Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airport Screening
09-19-2012, 02:41 PM,
Airport Screening
Has anyone had any issues with airport scanners when going through security? I know the protocol with packing supplies, but would like to know if the scanners will detect when wearing a system? It might vary by country, but would like get anyone's experience with flying throughout the U.S. I fly a lot throughout the U.S and would really like to get thoughts on this so I know what to expect.

Thanks,
Pete
09-19-2012, 02:53 PM,
RE: Airport Screening
I fly quite a bit, and have been for years, and wearing a piece the whole time. I have never had an issue. I can't imagine there is anything a scanner would pick up, unless you have clips on your piece.
09-19-2012, 05:15 PM,
I heard second hand (through the guy who cuts my hair) that some of the screens do pick up tape now. One of his other customers got his wife to watch the screen as he went through the scanner, and she said the white horseshoe shape of his tape was visible on his head. It wasn't screaming for attention, but it was visible. They didn't touch the guys piece or ask him about it though, so it seems they aren't worried about hairpieces and/or they know to be discreet.

I would rather this didn't show up, but I am not too worried provided there are no awkward questions or touching. I guess if you don't want the issue to arise you could use an all glue attachment.
09-20-2012, 12:05 PM,
Pete, can you please let me know whats the protocol with packing supplies? I would love to know. Please share your method....

Thanks
09-20-2012, 01:59 PM,
Journey,

I do not wear yet but regarding the alcohol, etc. my understanding is that there are no issues as long as everything fits in the approved bottles and bag/case. I asked the question about the screening because that would be a real hassle if security needed to the system.

Hope this helps.
Pete
09-30-2012, 01:21 AM,
The full body scanners will detect hair pieces This has personally happened to me. One of the TSA guys gestured to my head, but the other TSA guy let me go thru. I don't wear clips. Just tape around perimeter and down the middle, with glue along hairline.

John
09-30-2012, 05:38 AM,
I understand that they can see the tape !

johnny/albuquerque
09-30-2012, 05:58 AM,
I've emailed the TSA Offices today to get a definitive answer about detection and the subsequent procedure, with an emphasis on an individual's right to privacy.
We'll see what they say.

Ok, I got a reply. Despite me asking quite specific questions regarding tapes, glues, screening, detectability and a passenger's rights to privacy, I got a fairly genetic reply.

Regarding hairpieces specifically all they said was:

"If a passenger’s hairpiece sets off the metal detector alarm, the hairpiece must be inspected visually and the passenger’s head area must be searched with a limited patdown. If the Transportation Security Officer (TSO) determines that the hairpiece needs to be removed, the TSO must offer the person the opportunity to remove the hairpiece in a private screening area. If the individual declines the private screening, he or she must remove the hairpiece in the public screening area. We advise passengers to use non-metal hairpins to secure their hairpieces. Any passenger who does not permit the search will not be permitted to board an aircraft."
We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

So, they obviously don't want to divulge what their scanners can & can't detect, for security reasons.
But I think their point is, Its not the wearing of a hairpiece thats a problem, its if its considered to be concealing a prohibited item.
If a scanner can successfully detect a piece, it would also reveal that it wasn't concealing something and therefore is of no interest to them.
Whatever the issue, it would have to be dealt with in private if it needed to be removed.
But reading between the lines, it sounds like a 'pat-down' could be conducted in a public place.
But ONLY if there was something to raise suspicion other than the hairpiece itself.
09-30-2012, 02:15 PM,
Hello, I travel very often from Ney York to Fort Lauderdale, sometimes 2x a month. I have already answered this question on many of the different forums. Let me assure you that the tape does come thru on the scanner. I was pulled over once and my scan was still on the screen. I saw a ghost image of my whole body. I saw 3 white highlights on the screen. One was my watch, the second was my ring on my finger and the 3rd was a half horseshoe halo arround my head that was my tapes that I wear on the back and side poly. Now remember it could of been the poly that showed up and not the tape. No big deal. The officer just examined my hair closely and let me go thru. If he would of asked I would of told him I wear a piece. I am sure I am not the only one. The biggest laugh is that my passport picture is still me before I started wearing and then they get to see me in person with the hair peice. Here in Canada the passports are good for 5 years so in December I get to take a new picture, HA!HA!. I have had a couple of agents ask me whats up , and I told them I wear and he was shocked because he would of never been able to tell.
09-30-2012, 02:17 PM,
Hersute,

Thanks for taking the time to research the screening. I think we should be fine.

All the best,
Pete