Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using two hair pieces together to solve issues
01-05-2013, 06:42 PM,
Using two hair pieces together to solve issues
Guys,

Got some serious shedding I didn't realize in the back. Can't wait 6 weeks for a new system. Has anyone ever cut up and used two hair pieces? I was thinking about cutting a portion out of my full cap and replacing it with a portion of some old toppers I have that still have great enough density

I really hope I can get a response ASAP, btw I'll post pics soon, sorry i've been so MIA. Young + working troubles.

Thanks guys!

Dan
01-05-2013, 07:51 PM,
RE: Using two hair pieces together to solve issues
hi! i remember that I saw some pics of you in the past...you're young ...why are you wearing a full cap? what kind of hairstyle do you have?
01-05-2013, 08:14 PM,
Needed to do it man. I wore a long style to cover up but needed something that was more convenient.

I still have a bit of a longer style but covering up the back as it currently is, is really risky.

Seriously can I integrate two pieces. Figured cutting would be like solving a puzzle. Anyone have any thoughts?
01-05-2013, 09:28 PM,
Would using some concealer powder work -- assuming the shedding isn`t too severe yet, you might get away with it.
Debbie sells a lace repair kit which is basically a light nylon thread and needle, also a length of lace and a glue..... if you were to try your idea, it might be worth getting that kit, if the area is relatively large. I`ve not heard of someone ` patching` a fullcap like that, but I guess it`s feasible, as long as you`re careful when cutting....that kit might be worth getting though, otherwise how will you join the edges.....alternatively, I reckon if you cut out a ` square` from an old topper, a little larger than the one you cut from your fullcap, then shave off the hair all the way around, just a FEW millimetres inside the edge of the lace, that would give you a ` bare` surface, so you could glue that to the lace on your system....you`d have like an ` island` of hair on the ` patch` with `bare` lace all around the edge, which would adhere to the ` inside` of your base, with the hair ` poking` out of the area you had cut away.....that way, you wouldn`t be trying to join edge-to-edge---it would be very hard to do that ..the lace would keep fraying, so you`d have to stitch them together `in` a few grids of lace, and that would leave a really lumpy seam. .hope that makes sense !
You`d be best to pin the system to a styrofoam head, to secure it properly, before attempting a cut, otherwise you`ll easily go all crooked, with your line....same with cutting out the ` patch` ..pin it down to prevent movement.
This is an example of why it`s best to always have a ` standby` system on hand.......sudden shedding can occur and leave you in this predicament.
Think I`d use ` Nair` to ` clean` / remove some hair around the edge of the patch..if you try shaving the hair ,you`ll probably slice through the lace. I guess, try making the ` patch` first..see how you get on with doing that, as there`s no harm done if you mess-up with that, before deciding whether or not to cut any part of your fullcap.
You could also consider just using tape to hold the patch onto the system.
01-05-2013, 11:20 PM,
I have cut up and joined two pieces before, but this was on a topper.
As Paul says, you need to use a head to work out the shape of what you're cutting and joining.
To maintain the curve and keep the whole thing fitting properly, the shape & seams to be joined won't be what you would necessarily think they'd be.
If you cut out the balding bit, you would use that as your template for the new piece, but cut the new piece a bit bigger all round.
Then, as again I think Paul said, you need to make a boarder of lace on the new piece that is hairless.
I have shaved the lace before and its worked, but you need to be careful.
I use see-thru nylon thread to sew the seams and make very tiny stitches from the underside that are looped through the holes of the lace.
You just have to be careful afterwards not to brush or comb the piece too hard.
Doing this should give you enough time to order a new piece, but you may have to restitch it the meantime.
Best of luck.
01-12-2013, 09:52 AM,
I cannibalize old pieces all the time. I cut out parts and sew them onto current unit. Sometimes this can come out awesome. Other times it comes out good enough to get by untill your next unit.

Use sewing thread color that matches hair color. If you want a better hold then put some kind of fabric glue on the thread (on inside of cap of course) and the sew will hold nicely

I do this all the time. You will gget good at doing this. When cannibalizing pay attention to the hair direction of the part you are taking from the old unit as to where you willbe sewing and what is the hair direction where you will be sewing

Sometimes it will come out not how you wanted it to . Just cut threads try again with another cannibal part from other unit. I just get another part and try again.
This has come in handy many times. I am almost as good as a surgeon. Do not try on front hairline. This almost never works. Sides are easy , back is easy , any little bald spot etc easy stuff
01-13-2013, 02:02 AM,
If the problem is at the front then try and cut the offending part further back and in a straight line, this helps solve any problems you may encounter.
11-03-2017, 10:14 AM,
Has anyone ever tried this with a swiss lace fullcap?
11-07-2017, 04:57 AM,
I am about to do the same thing. I have experienced a little more hair loss than my unit covers and need a new unit. I need to order a couple of new ones but I need to find a new stylist first, so to fix the problem I am going to cut up an old unit and attach it to another. I remember someone doing this on this forum years ago when he accidentally cut his unit in almost half when trying a new hair cut on it.