Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thin skin questions
07-30-2014, 07:55 AM,
Thin skin questions
Firstly, yes I've searched. Just wanted to throw that out there. I'm looking for some updated info from thin skin wearers.

I'm looking into perhaps trying out a thin skin piece but I have a couple questions from people who've been wearing for while. First question is about the hairline. I've read some mixed opinions about the hairline on skin pieces. I wear an exposed hairline and I always will. Is it possible is achieve a good hairline with thin skin? Can it look as natural as a lace hairline? How prominent is the line where the thin skin ends at the hairline? And finally, what about lifting? It would be nice to not get the bleed through from the glue. Whenever I wear a hat or a bandana (when I ride my motorcycle) the glue bleeds through into the hair and I have to do a full detach to clean it up.

Second question, do you find your pieces last longer? For me, I get a lot of shedding on my lace piece. What is the shedding like on thin skin?

Last question, do you find that the thin skin is hot when in the gym or outside? Does it itch more or feel nasty after sweating?

Thanks guys! Any pictures would be of great help.
08-01-2014, 02:13 AM,
RE: Thin skin questions
I would also like to know the answers to some of your questions.
08-01-2014, 05:43 AM,
i wear skin (poly) and its been ok, but I m still on the fence about the hairline.
Myne has a flower rippled edge to the hairline, I think id like a graduated hairline for my next piece, just to sell the illusion,rather than a thick wall of hair, I think my straight edge was thinner than the current one I have,
which is as I describe as, well imagine a flower and the edge around the petals in a curvy line
my current edge is like that

Attached Files Image(s)

08-01-2014, 05:52 AM,
That`s known as a `Scalloped` edge .... it`s not really widely-used now ...was popular some time back...I`ve worn one [Topper] .....one big problem is you`re going to have Glue / tape ` exposed` where the gaps are..... it`s just too ` fiddly` to be dealing with.... I can see no advantage to having this design..... a regular curved front, and a graduated hairline works just fine.... my 2 -cents worth !
08-01-2014, 09:58 AM,
..but on a skin unit the beauty is that you can and should put adheasive on the units leading edge in the front so no matter the shape it isn't an issue and you wont get glue on skin that isn't covered.
08-01-2014, 02:31 PM,
Hi Americanjambo,
We have 2 skin models. The TL 400 is .06 mm thin skin. The hair is normally V looped but we can do single strand injected if requested at no additional cost. We can put on a 1" lace front on this unit at no extra cost if you like. This unit will last as long as a lace unit.
Our other skin unit is the TL 700 which is the New Generation base and it's .03 mm. It can only have V looped venting as it is too thin for single strand injection. The hair line is excellent--as good as any lace unit. Due to the thinness this unit is delicate and usually lasts about a month less than a lace unit.
If you're getting glue through your lace base it's because you're probably putting the lace down before it gets tacky--the glue is still wet and running through the lace. Allow it to dry partially and then put the lace down. That's one of the benefits of a skin unit--you don't have to be concerned with the glue running through. I've know a guy in New Mexico that only wears skin and it's not uncomfortable. Another advantage of skin is that you can use 'Got 2 Be Glued Spiking Glue' for a light bond. The beauty of that is that you can easily change it after a workout--it cleans up with water. I usually get 4-6 days from that type of bond. For people that like to frequently wash their scalp and not spend a lot of time with clean up this is a nice advantage.
Regards,
John
08-01-2014, 07:55 PM,
I read on another site that they are willing to sell a skin unit with very small holes all over the base to help with ventilation. Would that be a possibilty?
08-02-2014, 01:33 AM,
Thanks for the past John! I only get glue in the hair when i wear a hat or a bandana. I wait until the glue is dried and tacky, it's just that my body chemistry breaks down ORWG very quickly and it gets oily and gummy but still holds good for 4-5 days.

Do you have any close up pictures of thin skin hairlines?

You said that it lasts a month less than lace. Is this because the skin starts to tear or degrade, or because it sheds?
08-02-2014, 05:44 AM,
thanks paul ,my next order will include a grad hl and straight curved hairline edge
08-06-2014, 05:00 PM,
I am having the same shedding issues with the SFS, I literally get about 1.5 months out of a unit nowadays, its unreal. I ordered a thin skin but it came from the factory totally unwearable so I now have to send it back. So apparently I am looking to get about 15 days from my new thinskin...What is going on here nowadays?