Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Lace full of adhesive residue.
08-11-2015, 08:13 AM,
Help! Lace full of adhesive residue.
Hello Everyone.

This is my first unit.

First time i removed and attached it myself, however the glue that was sold to me by the saloon worked really bad for me so i had to go back and have them redo it with another type of glue that actually worked much better. Had it for 1,5-2 weeks until i noticed it started to seap through the lace and get sticky on the hair side of the lace, i could even pull off small pieces of glue from the top side(!). Over the days this got me stressed and i figured i have to remove this soon or else this will become a big problem

First time i only had alcohol at hand and worked a full sleepless night to get all the residue off my scalp. But very little was stuck to the lace when i removed it. I used the mirrorslide technique and got almost all off,

In order to make the removal more easy i followed the suggestion of using c22 citrus remover. (This is maybe where i did a big mistake)

I first sprayed alot of c22 on the edge and started to pull it off, It came off relatively easy but this time the majority of the glue was stuck to the lace. With all the c22 in the glue i assumed the mirrorslide technique was now off the table.

The saloon said they soak the hairpieces in what here in sweden translates as "medical benzine", which i had bought beforehand. I soaked it for 30min and It loosened up all the glue so i could scrape it off. But i could still see that alot of residue was stuck inside the lace that i could not scrape off or get out with cotton pads or paper.

I hoped for a miracle and washed the piece with shampoo and conditioner praying that what was left in the lace would magically rinse out. But no , the residue is still in there and have now turned white´ish and is stuck in the lace , and its not even sticky any more so mirrorsliding does not seem to work at all.

Now i have no idea what to do. I have c22 citrus remover, alcohol and the "medical benzine" but even if i soak it up with whatever, how in the earth can i get out the stuff thats inside the lace like this. Here is a few pictures..

WHAT CAN I DO? im stressed out and i have no replacement piece at hand.

Attached Files Image(s)

08-11-2015, 05:26 PM,
RE: Urgent help! Panic! Lace full of adhesive residue!
Spray the C-22 onto the lace and allow it time to ` work` ...allow it to soak in / on for around 15 minutes....it needs time to soften the residue...then rinse it out ..... you can try sourcing ` Autoglym` tar-remover [for cars !] at a car -accessory shop...you can soak the system in a bowl of it with no harm to the lace /hair..... leave it soak for an hour and then wash it out..... I suggest your issue was caused by them pressing the system onto glue which had not been allowed time to dry-in .... you have to allow at least 15 minutes, normally, between coats of glue and the final coat, before popping the system on, otherwise it will seep through like this and solidify onto the hair /lace...... hope that helps .....the C-22 should do the job..just allow it enough time to work.
08-12-2015, 04:38 AM,
@paul in ireland
Thank you so much for your reply. I tried to get ahold of autoglym tar remover but there was no local shop so i had to order it online which will take a day or two.

Therefore i tried like you said with spraying c22 leaving for a while and then rinse out, all the glue became like white foam but didnt rinse out with water, i had to scrape some off with a plastic butterknife and even still alot of the white foam was on the hair side of the lace, i did this twice . Because of the oily c22 everything is now very oily, i have read somewhere that you need hand dishwashing liquid to clean off the oily c22 ? I tried with the gentle organic one i had home but the lace is still very oily now, maybe i need a proper hand dishwashing liquid. Even after washing with shampoo and conditioner lace is all oily when i touch it
The lace is pretty clean now apart from some tiny spots of white foamy thing but i can press that out with fingers and nails.

How are you supposed to clean and rinse out the oily c22 out of the hairpiece lace? It is now still oily and i have obviously not tried to attach it like this yet.

*sigh*
08-12-2015, 05:36 AM,
probably the biggest drawback with lace, im wearing a lace middle and front system @ the moment
I miss my medium skin system for the ease of clean up, I wanted a lace front only but my salon could only supply a poly band, lace middle and lace front
I just use Isopropyl Alcohol 99%,Copiously, and work at it manipulating the lace and gently scraping with my nail.
the clean up would undoubtedly be quicker with skin or poly but I prefer the natural look lace give my hairline so its a trade off.
I don't use anything else as its a further trade off to get rid of any excess oil in these products even after washing
you'll find you're way I use sellotape as well to lift adhesive.

best of luck wearing

clean ups worth the hassle it = confidence
08-12-2015, 08:16 AM,
Hi hairpocalypse... .. I was dashing out to work this morning when I did that reply.... if it seemed ` short` that was why !
Yes the Citrus-based solvents can leave that oily residue and also, if you use them on lace frequently, can actually discolor the lace.... you can apply shampoo directly to the lace and this should help remove any remaining ` tacky` residue/s ...... I often use Loreal shampoo for coloured hair http://www.boots.ie/en/LOreal-Elvive-Col...0ml_17298/ or Johnsons baby shampoo..
http://www.drugstore.com/johnsons-baby-n...a/qxp14449 I don`t use many styling-type products on the hair to avoid build-up, which then necessitates more frequent shampooing.....this lifts /` lightens` the colour of the hair ....this is most noticeable when wearing a topper such as yours.....the difference in colour between the system and your growing-hair can become very apparent and lead to further ``issues`` for you....if you use ``Back2natural`` conditioner from the outset, it can and does maintain your system`s colour [just Google ` Back2natural hair conditioner` ] --you can order it from the Hairdirect hub in Holland....

Wearing can be a steep learning-curve .. it`s always best to have at least 1 system ` spare` in case something major goes wrong...
I gave up using the ` normal` glues quite some time back..just cannot be bothered with the hassle of the clean-up`s ..... why don`t you just try ` Got2bglued` spiking glue ? It will not hold for a week or anything like that, but it`s a breeze to use /apply/remove ....just hop into the shower and let the water at your head for a few minutes .. you can just lift the system off ....rinse all the residues off your lace and scalp in the shower ...no alcohols or solvent etc. required ! ...it can certainly help ease you into this wearing-game .. I wouldn`t like to have had to deal with what you are experiencing right now .... when your Autoglym arrives it will get the lace back to ``new``....meanwhile, just apply shampoo directly to the underside [lace] having wet the thing first.....you could also try using a toothbrush [gently] to help loosen out any remaining bits of residue... try to keep this as ` simple` as you can....and don`t let this incident deter you or put you off ....avoid a repeat by ALWAYS ensuring that layers of glue are applied thinly and evenly, and allowed to ` dry` for at least 15 minutes each time....the final coat MUST be allowed to go practically dry before pressing the lace onto it...that way you`ll avoid this type of issue happening again.This is ` Got2bglued` http://www.amazon.com/Got2B-Glued-Spikin...B000142OC2 Hope you`re over your ` panic` now ..best to avoid it happening again ...can be so scary when you`re on your own and not sure what to do .... you might have to do a few more than one shampoo application to help get rid of that oily /greasy feel to the lace.... lace needs to be residue-free and dry in order to do a new bonding-to-the-head. You can dry your lace , if needed, by directing warm air from a hairdryer, at the underside / lace....lace dries quickly anyway, but if you`re in a hurry, you can speed it up !
p.s. If you decide to use ` Got2b`, the opposite ` rule` applies : Smear it on, not too thickly [takes a few ` trials` until you find what`s right] and allow it to kind of ``Half-dry``... it needs to be wet to stick to the lace, but not so ` wet` that it goes through the lace onto the hair....if it does, it will solidify and the hair will be in ` clumpy` state and you won`t be able to style it as you`d like.....at least in this case, all you`d have to do is hop into the shower and wash it all out and start over again...
08-13-2015, 12:46 AM,
RE: Help! Lace full of adhesive residue.
Hi Hairpocalyspe,
Even though you didn't buy this unit from Toplace we're glad to help you. Please tell us about the attachment. It appears
from the photos that the salon bonded the entire unit to your head (full bond) and that's not necessary. Most hair wearers attach only the perimeter. The glues and tapes are very strong and a perimeter bond is all that's necessary. Many salons do hair systems as a sideline business. It's not their main business. They are not up to speed on hair systems and how to attach.
Regards,
John
http://toplace.com