Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get rid of the Gooey stuff...
08-02-2009, 04:01 PM,
How to get rid of the Gooey stuff...
I recently started wearing. Its a good feeling overall and its awesome what I can do with my hair now. I can get styles I couldn't even when my natural hair was full density. I still have a long way to go in terms of getting the right haircut, a perfect cut-in, and getting used to the new look...but overall its pretty good.

I have a question though. I've been using Walker no shine tape and I love it because its easy to apply and seems to hold well. However, I left it on too long last time. More than I realized, it turned gooey underneath, mostly in the back. Clean up wasn't too bad but I can't figure out how to get the goo out of the base. Most of it washed out, but there is still a stickiness there when I touch it.
Any ideas?? I'm worried its going to affect the hold of the new tape I'm applying.
Thanks guys!
08-02-2009, 04:06 PM,
Re: How to get rid of the Gooey stuff...
By the way...although I have already had some frustrations wearing hair, it has been HEAVEN ON EARTH not using Toppik coverup anymore!!
I don't miss it a bit!!!!
08-02-2009, 05:32 PM,
I did a re-attachment today, in which I had the same gooey mess (I also left the piece on for too long). I did 3 things differently this time than all the other times and I got my piece pretty clean. Yes even non-sticky to the touch!

1) After taking it off, I put 99% alcohol on the goo, then did a mirror slide (where you slide your piece on a mirror, smearing the goo onto the mirror, then clean up the mirror afterwards. I kept smearing the goo on the mirror until I couldn't feel anymore stickiness on the piece.

2) I then sprayed the piece with Dissolvit ("dissolve it") to ensure I dissolve any thin layer of goo I had missed. Not sure this step is necessary though.

3) I left the piece to soak in the sink with shampoo on it, while I showered (so 15 minutes).

After I got out of the shower, I rinsed the shampoo off the piece, and blow dried the lace. It was the cleanest I've gotten it.
**Don't put water on goo, it just makes it worse. Alcohol seems to clump the goo together, so when I smear it on the mirror, they clump and smear off.

Try these steps, and see if it works for you. Good luck!

Leamon
08-03-2009, 03:46 AM,
Thanks leamon! I'll definitely try that.
08-03-2009, 01:37 PM,
For nearly two years I suffered the gooey mess. Now I use lace release and then then take the piece off my head 10 mins later. Next I spray the tape with adhesive remover and then place the unit in the freezer for an hour. Then I use a micro fibre towel and rub the now hardened tape off towards the hair and it comes off quite easily and the the lace looks like the day I got the piece.

I hope this helps - let me know how you get on with it.

Best Wishes

Dan
08-03-2009, 03:38 PM,
deano59 Wrote:For nearly two years I suffered the gooey mess. Now I use lace release and then then take the piece off my head 10 mins later. Next I spray the tape with adhesive remover and then place the unit in the freezer for an hour. Then I use a micro fibre towel and rub the now hardened tape off towards the hair and it comes off quite easily and the the lace looks like the day I got the piece.

I hope this helps - let me know how you get on with it.

Best Wishes

Dan

If I understand correctly the tape stays on the unit when you remove it ?

I don't understand why some people have so much trouble (lace base) with tape and the base.
If you use lace release (or alcohol) correctly the tape remains attached to your head, not the
unit, when you remove it.
I have no problems at all with the tape remaining on the unit. The tape always remains on my head.

Smile
Fred
08-04-2009, 04:10 AM,
Sprtiz the area with Pure, let stand for a few minutes, mirror slide.

If any stickiness remains, get a sheet of pallet wrap (the plastic that is used to hold boxes on pallets for shipping) and ball it up and wipe it across the affected area with your unit upside down on a styro head. The pallet wrap has a tackiness to it that grabs trapped adhesive. The mirror removes the bulk, the plastic removes the rest.

Hint- Normal kitchen wrap is not as effective.
10-22-2016, 09:18 PM,
RE: How to get rid of the Gooey stuff...
when you use pallet wrap wouldnt that pull at the lace at the front and cause the lace to fray?