Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
23 y/o Looking into Partial Template, need advice (pics)
07-06-2014, 11:33 AM,
RE: 23 y/o Looking into Partial Template, need advice (pics)
Thanks for the help. I actually made a new, better template as well that shows a more accurate hairline.

Any suggestions on a specific base and also density percentage? I'm not showing hairline, but I want a base that can withstand sweat from working out. And Paul, I made a template labeled with all hair flowing forward.
07-06-2014, 09:06 PM,
You have to choose between lace and ` skin` [ polyurethane] bases.
It`s a trade-off... lace is by far the best for ` breatheability` .... by doing a perimeter-only bond [rather than glue all over the scalp], you allow 90% of the covered-area to breath ...moisture can evaporate off, and heat escapes normally too [we lose most of our body heat through the scalp]...you can shower /allow water at your system, thus helping to dilute /wash off sweat etc. Ideally though, in order to properly clean your head,and remove oils, remove the system and shampoo your head in the normal way...... the area which has had the bonding-materials on it needs to be regularly cleaned...sweat, oils and dead skin cells gets trapped under any adhesive material...leaving a bond in place for too long is asking for trouble ...skin-irritations and possible infection can occur ..best to avoid problems by debonding regularly.... also, if you can leave the system off one night a week or so, it`s good for the skin.
All-poly systems ......well, with an active lifestyle, my opinion is they can be a lot more work....your scalp /pores can`t breath and sweat etc. has no place to go.....you also have to do an all-over [glued] bond with them usually because otherwise air will be trapped under it and is detectable to touch as it`s a bit like a balloon..... it`s harder to remove a poly system too ..you have to begin at the edge/s [ with lace-release to break down the bond] and gradually peel it back...the upside is residue is easier to clean off of poly....it`s also more robust than lace...the hair will usually ` fail` before the poly does.... acids in sweat will eventually weaken /affect poly too and you get holes appearing in it, but that would be after much wear.French lace will also last quite well ..it`s not going to disintegrate within 3 or 4 weeks !
French lace is stronger than Swiss, for your active lifestyle/ exercise .... it`s only marginally ` thicker` or ` heavier ` [ I wear it always] and will withstand much ` abuse`....your main concern is to get the correct glue /tape which will cope with a lot of sweating..... for me, tapes are easier to work with...you can apply them directly to the lace or poly base and ` see` where you are placing them...there`s also less ` mess` when cleaning /removing...... you can apply glue directly to poly, but NEVER should you apply glue directly to lace...it will seep through onto the hair and solidify into clumps ...just don`t go there !!
You could also consider a poly perimeter and French lace base .... only issue can be hair is injected into poly and tied-in by hand onto lace ..there can therefore be a ` conflict` with the angle the hair lies in between one material and the other .... I`ve worn a poly-perimeter system many times in my Topper-wearing days and it was never an issue for me.
As for your density ... just send plenty photos to John --he`ll forward them to the factory ---- he`ll have the best idea of what to order for you...you want something ` north` of light but not actually medium, from what I can see.....you`ll have a graduated -front too [lighter density at the front hairline area, gradually increasing as you goo ` back` ]
As long as your template reflects your natural hairline around the temples etc. you should be fine..... I know this is a daunting prospect, but just having the correct research done, and also a good supply of products both for bonding and maintaining will make this a lot easier. It`s a steep learning-curve at the start for most people.
07-07-2014, 01:03 PM,
Hey Paul,

I decided to go with Poly in back and sides and a French lace system. I may talk to John later to discuss. Thanks again for the help.
07-07-2014, 07:18 PM,
Hi JerG..... you`re welcome and look forward to seeing your results in time to come.... Poly is very robust and very easy to apply bonding materials to and also, to clean residues from.
If you stay with a regular cycle of removal, you should have little if any major issues with tape / glue after breaking down into a gooey mess....guys get tempted to leave their systems on too long, and the clean -up can be a real time-consuming pain in the butt!
If you specify half-inch wide poly, you can then order tape/s in the same width thus giving you a match-up! For such a small system [partial ] I reckon you don`t want /need a bigger width for the poly ...a first system is always a `starting -point` for us all ...there will inevitably be aspects of it that you want to change /` adjust` on subsequent orders/ systems.
10-05-2015, 04:28 PM,
Can we see a pic of the final product?
10-06-2015, 03:12 AM,
Hi JerG,

Paul is right, you can avoid a gummy mess if you take off and clean your system regularly. Tape comes off easily. Glue might require you to spend some time rubbing it with some alchohol.

I have no experience with skin/poly. But I would say that the biggest advantage to wearing one, for a beginner, is that you can use G2B glue (a sticky hair gel) on it with no problem at all.

I have tried G2B on an all lace system. What I found is that when I applied too little, the bond was not sufficient. And so I was temped to apply a lot. What would happen sometimes is I would apply too much, and the bottom of the lace and the hair near the bottom would absorb it. Essentially, I got too much in the system hair. And when soaked in the G2B hair gel, your system hair becomes rock hard with a wet look. It was not that big of a deal, but when I overapplied, I would have to 1) take off the system, 2) wash it again 3) wait for it to dry, 4) apply again. You really want privacy when dealing with your boding as a newbie. Locking yourself in your bathroom, while a family member waits for you outside can put a lot of pressure on you on the spot. And if your bathroom is muggy/hot and causes you to sweat, that can make the bonding much more difficult.

I definitely recommend G2B glue though. Your poly back and sides will give you the option of trying out the G2B. In the front, you can use tape or a proper glue like ORWG. I also used G2B at the hairline, but I ran into the issues I mentioned above. I would like to experiment with skin systems so that I can use G2B everywhere, including the hairline, but my stylist is against it, so I may try that later down the line when I am more experienced myself.
12-29-2016, 11:17 AM,
Any updates on what the partial piece turned out to look like? I am looking for something similair for a front partial piece so I appreciate the advice given on this section.