Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noobie transitioning to a system
04-19-2012, 09:23 AM,
Noobie transitioning to a system
Hello all. I've been reading the threads on this site for a few weeks now and it has given me hope once again. I've never worn a hair system before and have some questions before I decide to go head first into it.

I've been balding at my crown for about three years now. I wear my hair very short, if not shaved, and wear a baseball cap 99% out of the house. I would describe myself as a Norwood 5V. How have you guys transitioned from having no hair, to a full head of it with a system. I just can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for from searching the forum.

Also, I'm required to wear a baseball cap at work. Would I have any troubles while wearing a hair system and taking the cap on and off throughout the shift?

It's funny because I have been looking through old pictures from high school and it seems that I'm not wearing a hat in only a handful of them, hiding my once ravishing head of hair. If I only knew what was to come.....

[EDIT] I found this thread:
http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?...transition
But to be honest, I'm not sure what they are talking about.
04-19-2012, 10:33 AM,
RE: Noobie transitioning to a system
Sounds like not to many people see you without a hat. Transition should be easy. Grow out your hair to the length you are going to wear when you get a piece. People will get used to seeing your side and back hair getting longer under your ball cap.
04-19-2012, 10:35 AM,
Will wearing a hat with a system make it noticeable?
04-21-2012, 09:22 AM,
Your system hair will behave the same way as growing hair once you stick something like a baseball cap onto your head.... tends to `flatten`it down... on occasions I`ve worn one, I always just refreshed it by misting with water and `fluffing`the hair up with a brush. You can easily get/use a little atomiser bottle which you can even carry about in a jacket-pocket for when you`re away from home or at work...... I often take one in the car with me....if I`ve been out in windy conditions and the hair gets `messed up`, I just mist with water once I get back in the car.
Let your hair grow out at the sides/back as winstonage suggested, and you could also order a very light-density system for your first order, so that people you work with, wouldn`t be as aware of your decision to wear...you could even order 2 systems -- one with a `starter` density, and the other with a higher density for when you`re ready to make the full transition. If you`re going for a very light density one , to `soften`the initial `look`, It would be an idea to order a blonde [colour 22] system and have Debbie colour it for you if you`re nervous of doing it yourself [you have to keep colour off / away from the lace or you`ll stain it permanantly] ..that way, there`s be no risk of knot-visibility with a very light-density system. That system can be sent to Debbie who can colour it for you and post it to you [there is a fee of about 35$ for the colour and shipping is a little more] Have a look at her site http://www.splitendshairreplacement.com and click the `services link. It`s just a suggestion you might like to consider..... lace is generally undetectable to sight, but if you`re going to wear a very light density initially, it would need to have all the knots bleached -well, or they`d be noticeable...the easiest way, is get an all-blonde system and simply colour the hair to the required shade ..that way there`s NO chance of people seeing ``black dots``on your head.
04-23-2012, 08:19 AM,
Thank you guys so much for your help
04-30-2012, 12:04 AM,
RE: hats

Yes, you'll have "hat head" ... but no more than a person with a full head of their own growing hair.

I do wear baseball caps still ... and I will say that I am NOT comfortable removing one in public. It may be my own paranoia, and it is probably due to my length/style. If you wear a short fade style on the back and sides like mcat's recent pics (awesome, btw!), it will not be an issue. I wear it longer on the back and sides, and a baseball cap's edges are right at about my join point. When I remove a hat, it tends to lift the piece hair out a bit from my own, emphasizing the join point.

So I always try to do it privately, and do as paul does with a bit of water and fluffing/smoothing with a brush or hands.

YMMV,
FB
04-30-2012, 02:46 PM,
Yes, I would like to go for the fade style cut. That's always the style I had in the golden days. Mcat's is pretty close to what I would like to achieve.