Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long do you get out of a piece?
07-14-2012, 06:14 AM,
How long do you get out of a piece?
Hi folks,

Just wondering what is the average time you get out of a piece, and if you ever do small repairs where the hair has shedded by cutting a little bit of an old piece and sewing it in with invisable thread?

Thanks a lot
needmorehelp
07-14-2012, 03:50 PM,
RE: How long do you get out of a piece?
Depends on a few factors. How gentle are you when you handle a piece. Products are important. No shampoos with sulfate, no products with alcohol.
I use a daily leave in conditioner. I only wash the piece twice a week. Longevity is also dependent on the base material. I do get about 6 months from a Swiss Lace piece. Using knot sealer can help as well. As they say your mileage may vary. Of course the quality of the piece is first and foremost.
07-14-2012, 04:23 PM,
I really don't expect to get more than 4 months out of a piece,but as stated above YMMV.
07-14-2012, 11:16 PM,
Before I bought in bulk and when I was paying a lot for my pieces, I would constantly add bits using see-thru thread, patching and repairing.
I'd cut out the bare area and put a piece of spare in its place from underneath, pulling the hairs through the hole and stitching it down.
It works to a degree but you have to be careful brushing & combing, not to catch the threads.
Its not until you get a brand new piece that you realise what a pain your old patched up one was.
07-15-2012, 03:26 AM,
I get about 2-3 months. The hair is never a problem - always the base. I have lace that starts fraying after the first attachment - all the way around - not just the front Sad
07-19-2012, 02:10 AM,
reubin that doesn't sound normal. I've never had any premature fraying and my pieces go through a lot of abuse. When the front starts to fray a little I just trim a little off and it's ok again.

As for longevity I don't expect more than 3 months out of a piece. Having said that, when I change to a new one the old one is still perfectly usable as a spare if I need it. But I love the feeling of getting new piece on and cutting it in for the first time with the opportunity to change the style a bit.
07-19-2012, 05:13 AM,
I only get fraying at the front too. Fortunately, my hair & the lace are pretty much the same colour and the only way I notice is that the lace strand has a corrugated appearance & like Hairenough says, I just trim it off. But we're not talking much, just the odd few millimetres.
07-19-2012, 10:15 AM,
I use mine longer than I should. The two I have currently are over a year old! Have a full-cap coming and then will order another one as soon as I see the specs are ok. My trouble with going so long is color fade then not same as my existing hair. Hope full cap solves that problem. Plus my thinning sides are hard to cover.
07-19-2012, 03:27 PM,
I am on my first hair system....I started to wear it in March....it is a swiss lace, low density....I wear it all the time. I get it De-tached and Re-attached once a week and mine still looks great.
07-20-2012, 07:55 AM,
using my current one, 2nd system,
id like to get a year, i stretched my first one to under 18 months, and could have gone further
if id dared to colour the peice,

having seid that id say 12 months is reaching the max.

but the variables are allways there, so each ones diffrent, in its quality and its wearers lifestyle and treatment of it, country temp, ect.

but you lot already know that. offcourse you do.