Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having serious doubts... (pics)
04-26-2012, 08:38 AM,
Having serious doubts... (pics)
Ok, now I'm really starting to think I can't pull this off. I just debonded and the glue was awful to deal with. I can't get it off my scalp, I can't get it off my system. I've tried the mirror slide with a mirror, magazine, bubble wrap, etc, and it doesn't take the glue off. When I pick the glue off, huge chunks of hair come with it. At this rate, I can debond three times before ALL the hair in the system will be gone. I've followed every tutorial I could find and this just isn't working. I need someone to help get me through this!

Tape was too visible, I can't seem to remove glue safely.... I don't know what to do!
04-26-2012, 08:58 AM,
RE: Having serious doubts...
You need to tell us what products you're using to dissolve the glue.
04-26-2012, 09:41 AM,
Tried the c22 solvent and 99% isopropyl alcohol.
04-26-2012, 10:29 AM,
You need a SOLVENT to completely `melt`the glue ..it needs time to work..... mirror -slides etc will only remove lumps of glue which have been softened with Glue-melter [alcohol] first. It sounds to me like you`ve applied glue coats probably too thickly initially and also not allowed each coat to go practically dry......the fact that glue has gone through onto the hair is a sure sign of it...... Walker no-shine tapes around the sides/back and just glue on the front hairline is usually enough for a new wearer to be getting on with......positioning the system has been advised -on, on your other thread....there`s no need for a full-head bond with a lace system..... certainly once you get more comfortable with using adhesive products you can go for it if you wish...at the start just keep it as simple as you can......you`re going to have to use plenty glue-melter to soften the `lumps`of glue around the base of the hair and then gently tease out the lumps using a fine-comb taking care not to snag the lace with the teeth and pulling--you could tear the lace....... don`t pull out clumps of hair ...that`s happening because the glue is not softened sufficiently...... allow a citrus solvent 10 minutes to `soak`in and attack the glue..... if you haven`t any, just use several applications of Glue-melter, then try to comb out the residues with the fine tooth-comb....then finally leave the system to soak in a basin of water which has some shampoo added to it for an hour---comb it out again........you`ll eventually get it sorted..... prevention is better than cure though......there have been many posts warning of this ...never ever press lace down into/onto glue which is still on the soft side...... these glues behave like no other glue you will have used in `DIY` situations around the house......they are a totally different `animal`.....little is best...very thin layers ,and allow each to go almost dry.....only then should lace be pressed `home`... sounds like that stylist didn`t do you many favours either....
04-26-2012, 10:31 AM,
use tape man...you can use tape at least for the sides and back...the tapes are really easy to clean...take your time...there's no white glue you can not melt with 99 % alcohol. I am wearing a small piece at the moment but I will be wearing a topper in a few weeks or so.but the tapes are easy to clean in my experience.there should be some tricks for the tape to stop shinning so much too...maybe some guys can bring this tips up here.
04-26-2012, 11:00 AM,
let me start of by saying , stating in fact, that debonding i doubt is anyones favourite job,
but the results wearing gives, its a small price to pay,
you may not agree at the moment,

honestly hear me out,once you get a routine going its pretty easy,and thats "fact"
bit like going out on a emergency call with no training,where do i start,
but once you know the steps,you follow them every time and it becomes second nature,

debonding/cleanup, takes me around 90 mins,that includes buzzing hair down,
i do this every 3 weeks,and frontal side touch ups prob once a week,
depending on time of year.

been wearing 19 months, its a little learning curve,
once youve cracked it youll never look back,
we dont allways get it right,not even me, but our experiance tells us how to remedy the problem,
adhesives are messy true, but once you know how to handle them, youll be fine.
it aint rocket science.
anty
04-26-2012, 03:43 PM,
IMO, you need to skip the glue and get used to just taping the thing to your head to start.

The C22 will remove the adhesive by you need to give it time and use a LOT of it.

If you can salvage the unit and not destroy it trying to get the adhesive off, give a go with just tape. Can you sort of brush the hair forward so as not to worry about a picture-perfect hair line for the time being? Walker No-Shine tape is pretty good in terms of not being shiny and these tapes are quite strong, even with no adhesive whatsoever.

You have too many adverse things going on at once here and you are freaking out. Take things one step at a time, honestly its ok to use just tape (if only for awhile) because the clean-up process is much less daunting.

What exact type of unit are you using now (i.e. all lace, poly perimeter lace front, etc...)?
04-26-2012, 06:41 PM,
Today's experience:

So I debonded, tried to clean, and rebonded with only ONE very thin layer of glue around only the perimeter. I got most bumps out (though I found one small one, but no biggie) and made the hairline look pretty good. Impressions: Overall looked good. I fixed the color to match perfectly, the hairline looked really good (which didn't matter because I combed forward anyway, just to be safe). Under close inspection (using two mirrors to see the back) I thought it looked really good. Showed enough scalp to be believable, hairline position was good. In the middle of the hair (where it wasn't bonded) if I looked super closely at certain angles I could kinda see the lace. But if had to really look for it.

So I decided to give it a whirl. First to see me, my sister. I saw her first because I knew of all people, if she noticed and asked what was up, I could be honest and she wouldn't judge at all. She said, "Wow I love your hair!" See, I had dyed everything a dark brown, I thought throwing off the color might help disquise it was thicker. She bought it. She commented that whenever I dye my hair (which I've done before) it always looks thicker and better. This gave me some confidence.

Next were two of my friends, a guy and girl. The girl hadn't seen me in a while and kept commenting on how good I looked with brown hair and that it makes my eyes pop and looks great. The guy said it looked good but was so different it kept throwing him off, like he was looking at someone other than me. When I told him I also shaved (I had a pretty full gotie going) he was like, "OOOH! That's what must be so different. I was so distracted by the brown hair and brown eyebrows I didn't even notice you shaved too!" So he seemed to buy it. I was getting more confident at this point.

Next was my brother. I knew this was a tough one, because he, too, is suffering from hairloss. The first time he saw me with concealer he seemed to be staring at the hairline to figure out why it looked fuller. He commented how good it looks brown and that with brown hair I look more like him, which means he thought I looked damn sexy. Narcisist.

Then I went and played volleyball with a big group of people. All my other friends saw it and said they almost didn't recognize me with brown hair, but no negative comments.... UNTIL.... one girl said something that is eating at me right now. Keep in mind, I see this girl maybe 2-3 times a month, and the last 4 times I've seen her I was wearing a hat or had convincing concealer. She said, "I love your hair by the way." I said thanks. Then she said the words that haunt my thoughts, "what is it?" ........ ya...... how the hell do I answer that? So I said, "what is it? What do you mean?" She repeated, "ya what is it?" I said "darker brown...?" She said, "Oh so you just dyed it?... sorry... made that awkward."

So ya, here I am sitting here writing a novel freaking out a bit. Was it superbly obvious and everyone else was just being nice? I checked a mirror after I said that and everything was fine and in place and looked great to me. So WHAT on earth made her say that? I could understand that if she saw me regularly and noticed a drastic change, but she sees me so rarely I consider her more an acquaintance than a friend.

So now the devil and angel on my shoulders are arguing. "Shave it off!" "Keep it!" "Shave bald!" "You can do this! No one else noticed!" "Everyone knows! They are laughing at you right now!" "You got so many compliments, everyone loves it!"

Oi. And she was never less than three feet away from me too. I wish I had pulled her aside and asked what she meant. Thoughts?
04-26-2012, 07:17 PM,
She probably knows about hair extensions as most girls use them these days.
She probably & quite naturally, thought maybe you'd had hair extensions.
When girls hair looks thicker & better, its because they've used extensions.

If you think about it, it was a perfectly innocent question.

The point is, she didn't really care and wasn't embarrassed about asking like she would have been if it had looked bad or obvious.
Its when people stare and say nothing at all that its a sign they suspect you're wearing a piece.

You have to think about how you feel about it and if it makes you think you look better.
It sounds like the overall consensus was that you look better.
What she said wasn't a negative.
It just disconcerted you because you haven't formed your own opinion yet on how you feel about it.
04-26-2012, 10:00 PM,
Hersute`s last line is spot-on........ not being sarcastic with you in the slightest..... but you`re just at the `` super-sensitive`` stage which nearly all wearers go through at the start/ first few days.....relax and in a day or two, it`ll be `yesterday`s news` among those who know you.