Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red tones in brand new system
09-26-2014, 10:07 AM,
Red tones in brand new system
I wear a topper, my first one, it's brand new, cut in and styled. I'm noticing that the color of the system hair has red tones in it. I sent in hair samples from multiple areas from my head. My natural color is black, but not the darkest black, it shines brown when exposed to more light. They seem to have incorporated this into the system but sometimes I can't help but feel like it shines too red and looks obvious where my system hair is. It's a reddish, bronze, brassy type of shine. When I look in the mirror with natural lighting, you can see strands of hair next to my natural growing hair and the system hair strands give off a reddish copper shine.
09-27-2014, 05:16 AM,
RE: Red tones in brand new system
ok...so color/tone the system. Problem solved
09-27-2014, 07:06 AM,
What products should I look into? I only know about ppi color correcting shampoo. Back2natural is more of a color maintenance product and I don't need to maintain the red. Also why does this happen for a brand new piece?
09-27-2014, 09:05 AM,
Most hair has those red tones / develops them over time from washing etc...... the hair is stripped of it`s original colour to one degree or other, before being coloured to your own hair-shade....you`ll get those ` brassy` tones, especially under strong sunlight...if used from the outset, the ` Back2Natural` will mask those red tones --it won`t ` maintain` red....having said that, I have used it in the past .... as time progressed, I found it to be less effective ...... I use Wella Koleston Perfect mixed with Creme Peroxide ... your hair-colour sounds the same as mine... you can buy hair ` dyes` in various places --a lot of them have ammonia in them....remember that system hair ` takes` colour very rapidly and deeply compared to growing-hair [because it`s been processed] --- if you choose to order these products online, be aware of the following : The general wisdom, is to use Creme Peroxide 6% ..... I have never found it any use for what I wanted.... it took ages for the colour to ` develop` and then the hair didn`t go as deep as shade as I wanted --- I use this one [12%] http://www.amazon.com/Wella-Koleston-Per...xide+12%25 and you need this :
http://www.perfecthair.ch/en/haircare/13...s-20-black
I cannot give you any ` guarantees` --you need to proceed carefully and cautiously. Only mix a a small amount and apply it to a [relatively ]small area of hair.... do NOT leave it in for more than about 3 minutes, otherwise it`ll go too deep /black .
You squeeze out , say, a one -inch length of the tube-contents in a glass bowl or even an old breakfast-cereal bowl........ next, pour out approximately an equal -length [or slightly longer] of the Creme Peroxide [` Developer`] from the bottle. Mix both together so you form a smooth paste with no lumps in it---a dinner fork is ideal for this......you use a plastic comb which has teeth close together to apply the mixture to pre-shampooed /rinsed hair which is still damp..... apply it while it`s still a cream colour ---it will develop quickly into black once on /in the hair.......keep it off the lace or it will stain it.....just mix a small amount , ` treat` a small area of hair, then rinse it out no longer than 3 minutes after application .....this should zap your red tones for you.... try to get most of your material onto the spine of the comb and put the comb ` flat` against the hair, then draw it towards yourself with the teeth more ` into` the hair ..this will help spread it onto the hairs....you need to draw the comb-teeth out to the tips of the hairs rather than ` down` the hair towards the lace....use rubber gloves to protect your skin too. You just need to watch your ` time` carefully...... just go softly-softly [slowly] and you should be fine.After one or two shampooings, it`ll begin to lighten a bit anyway, and you`ll see the brownish shades becoming more apparent again under certain lighting ....it`s vital not to leave it on too long or it`ll go jet-black.....you could apply a little to your own hair too where it meets the system hair to help ` soften` any apparent colour -differences..... you`d have to leave it on your [damp] growing hair for 15 -20 minutes to get the same shade as would be obvious after only 3 minutes on the system-hair. You can buy them on ` Amazon`.
09-27-2014, 10:53 AM,
Oh so it's a byproduct of processing, I just hoped they didn't improperly color match my hair samples or something. I had to send the piece back to have more hair put in it so it might've been processed even more. Since the system is still pretty new, and I'm a complete newbie, I bet you would recommend trying something like back2natural before I try to dye the hair. I'm never in the sun for more than 5 minutes at a time, and I only washed the piece 2 or 3 times so far so it couldn't have been because of the normal oxidation process at this point. How would this product compare to back2natural: http://www.hairdirect.com/store/ppi-colo...o-8oz.aspx
It's cheaper and it's for black hair. Not just dark ash brown.
I've also read about purple/violet shampoos but I think those are for blondes. And toners but I don't know what those are.
09-27-2014, 06:10 PM,
I haven`t used it but it seems fine and as you said, cheaper too..give it a try and let us know the results as this is a common enough issue ..red tones becoming visible.... I haven`t seen it before.... Back2natural is fine if used from the word go, in maintaining colour and slowing down visible signs of oxidation, but once it sets in, you need to add colour . Cheers for now.
09-28-2014, 01:22 AM,
Paul as a guy who makes his living off of coloring hair I would NEVER EVER recommend 12% peroxide which is 40 vol on a hair piece. This high volume is used for high lift blonde shades for maximum lightening of hair. You need to actually be using a semi or demi permanent color. These color are made to wash out of the hair and are not damaging at all. These colors provide optimum control. The permanent color itself is why the color is going too dark and you are trying to compensate by the 12% but you are creating more issues
09-28-2014, 08:08 PM,
Yeah Southernguy --- As I said above, and I have been advised not to use 12% by colourists /stylists in the past , but I can only say that what I outlined , works for me..... I certainly bow to your knowledge in this area ...... another guy near me also uses the same items and he`s really happy too ! I know it goes against the ` grain` , but it works for me !
By all means, let NoHairNoFair have your advice on what you`d recommend and he can then proceed in whatever way he chooses .... kind regards.
09-29-2014, 06:21 AM,
Ok so after doing some research into coloring/toning, I hope I understood this all correctly. If anyone could correct me please do. Toning is the process of removing unwanted tones in the hair, like red, brassy, etc. This is done by introducing a corresponding color to the hair to cancel out the unwanted tone, green to cancel red, blue to cancel orange, etc. The blue and green are lost during processing and overtime to reveal those tones. Coloring is where the actual color of the hair is changed, like black to brown, etc. Toning is a process used along with coloring, and in between coloring. I don't think my system needs more black, just less red and orange tone. I'm sure their will come a time where I will have to color the system towards the end of its life, I suppose when the hair doesn't look black anymore in any decent lighting. But this system is pretty new, and I feel like the red orange color is more of a tone that shows up in a certain amount of light at the right angles. It's not like I really have a red orange piece sitting on my head, it's still a black haired piece. I need a toner, or a toning shampoo or conditioner, that introduces blue and green color to cancel orange and red respectively. Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything here, but if I'm still on the right track. I'm not having an easy time finding products though. Most toning shampoos are purple, marketed for blondes gray or white hair, and I could not find one green shampoo or blue green shampoo. Same thing for toners, but I only checked Amazon and Google for them, don't really know if their are any professional products. Back2natural only goes up to dark brown. I can't find Aufero for sale to the U.S. I only saw black Malva shampoo and color conditioner, it's expensive but idk if that's my best option. I asked my stylist if she would tone it, but when I asked her if she had blue green she said just let me handle it so idk if she's gonna color it black or use what I read I need. If anyone could recommend some toners, or toning shampoo or conditioner products I would greatly appreciate it.
10-01-2014, 01:10 AM,
I works for you Paul because you are blowing the hair up with amonnia or its derivative and the hair is grabbing color uncontrollably. As I recall your hair is very dark so excess grabbing of color is not much of a concern...anyone with lighter hair it definitely will be. In addition you also state "it took ages for the colour to ` develop` and then the hair didn`t go as deep as shade as I wanted" It should take awhile for the color to develope. The reason is so the color can get into the cortex of the hair before it the small molecules start to combine to create larger color molecules and therefor increase durability (They go in in a small hole and get to big to go out the same hole basically). If the color didn't go as deep/dark as you wanted, you didn't let it process long enough or you simply chose a color that was too light. You probably didn't let it process long enough for the color to develop. That color processes for at LEAST 30 minutes on bio hair. Not much color development occurs in the first few minutes. But the main reason is, all of you using permanent hair color are using the wrong type of color on the wrong type of hair. But to each their own. I won't try to convince you of what I have learned in over 25 years . I wear a level 5 with 60 % gray and have zero issues with excessive fading. I get 6 months out of a piece and only have to refresh the color once in that time near the 2 month mark (because the fabric dyes aren't that good they use) and take no special precautions. But as you said, do what works for you ...what do I know LOL.