Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Male hairdressers better than female?
11-13-2014, 06:56 PM,
Male hairdressers better than female?
I don't want this to end up in a sexist conversation, I just want to know about your experiences. I AM GENERALIZING HERE!

Back in the day when I used to have hair I usually got my hair cut by women. Sometimes by men. Looking back, the men ALWAYS were better in cutting my hair.

So for my very first hair system I went to a female hairdresser in Anaheim who was recommended to me by users on this forum.

My haircut was shit. Cannot believe she has been doing that for years (she charged 70$).

Now I have an appointment for my second piece here in Minnesota- it is the only hair salon around that has the proper equipment for the bonding and of course, the experience. My hairdresser will be a woman again and she has had experience for over 25 years.

1) But now, I am very nervous. I feel like most women don't know how to make a man's head more beautiful. Male hairdressers just exactly know how to style a man's head.

What do you guys think?

2) Also, as y'all know, every cosmetology student starts off by cutting wigs on mannequins. So basically, everyone could cut my hair (as long as they feel comfortable with it).

I mean, I can always bond my hair myself (it's not like they have special technology that bonds for 4-5 weeks (I wish!!) and go to a male hairdresser. Though I must say that the two bondings I've had a salons were top notch.

I would like to get some input from y'all.
11-13-2014, 10:01 PM,
RE: Male hairdressers better than female?
possible you got a naff haircut from a naff hairdresser irrespective of there sex
that's a whole new debate male female perceptions
staying safe here
11-18-2014, 02:31 AM,
"2) Also, as y'all know, every cosmetology student starts off by cutting wigs on mannequins. So basically, everyone could cut my hair (as long as they feel comfortable with it)."

Biggest misconception ever. We don't cut wigs on mannequins. The hair is rooted into the head. It is heavily processed and I mean HEAVILY processed. It is usually rooted straight out from the head with multiple hairs in one plug. This is not like hair growing out of a human's head nor it is anything like a hairpiece. It is no way gets a person ready to cut a hairpiece (Or hair growing out of your head)

My view on the male vs female thing is most men have it as a career where most woman are doing it to supplement household income.
12-08-2014, 12:48 AM,
I think part of it is that female hairdressers think about female hairstyles all day whereas male hairdressers think about mens hairstyles all day, which is also why some female stylists can do a great pompadour but can't even do a decent fade.
02-12-2017, 06:10 AM,
Sadly, I must agree. I've been going to the same female hairdresser for several years since she's better than most of the others (male and female). I would say that I am satisfied 40% of the time. Finally, I just learned how to trim my own hair using a trim comb device that holds 2 double-edged razor blades. That, plus a Braun beard trimmer with adjustable guards, does a much better job. The hardest part is getting my back, blunt cut line level. I do return to my stylist to have the back touched up. Soon, I will start doing cut-ins on my hair systems. I hate relying on professionals for unpredictable cuts.
02-18-2017, 02:54 PM,
The best haircut I've ever had was from a male. I also find that the uglier the woman cutting my hair the better it turns out.