generally don't sweat that much. Ideally I would only like to have to fully re-bond every 5 days or so while also doing hairline touch ups to maintain the best look and hold possible. I have found a lady in my area that does cut-ins and has lots of experience with mens hair systems in general. Other areas I would be seeking advice in are the level of density/duration and creating a hairline itself. I do not want to go with a really low hairline and I want my density to be more realistic and not have the "wall of hair" look. So I am fully aware I will be ordering a custom piece. I will send in a sample of my own hair as well and do my best with the template and i'm hoping those things will contribute to very nice and realistic piece. The hair style I will probably be going with will be shorter on the sides and longer on the top and slightly messy with my just some exposed hairline but not at all times(have included a pic)is this style achievable ? Everyone on this forum appears to be very helpful and I just wanna say I really appreciate any help I get on my transition in to the world of wearing hair.

Attached Files Image(s)

05-24-2016, 03:29 AM,
RE: help/advice with first system(pics included)
Your natural hair is still really thick. A piece will work really well for you. You could easily pull off that look. You'll need a low hairline to pull off that look in my opinion. Your temples are really strong so you could get away with it no problem. I'm 40 and I wear a piece that had the same hairline I had when I was 16 and it looks completely natural. The pieces from John have a graduated hairline so you don't get that wall of hair look even with heavier densities. I THINK your density would probably be 60-65%. John and some of the other guys here will have a better idea on density than I do though.

I would recommend detaching every 7-10 days or so. I used to do about every 4-5 days and it became really tedious. The more you wash your piece the faster it will shed. If you workout like I do I'd also recommend poly sides and back to keep the glue from seeping into the hair. Also I'd recommend using a scalp protector. It'll help extend the bond when you do sweat.
05-24-2016, 05:06 AM,
id say a poly thin skin with a lace front for a great hairline, although most wearers hide the hairline.
the poly is pretty easy to clean, and a 1/4" to 1/2" sfsl hairline that's not rocket science to touch up
doesn't need to be 100% adhesive free for a good bond.

its life changing, positive amazing wearing!!!!
05-24-2016, 05:43 AM,
Anty, the only reason I wouldn't recommend the thin skin would be because of his exercising. That could get pretty hot and uncomfortable I think. I could be wrong though.
05-24-2016, 08:06 AM,
I think a partial would be a good way to go. Although your hairline is pretty thin, to me it looks like there is enough there to achieve the effect of a natural hairline with a partial, sitting just behind some of your natural hair at the front.

This might sound daft but I literally have about 6 remaining hairs at the hairline (god bless them for sticking around longer than the rest of them Smile ). But honestly, even just that small amount of hair growing out the scalp really makes a big difference at the hairline. Someone glances and sees hair growing right out the scalp they don't give it a second thought.

Just my 2 bobs worth. Good luck, you've definitely come to the right place Smile
05-24-2016, 10:11 AM,
Thank you everyone for your info, I knew I'd get some good advice and support on going forth with this choice. Bollo_2014, I am intrigued by your idea on a partial to create ultra realism. Only thing is I would like to drop my hair in the front down about 1-2 cm. I will most likely be making a template within the next few days, and I am aware that there is a "how-to" vid on youtube. I am a tad nervous because it seems it is something people struggle to do right. AmericanJambo thank you for your advice I have seen a lot of your threads on this forum and your pics look great, it's something Id like to aspire to. Also really happy to have Antywanty chime in, you always seem really supportive and offer good advice as well. Another question, when posting pics of the template process should I just keep the pics in this thread ? Or start a new one ? I'm not really clear on good/bad forum manners ?
thanks everyone Smile
05-25-2016, 10:09 AM,
I'd just start a new thread for the template. Make sure to wet your hair down when making the template. You'll get a better fit that way.
05-25-2016, 10:20 AM,
As for a natural hairline. This is a very close-up pic of my hairline from my first Swiss lace pieces attached with 4 thin layers of ORWG and parted out if the way so you can really see the skin. You can get a natural hairline that looks like it's growing right out of your head with Swiss even up close. And with the style that you're looking to wear with only bits of the hairline showing it'll look completely natural. No worries there at all.

Attached Files Image(s)

05-25-2016, 03:00 PM,
WOW ! looks amazing AJ. This pic has actually got me quite excited to get all of this moving !!
05-25-2016, 04:57 PM,
Good. You should be excited. I know that starting out wearing can be really stressful for people. The best advice I can give is to just go for it. Let's be honest, what do you have to lose? Just ask a ton of questions. Even if they seem silly or basic, everyone is here to help. We're all in the same boat. I would also HIGHLY recommend getting two pieces on your first order. The added security of having a backup piece, especially when you first order, cannot be understated. And when it comes to getting a hairline like mine there are two factors. First, is the piece itself. Graduated single knot hairline. Second, the trick is using enough glue to make the lace disappear. They usually recommend 2-3 layers but I find 4 thin layers works best. When the lace is pressed down into the glue, the glue fills in the spaces in the lace and it all but disappears. You'd have to use a bright angled light and a magnifying glass to see the lace on my hairline. Also, I don't do threethe whole making your head an eye liner pencil and what not. I use a landmark on my forehead. I have a very fine natural line and I just put the glue about 2mm above that. When you're attaching your piece you can see where the glue starts and I place the lace about half a millimeter above that so a little of the glue is exposed past the hairline. I attach the hairline first and then flip the piece forward. One thin layer of glue I the poly and a thin layer on my scalp only on the perimeter where the poly attaches and then I roll it back attaching the sides and then the back. Then I use a little Adjust-a-bond to clean up the hairline. This works better than alcohol. The alcohol will permanently destroy the bond of the glue because it breaks it down. The Adjust-a-bond softness the glue and allows you to wipe away the excess. And it's ok to get on the glue in the lace because when it dries the bond of the glue returns to normal with no reduction of strength.