Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Day 2 of Wearing
04-17-2013, 05:53 AM,
RE: Day 2 of Wearing
Some really good points Hersute. Worrying and paying an unhealthy amount of attention to hair has taken up such a big chunk of my life, as it has with you and probably many others. Its gonna be difficult to change the thinking habits, as u say.

However, I am having issues with this system, the camera isnt picking them up. The shine is settling down, but the lace is starting to have a grubby look after just 4 days which seems to be making the lace more visible. I can only presume its the glue starting to break down. Its not helped by the hair laying flatter now than it did, as that seems to be making the crown area look bigger. The density on this is a good match for the rest of my hair as im quite thinning at the front. I think a higher density isnt gonna sit right,  but I just don't feel confident with the crown. I think the only way im going to be able to deal with that is maybe get a skin system. Maybe that would be a good compromise. If i know the crown is as undetectable as possible (no grid pattern or discolouring), I think I'll be a lot happier.

Actually, the grubby look could have just been the hairs seemed to be clumping together near the base, also sticking to the base a little. I've just carefully separated then with a comb, which has helped. God! I really thought this wearing lark was going to be a doddle! Lol

Attached Files Image(s)

04-17-2013, 06:53 AM,
It sounds to me and from something you said earlier in this thread, that you may not be letting the glue cure properly, between layers,
and then sitting the lace onto it..hairs shouldn`t be sticking to the lace or together...if they are, then something is ` going on`. If the hairs are clumping together a bit, this will lead to more visibility of the lace, as it gives the impression of an even ighter density than you actually have.
Digital cameras ` magnify` every last detail and things which look ok to the normal human eye, can tend to look very ` off` when viewed
on a pic taken with one. Yes, your density is [relatively] light there and I totally understand your anxieties, but most casual observers are
paying little if any attention to the top of your head..... certainly skin systems don`t ` suffer` from that grid pattern effect, but they can
have their own issues....I like the breatheability of lace..when I wore toppers, I only ever did a perimeter bond [still do with a Fullcap].....
I guess you`re wearing a relatively small system ? You could try a skin system and just use Got2b glued to hold it on..... a lot less hassle
than ` normal` glues, only that you need to de/re-bond more often and it will not withstand a lot of moisture [profuse sweating] in comparison
with ` proper` glue /tapes. It`s all part of the learning-curve --- [no pun intended] but stick with it and you`ll find what suits you best...good luck.
p.s. --this is what you said earlier `` still feels tacky in places`` -- it shouldn`t feel tacky at all....maybe the glue you`re using isn`t compatible
with your physiology...try another type and see how it ` behaves` .
04-17-2013, 07:08 AM,
As Paul has said, these are all inherent problems with lace, glues and physiology.
It takes some getting used to and working out.

But I like your idea of a skin crown.
I think that may work very well for you.
Lots of new threads popping up here on various types of skin systems as more and more wearers change over to them.
It could be your solution.
04-17-2013, 07:38 AM,
Paul, your definitely right. It does tend to clump together making the density look even lower than it is. As you say, this is probably down to the tackiness that seems to be there still. I did have it cut in and fitted by a stylist, who did a brilliant job for me. And I did wait well over 24 hours for the glue to cure properly before getting it wet. So maybe I should suggest a glue.

I think my next order will definitly be a skin system. Going to have a nosey at some threads now.

Thanks again fellas.
04-17-2013, 07:53 AM,
In the meantime, it might not have been the water that weakened the glue, it might be the oils in your skin,
in which case I'd recommend Oil Resistant White Glue.
04-17-2013, 08:07 AM,
Bollo, I think you misunderstand what I meant..... did the stylist do the bond too ? With glues, it`s VITAL to apply thin layers [ usually at least 2, sometimes 3] and you MUST allow each coat to go practically dry...never EVER press / push lace down onto wet glue.....the glue will seep through the lace, onto the hair/s and solidify into clumps of hair......... glue takes a full 24 hours to fully ` cure` ...after that you can expose it to normal
daily activities such as water in the shower etc.... water will not make the glue go any way ` tacky` ....... if it does, then the glue is not fit for purpose....... many people , new to this, are ` anxious` not to let the glue solidify before pressing the lace down.... I totally understand that ` anxiety` .....most ` everyday` glues for sticking paper, wood etc. , need to be wet when used ......the glues for systems are totally different..... a good rule of thumb is to leave at least 15 minutes elapse between coats, thus ensuring the glue is not still ` wet`...... it`s best to sit in a cool room, and ensure you`ve been sitting quietly for a while so as not to have any type of sweat on the scalp....rub your bald area with a cotton pad moistened with alcohol [surgical spirit or your alcohol-based glue melter will suffice]...this will remove oils/ sweat and ensure the skin is squeaky-clean......you then apply your layers of glue as outlined...... always allow the last coat to also cure for 15 minutes or so....that will ensure a good solid hold and no issue with glue going through the lace.
I suggest , when you de-bond,you gently free up those clumps by applying some glue melter /citrus-based solvent to the hairs , near the base of the hairs.... allow a few minutes to soften, and then gently comb the ` tangles` out[don`t ` force` anything..be gentle with the process--if you meet resistance,simply apply more melter] ....shampoo and condition as normal....that`ll help restore the density ` look` and help provide more coverage of the lace.....my guess is that the stylist ` rushed` the process [as they tend to do] and also, the glue used may not be compatible with your individual physiology....hope that helps.