Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When to get a new system
04-05-2012, 06:28 AM,
When to get a new system
I am just curious what your telltale signs are that you need to replace your system. Is it when the lace tears? Or the hair is too dry it's unmanageable? Or when the system starts shedding? I'm curious when most of you decide to throw it out and stick on a new one. I may have a follow up question depending on the answers. I searched the forum and maybe I wasn't looking for the right thing, but most conversations about this just say "it's getting old and needs to be replaced." I was just looking more specifically what issue is the leading cause of needing to be replaced. Thanks!
04-06-2012, 05:12 AM,
RE: When to get a new system
Any or all of the above Hair Scare ! There are so many `variables` and `local`factors to be considered.... anything form the quality of the donor-hair, to the amount of processing, to the climate where you live, how often you shampoo, your own body make-up [ oily scalp or excessive sweating] and even the quality of the water used to wash your system.... it`s really a case of `how long is a piece of string...`-- it`s not possible to give an exact answer for the expected-lifespan of a system.....you`ll just have to monitor it for possible lace-fraying, shedding, etc. ..it`s always best to have a stand-by system to hand, in case of a sudden deterioration of any aspect of your current system.
04-06-2012, 05:58 AM,
My main reason for asking, if there is an issue of shedding, has anyone attempted ventilating new hair into the piece? I've looked up tutorials for ventilating hair, and it really doesn't look hard. So I wonder if that could help increase the lifespan of a piece if you gradually added new hair where it is falling out. Just a thought.
04-06-2012, 02:56 PM,
(04-06-2012, 05:58 AM)Hair Scare Wrote: My main reason for asking, if there is an issue of shedding, has anyone attempted ventilating new hair into the piece? I've looked up tutorials for ventilating hair, and it really doesn't look hard. So I wonder if that could help increase the lifespan of a piece if you gradually added new hair where it is falling out. Just a thought.

I think everyone's experience is different. I get 6 months out of a piece, and it's time for a new one because the hair is getting too dry, or it is starting to discolor, or both. I have been lucky, I have never had a piece shed much at all, and have never ripped the lace. I do handle my pieces like I did my kids when they were babies. For the cost of a new piece I would never spend the time or the money to reventilate or repair a piece.
04-13-2012, 01:17 AM,
"RE: When to get a new system
My main reason for asking, if there is an issue of shedding, has anyone attempted ventilating new hair into the piece? I've looked up tutorials for ventilating hair, and it really doesn't look hard. So I wonder if that could help increase the lifespan of a piece if you gradually added new hair where it is falling out. Just a thought."

That's actually not a bad idea! Adding a few single hairs hear and there, especially at the hairline, to keep things looking good is a great idea. You'd need your own supply of remy hair though. I wonder if TL can supply a small section of remy hair for a reasonable cost for just this kind of thing.
04-13-2012, 04:22 AM,
All you would need is a small bit of hair and a latch hook tool. Not bad at all. But I guess this would be most useful if shedding was the major issue... or if they butcher a small section in the cut in or something. What I was thinking about trying is actually slowly adding a few hairs getting longer and longer to help simulate growth. I have short hair now, but eventually want a longer (medium long) hairstyle with some good bangs. Adding a few hairs here and there to go further down my forehead for the bangs might help the transition from short to longer hair be less radical. Just a thought.