Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for shampoo and conditioner for lace systems to not shed
02-28-2016, 03:40 AM,
Recommendations for shampoo and conditioner for lace systems to not shed
Hello. I recently switched from a stock poly system to a stock lace system and, unlike the poly systems, the lace system sheds profusely (I just had to order another one after less than a month).

I'm looking for recommendations for any protein-free shampoos and leave-in conditioners - or even brushes - for lace systems that you've found to help with reducing shedding. I've ordered a satin pillowcase and a knot sealer.

Thanks for any advice or experiences.

regards,

Tony
03-17-2016, 11:27 PM,
RE: Recommendations for shampoo and conditioner for lace systems to not shed
Hi Tony,

I have been wearing Swiss lace pieces for a few years now and can normally get around the 5 months wear until I need to change.

these are some of the products i am currently using i find the less you mess with the longer it lasts.

1. loreal pure colour shampoo

2. ppi enhance leave in conditioner

3. toppik hair fattener i don't mess with gels or waxes just put a tiny bit of this through the tips of the hair allow to dry then just run your fingers or a brush through gives a nice natural looking hold. good for blending thin hair in with the system as well.

4. Paul Mitchell 407 Styling Brush

5.PPI: Natutrol Holding Spray good for windy days or if want some extra hold
easily just brushes out.

6. milk_shake Conditioning Whipped Cream just started using this so far good results smells really nice and leaves hair really soft been using this after a shower before bed.

Attached Files Image(s)

03-18-2016, 01:48 AM,
Thank you so much for this great and detailed advice!

The system I am using now is doing better due to changing to a satin pillow, and not using a rinse-out conditioner, but I think the main problem is the itching that I have a hard time not scratching.

I think if I can avoid having to scratch the itching, it will, last a lot longer.

Thanks again!

regards,

Tony
03-18-2016, 04:33 AM,
Yeah itching can be a problem but i found if i prepare my scalp well so use an electric razor don't wet shave and massage head blade clear lotion into my scalp this really helps. Are you using tape or glue? i am currently using orwg.

I also shower my hair every nite and condition before bed.

A new thing i have been trying is adding a few drops of Argan oil to my leave in conditioner to simulate the oil your own hair would have not sure what affect this will have on the knots as yet.

Attached Files Image(s)

03-20-2016, 01:32 AM,
Thanks again, great information! I'm using some kind of glue around the perimeter and blue tape at the front. I was doing it myself for a long while but found recently that it stays bonded much longer if I have a local bonding girl do it. Not sure what glue she's using.

Regards,

Tony
04-06-2016, 02:23 PM,
Argan oil is good stuff. It's 'light' and doesn't weigh the hair down. Also, itching can be the result of leaving the unit on too long and not washing the scalp. I know that Hair Club does what's called a 'hard bond.' It is tape and a super strong glue combined and it lasts about 6 weeks. This allows 'crud' to build up on the scalp and cause itching. To counteract the itching Hair Club sells you a product called 'Alive' to apply through the mesh while the unit is on your head. The 'Alive' is an enzyme that dissolves the crud--not a good substitute for removing the unit and washing your scalp.
Regards,
John
04-10-2016, 04:35 AM,
(04-06-2016, 02:23 PM)ToplaceUSA Wrote: Argan oil is good stuff. It's 'light' and doesn't weigh the hair down. Also, itching can be the result of leaving the unit on too long and not washing the scalp. I know that Hair Club does what's called a 'hard bond.' It is tape and a super strong glue combined and it lasts about 6 weeks. This allows 'crud' to build up on the scalp and cause itching. To counteract the itching Hair Club sells you a product called 'Alive' to apply through the mesh while the unit is on your head. The 'Alive' is an enzyme that dissolves the crud--not a good substitute for removing the unit and washing your scalp.
Regards,
John

Hi John,

I can confirm that hard bonding is really itchy after a while. Additionally, hard bonds go from viscous liquid when it is attached to crystalized plastic. So if you have the urge to itch and can't help but dig into your head for a scratch, you will be pushing the now-hard plastic into your scalp. The jagged edges will/can cut your scalp up.

For the moment, I see my stylist every 3 weeks. I refused to do his hardbond again, so instead we have been using Ultra glue on the back and sides poly and tape at the front. I switch the tape out myself every 7 days approximately and the back and sides are left untouched for the entire 3 weeks. It's not ideal, but I'm working my way to a better technique with time and practice. I wear my hair down, sort of like the "caesar" look because bonding perfectly to expose your hairline is a big hassle. Also, I dont think my thin sides could ever support a thick exposed hairline of a hairsystem.

Regards,
EarlyTwenties
04-23-2016, 08:20 AM,
Here's what seems to have solved the lace shedding problem for me:

Satin pillow
Boar's head brush (no balls at the end of the bristles)
"Knot a Problem" Knot Sealer
Progen Nutrifuse Shampoo - and no leave-in conditioner

regards,

Tony
04-14-2018, 02:37 AM,
(03-17-2016, 11:27 PM)mickeyblueyes Wrote: Hi Tony,

I have been wearing Swiss lace pieces for a few years now and can normally get around the 5 months wear until I need to change.

these are some of the products i am currently using i find the less you mess with the longer it lasts.

1. loreal pure colour shampoo

2. ppi enhance leave in conditioner

3. toppik hair fattener i don't mess with gels or waxes just put a tiny bit of this through the tips of the hair allow to dry then just run your fingers or a brush through gives a nice natural looking hold. good for blending thin hair in with the system as well.

4. Paul Mitchell 407 Styling Brush

5.PPI: Natutrol Holding Spray good for windy days or if want some extra hold
easily just brushes out.

6. milk_shake Conditioning Whipped Cream just started using this so far good results smells really nice and leaves hair really soft been using this after a shower before bed.

can someone tell me why the paul Mitchell 407 brush is recommended? will it cut down on shedding?
04-28-2018, 06:56 AM,
well its wide toothed and has little rubber balls on the tips which helps to stop snagging of the hair, i Find it gives a good texture when styling with the hair looks styled but with a nice choppy uncombed look if that makes sense. i am very gentle with the hair and i have with my new piece stopped using any leave in conditioner now and i am just about to start a 5th month which i think is the longest i have gone. if it keeps going then cutting out the leave in conditioner could be the answer. its all trial and error at the end of the day.