Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some honest reflection...
09-02-2014, 04:34 PM,
Looking for some honest reflection...
So I'm slowly losing my hair. I'll probably be fine for another year or so, but sooner or later I'm going to need to do something about it. I suspect my sides will stay thick and full but I'll have the classic horseshoe on top. Being bald is not an option for me.

At first glance, a hair system seems to be a viable option. I look at pictures that seem pretty decent, and lots of you guys and others say that nobody ever notices that you're wearing a piece.

But the skeptic in me tells me this can't be true. I feel like there's got to be a noticeable difference in shine and texture between the top piece and the natural sides -- and I feel like people have to notice. Not to mention adhesion issues.

I mean no offense to anyone here by this, so please don't take it that way, but again the skeptic in me says that when I read reports of "undetectability" online, what I'm really seeing is a delusion based on wishful thinking.

I wonder if all these hairpieces really are noticeable and the wearers are only fooling themselves and nobody else.

Now, I don't want this to be true. And if it's not, I'll be happy to jump on board when the time comes. But I can't shake the suspicion that it is.

Am I keying in on something that people just don't want to admit, or am I completely wrong and hairpieces are much, much better than I'm imagining?

Thanks.
09-03-2014, 08:58 AM,
RE: Looking for some honest reflection...
I think you are incorrect, but that being said, from what you have posted anyone saying that isn't going to convince you. You already have it in your head that wearers are deluding themselves. If what you have already seen and read on here hasn't convinced you then nothing short of seeing a wearer in person that you don't know is wearing will change you.
09-03-2014, 08:04 PM,
you've probably only ever seen men wearing really obvious wigs I use the term "wig"!! as a "crude hair piece",modern hair pieces or wigs I will give them a title description deserving of them "hair system "where professional manufacture, +colour matching +density matching bespoke scalp template, in combination with a quality supplier
you are wearing nothing short of a miracle on youre head,

no one here or on any self respecting forum ,web site,I can assure you is deceiving themselves
we are or tend to be perfectionists, to a fault,
and have enough common sense to know if we look good or a laughing stock.
we don't usually believe our own hype, but use the ultimate barometer, the publics reaction, not our own so called deluded mind set.and its a non reaction ,neutral theres nothing to react to or see if the steps to wearing are carried out correctly.its just another head of hair and that's the aim.

try searching utube for hair systems.

or visit a hair system salon and as if you can meet someone who wears
possibly a staff member

5 years of wearing and euphoric

anthony
09-04-2014, 04:03 AM,
I agree with antywanty. You only notice the bad units. And unfortunately you still see those around. People say 'I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that.' But you could be talking to a person with a good hair piece and not even know that he's wearing--they're that good.
Regards,
John
09-04-2014, 06:08 PM,
You want honesty? I'll happily provide it to you.

- No system is undetectable, just different degrees of detectable.

- People notice a lot less than you indicated -- I have worn fairly bad pieces out of necessity, fully expecting people to notice, but they haven't. I have worn two totally different shades of blonde (full cap, one was much darker shade than the other) and my two adolescent stepchildren didn't even notice.

- They can look terrible, be poorly matched in color, and depending where you buy - be very inconsistent from order to order. (My experience the last year, not from TopLace).

- Depending on your balding pattern, hair pieces would be best described as 'the only' option (if balding is not an option, that is.)

- Detectability is directly influenced by three factors (barring random inconsistencies):
Seriousness of the attempt: how serious the attempt is by you,
Effort: how much effort you put into preparation,
Money: how much you are willing to spend.

Be ready to expend all of the above, to different degrees, for the result required. Seriousness is a matter of taking the information available SERIOUSLY. Effort is expending time to achieve it. All the information you need is here.

Wearing can be very stressful, but for most not as much as being bald. (why would we do it otherwise?)
You need to be ready to accept the reality, that you are wearing a wig. You are still you. People will notice you have hair, and perhaps if you do it badly that you are wearing a wig. Either way, it is what makes you happy as a person.

It can be very easy to get lost in getting the most undetectable look, or at least it is for me. Just do it well enough to look good, if the wig is up to scratch (shouldn't be a problem with TopLace) it is dead easy.

After that you make the most of your investment: money to feel more enjoyment out of life. Don't spend the money if you won't cash in on that investment.
09-04-2014, 08:05 PM,
Passionate post
Great info
09-04-2014, 11:56 PM,
Fate

I would agree (with qualifications - see below) to most of what you say, but not the bit about money. I don't know of any product in the world where there is less correlation between what you spend and what you get. You can go to a fancy salon in Manhattan or the West End of London, pay thousands, and come out with a mediocre look or worse. On the other hand for a couple of hundred dollars you can buy a piece off a Web outlet like this, read the information on this free forum, and have a fantastic undetectable look which is nearly as good as getting you own hair back.

As to undetectability, in my view a piece is undetectable if no one actually detects it. OK, it is not strictly speaking undetectable; if someone knows it's there and goes looking for it, they can detect it. But in my experience you can, if you buy from a decent supplier, apply good judgement and follow the guidance here, you can get a look which no one in fact detects, and that's good enough for all practical purposes.
09-05-2014, 12:43 AM,
Baldrich: I concur with you on undetectability, my point was that even the best can be detected at some stage - perhaps by someone determined in the right circumstances -- but the point is, nobody is ever that determined if it doesn't raise suspicion in the first place. And getting a piece to not raise suspicion is dead easy if you do your homework, put the time in and order from a reputable supplier.

About money, I agree and disagree. To qualify what I said a little better, at least speaking as a full cap wearer, you need to be ready to part with money if you want the best look. Spending it well is important and going to fancy salons is as you say, a waste of money. But if you are expecting to only get 2 pieces a year, be ready for detectability issues and/or more expenditure of effort.
09-05-2014, 09:31 AM,
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll keep an open mind and give a Toplace unit a shot when the time comes.
09-07-2014, 03:21 AM,
One point that should also be considered is the 'So what?' aspect. Many men and women too wear hair so that they can get a date. They don't want to be 'left behind.' And the truth is that many women have either had something done to themselves to make them look better or have considered it. Many more would probably already have done something but didn't have the money. They appreciate the fact that a man wants to look his best. And that includes everything from getting your teeth fixed to staying in shape. I've heard many stories about girlfriends finding out that their guy wears hair and it didn't phase them. They've just happy that he's trying to look his best. It's no secret that women have had work done to improve their appearance. The American Academy of Plastic Surgeons reports that 14.6 million cosmetic procedures were done in 2012. That's up 5% from the prior year.
Regards,
John