Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First cut in with thin skin (PICS)
01-30-2013, 12:42 PM,
First cut in with thin skin (PICS)
Just got a cut in about 10 minutes ago. Stock thin skin unit. I haven't washed or styled it yet, but will add more pics when I do. The first thing I have to say is WOW! I am now a true believer in skin as opposed to lace. Absolutely worth the few extra dollars if you get custom units. Hands down! My TL100 could absolutely not match the realism of this puppy from what I can tell so far. John explained to me that it is a stock TL700(John, please correct me if I'm wrong). If you are thinking about ordering soon and haven't tried skin yet. I urge you to.

The camera on my phone is horrible. Sorry for the quality. Can't wait to get this baby broken in.

Attached Files Image(s)

01-30-2013, 03:45 PM,
RE: First cut in with thin skin (PICS)
Hello S10jam, a few questions, does the wear feel natural, do you glue or tape it down, once on the head is the hold strong like lace. Does it get hot under the thin skin?
Thanks for your time
01-31-2013, 01:41 AM,
I see you've gone for a comb-down front.
Could you expose the hairline if you wanted to?
Colour match & blend looks GOOD!
01-31-2013, 03:43 AM,
i like the crown area
01-31-2013, 09:27 AM,
It's good to see pics from a skin wearer - that's pretty rare around here. I am also a wearer who switched to thin skin and can't imagine going back to lace. Thin skin is the way to go if you want a natural scalp appearance and realistic feel to the hair. I have to say though that looking at your pics, I don't know why you would go for such a light density. Why fix your balding problem by doing something that makes it look like you are severly balding? You appear to have good side and back hair so you need a higher density crown area. Maybe that's the only density Toplace had in stock skin units and that's the reason.
01-31-2013, 10:09 AM,
I hear so much conflicting information over skin vs lace. I got some samples from another company and the lace is clearly superior to the skin. I wish I was able to obtain a sample of the thinnest lace and thinnest skin from here.

Hairenough I think his density is pretty good, I dont think anyone who will see that will question that he's wearing! I disagree that he looks "severely balding." Ive seen many people that are not bald that have a natural low density and they are not balding either. Also keep in mind that photo's and lighting will highlight it more then in real life. Hairenough you stated you cant imagine going back, why is that? What are the pro's and cons for you.
01-31-2013, 12:44 PM,
I would also like to see a picture with the front hair comb back!
02-01-2013, 12:39 AM,
I would also like to know about the attachment. Is there anybody wearing a thin skin that uses tape and no glue at all?

Hairenough, please tell us why you won't go back to lace and also what you mean by "a more realistic feel to the hair".

Muchas gracias!!!
02-01-2013, 04:34 AM,
Ok here's my take on why I love skin more than lace. This is strictly regarding injected hair, not the v-looping method. And this is with a full head glue bond (which imo is essential for a thin skin system and with lace is much better too:

The first thing is the scalp. It just looks so incredibly real compared to lace. There are no knots. And when you part it anywhere or look at the crown (pics in this thread are not a geat example to be quite honest) the scalp looks slightly lighter in color, just like real scalp does, in comparison to the skin on the face.

And every hair is individually coming out of the base, instead of being tied in groups to a single knot. With the base being translucent it looks like the hairs fade into the hair follicle under the skin. Real scalp skin is translucent at the surface too and looks the same. Single hair injection not only appears realistic but means you get much less bulk than with a lace system. Touching the hair feels light and soft because of this, even at higher densities. If you compare a 75% lace unit to a 75% injected skin unit you will instantly feel how much more natural and light the hair feels on the skin unit.

Hair direction will remain the same as when you bought it and you won't get all those random hairs sticking straight up like with lace units when you've worn it for a few weeks and the knots loosen. You won't get any pull-through to cause itching underneath. You won't have a sticky mesy hairline because for the very front edge you put the glue on the base instead of the scalp, then there is no extra glue out the front. When you part the hair it looks REAL even up as close as your eye can get. I can't express it enough. No more mesh grid pattern. No more awful knots. How many people with really dark hair are tired of knots that simply can't be bleached? And a crown that doesn't look natural?

When you wash your hair, water doesn't get under the base to weaken the glue.

When it's time to clean the glue off the unit it's a real easy task compared to lace. Just wipe on some Goo Gone or Autoglym Tar remover, leave sitting for half an hour, and then wash the glue off with dawn dish soap. Repeat the dish soap part 2 or 3 times until it is really clean. It comes off much easier than with lace. There is no mirror sliding mess to worry about and no glue getting stuck in the holes and in the hair of the lace. I shaved 30 minutes off my clean up time just by switching to skin.

The hot head myth. I don't know what some people mean when they say skin is too hot. I think either they are wearing thick skins or they are not attaching with a full head bond, leaving air and sweat to be trapped and cause heat.

The one and only downside that I see is not easily being able to have a brush forward style with a spiked up hairline. If you want this style it will be hard to get the hair to go straight up or back because the hairs are injected forward (unless you choose all brush back injection). But for me this is no problem as I go with a short spikey style with the front half inch or so brushed forward and to the side. Like this:

[Image: DavidArchuletaShortHairstyle.jpg]

And sometimes I do it like this:

[Image: 119-men-asian-short-straight-hair-dark.jpg]

I used to wear a spiked up style but that can be restrictive at times like when wearing hats and worrying about getting fluff stuck to the front of the lace, or wearing helmets, or generally having to maintain a flawless hairline at all times. So for me a cool short choppy brushed forward to the side style looks cool and with thin skin life is so much easier.

A good clean lace hairline is still better for those spiked up hairlines but thin skin wins in every other way for me.
02-01-2013, 05:18 AM,
Best post EVER on thin skins!

Thank you!