Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First post in years. New style with some pictures
11-28-2012, 12:15 AM,
RE: First post in years. New style with some pictures
I understand the need to have an age appropriate piece. However, what's the point in wearing if not to look your best. For me, as I do not suit the receded look at all, in fact I have more natural hair now than that toupee, I wouldn't bother with such a heavy recessed toupee down the line. I have a 50 year old uncle with thick norwood 1.5. that's what I'm aiming for!

I'm not being critical, it's all down to how the guy feels in himself.
11-28-2012, 01:19 AM,
The biggest reason IMO names like "rugs" and comedians having fun with toupee's is because people have not been conservative in what sits on there head. I have Med light density and partial receded hairline. All I can say is because I had bald spot on back of head only and partial front recession, it took my mother in law two days to notice who lives with me. My dads old rug looked like Elvis Presley. Guess HE felt good but most laughed
11-28-2012, 05:36 AM,
I think SteveL has got it spot on!
It looks perfect and totally undetectable.

A lot of you guys won't understand until you get to SteveL's age (which I can hardly believe is nearly 50 by the look of him in the pics).

I'm a bit older and yes I could have a lower, less recessed hairline that might suit me better, but all my peers are practically bald & grey and I would stand out a mile!

Its not an easy decision to make, but for most guys, it has to be addressed at some point.
Otherwise you could start drawing attention to yourself and your bountiful hair!
12-02-2012, 06:05 AM,
Plenty of men in their 50's and 60's have all their hair, some will lose some, what tends to happen is a thinner hair and grey, yes recession is necessary not because people at a certain age are balding but its a wig and like you said it could bring attention.
12-02-2012, 09:30 AM,
I adhere to the exact opposit route. I have always worn hair styles that draw attention to my hair and I still do even though I wear. I like the idea of hiding in plain sight. Being a musician I usually wear edgy hair styles and keep my hair darkest brown or a natural black. Many in the circles I hang out in have loads of hair but frankly, they could be wearing as well. Who knows.

It's all about how you carry yourself.
12-06-2012, 01:58 PM,
SteveL,

Quick question - i see that you live in the Southern California and you've been going to Alicia.
Do you recommend Alicia? Does she do a good job with the cut-in? I want looking for someone who can cut a modern-hairstyle look. She is a little far from me but i don't mind driving if she is that good.

Do you have any other hairstylist that you are using?
i appreciate your help.

Thank you.
12-15-2012, 04:44 PM,
Hey journeyman

I don't come on the forum all that often but I just noticed this thread and wanted to respond. Yes I go to Alicia and she does a fantastic job. If you bring a picture in she can usually match it regardless of style.
She is the only hairstylist I am using. I stopped going to all these ridiculous high end salons charging outrageous amounts for haircuts, hair adds etc. She is reasonably priced and very good!

And to address forestboys comment above... Recession may not be for everyone but the style I was wearing (curtains) with not much recession just didn't look as good at 40 as it did when I was 32. Some people in their 40s or 50s can pull off a David Bowie full head of hair.
I like myself in pictures much better with the recession. My wife likes it too. And while I do have recession I think I have maintained a somewhat modern style by combing forward and at times doing a slight fauxhawk.

For some reason as men age many insist on having a block of Elvis hair and like someone else said.. it just looks ridiculous. I even had to fight my own instincts on density and the non recession hairline. I remember getting upset when my pieces would come in too thin when I was in my 30s.. Now I find that 55% density not only works for me but its a great match for my sides too.
Most stylists I've talked to have said that they try to tell their older clients 40s-60s to ease up on the density but most refuse believing that more is better when actually the opposite is true.

For you guys in your 20s and 30s.. having a lot of density is not unusual and I say have at it.
I am 46 and I can't tell you how much I prefer what I have now compared to before.
12-15-2012, 04:53 PM,
I think it looks great.. but you also looked great before as well. Its kind of sad to hear your 46.. because time just flies by so damn fast. You were one of the inspirations on the old forum, and at that time I am guessin you were probably like 36.. The thicker hair fit you well than and this one fits you well now.

As you get older you don't worry as much about having a thick ass hairline or some recession. you start becoming happy with whatever fits you best. I have a piece thats really light in the density that I never thought id like, and I like it the most lol. The lighter density hair systems always seem to look more natural. and on the bright side .. when you have your real hair and you start receding your always worried about losing more.. in a way none of us will ever go bald again.
12-15-2012, 05:49 PM,
Xeon I am sad to hear I am 46 too lol I think I first ordered a Toplace around 02 when the business was just getting started. You're right.. I was around 35-36. Time does fly.
12-15-2012, 10:09 PM,
SteveL,

Could you please post Alicia info for contact and maybe costs.

Thanks...

johnny/albuquerque

ps.........I think I may have found her.......is she on West Katella ? If so, looks like she also handles replacements ?
Guess unlike most she does not have a problem styling a unit bought elsewhere ? What does she charge ? Thanks Steve !