Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet look - Gels or Wax?
03-28-2012, 09:52 AM,
Wet look - Gels or Wax?
I like the look of gel giving that wet look that I'm after as well as hold but I find the gels I have tried don't look wet after an hour or two. I have never tried wax and I have heard people talk about wax works. What do you guys use? My hair style is semi long meaning to the ears and kinda pushed back.. almost like hockey hair.. lol
03-28-2012, 11:23 AM,
RE: Wet look - Gels or Wax?
As this subject has been covered thousands of times on this forum, I'm only going to say this:

Brylcreem
03-28-2012, 03:08 PM,
(03-28-2012, 11:23 AM)Hersute Wrote: As this subject has been covered thousands of times on this forum, I'm only going to say this:

Brylcreem

ok thanks. I didn't think it held hair in place like gel, never used it.

Just looking at the brylcreem site, they have gel, wax, gel wax, clay, 24 hour gel etc... which product in that line would you suggest?
03-28-2012, 03:31 PM,
(03-28-2012, 03:08 PM)LP Dude Wrote:
(03-28-2012, 11:23 AM)Hersute Wrote: As this subject has been covered thousands of times on this forum, I'm only going to say this:

Brylcreem

ok thanks. I didn't think it held hair in place like gel, never used it.

Just looking at the brylcreem site, they have gel, wax, gel wax, clay, 24 hour gel etc... which product in that line would you suggest?

Good old fashioned Brylcream Original Hair Groom. What real men have used since world war 2. lol
03-28-2012, 03:55 PM,
If you scroll down on the Topic Board, about 5-6 threads below this one, you'll see there is a one about keeping hair soft.
Its had 40 replies and covers some of what you're asking, including which Brylcreem and other waxes & gels.
03-28-2012, 11:38 PM,
Just found this one[ `Wet non stop`by Lòreal ] but cannot give you any information on it apart from I have used their ``Invisifix`` gel which had no negative effects on the hair ..it comes in a wet-look gel too called ``Pure wet`` --wet effect gel. The only caution I should advise you is that the ``Pure Wet`` one has `Alcohol Denat` listed in the ingredients....that is `Denatured` alcohol, which are no-no`s for system hair... other alcohols are ok, but those ones are not recommended...I guess a little now and then would be ok..it`s up to you really to make a `call`on it. I have used the `normal` Invisifix gel` , with no issues. http://www.amazon.co.uk/LOr%C3%A9al-Pari...B001RYORT8
http://www.lorealparis.ca/_en/_ca/minisi...-stop.aspx
03-29-2012, 06:47 AM,
(03-28-2012, 11:38 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Just found this one[ `Wet non stop`by Lòreal ] but cannot give you any information on it apart from I have used their ``Invisifix`` gel which had no negative effects on the hair ..it comes in a wet-look gel too called ``Pure wet`` --wet effect gel. The only caution I should advise you is that the ``Pure Wet`` one has `Alcohol Denat` listed in the ingredients....that is `Denatured` alcohol, which are no-no`s for system hair... other alcohols are ok, but those ones are not recommended...I guess a little now and then would be ok..it`s up to you really to make a `call`on it. I have used the `normal` Invisifix gel` , with no issues. http://www.amazon.co.uk/LOr%C3%A9al-Pari...B001RYORT8
http://www.lorealparis.ca/_en/_ca/minisi...-stop.aspx

Hey Paul I know this is off topic, but I need a way to contact JRob (the guy in Orlando). Please email me at warrior d u (at) yahoo (dot) com. Combine it all together. Thanks.
04-01-2012, 04:39 AM,
If you want a shiny look, a lot of products besides gel are great for that.. the big difference between a wax and a gel is that with a wax your hair won't get crunchy, hard and flakey.. You will get a pliable hold.. If you want a look like hair gel, I just mix a little water with the wax works and a quick shot of hair spray after styling.. The hairspray is usually not even needed, but if you want a little extra hold. The product I use is wax works.. There are some waxes that are matte, so you have to read it.. But most are shiny.. another cool product is depp wax gel.. Its half wax half gel. Or any good pomade could work. I have used american crew pomade and it was fine. I never tried bylecream. Not sure about the shine on it.
04-01-2012, 07:52 AM,
(04-01-2012, 04:39 AM)Xeon005 Wrote: If you want a shiny look, a lot of products besides gel are great for that.. the big difference between a wax and a gel is that with a wax your hair won't get crunchy, hard and flakey.. You will get a pliable hold.. If you want a look like hair gel, I just mix a little water with the wax works and a quick shot of hair spray after styling.. The hairspray is usually not even needed, but if you want a little extra hold. The product I use is wax works.. There are some waxes that are matte, so you have to read it.. But most are shiny.. another cool product is depp wax gel.. Its half wax half gel. Or any good pomade could work. I have used american crew pomade and it was fine. I never tried bylecream. Not sure about the shine on it.

I agree with this but I want to add that the way you apply certain hair products makes a big difference as to how the hair looks.

For example, if you apply waxworks to wet hair it will tend to dry with less shine. If you apply it to dry hair it will bump up the shine and give a different kind of look and hold. Also, the way you comb the hair or style it with your fingers can change the way it looks.

Just have to try different stuff and see what works best for you.
04-02-2012, 05:20 AM,
Yeah that is true.. Adding some water will texturize the hair a little differently. The water will dilute it a little bit but also make the hairs clump up slightly more the way it would if you used something like a gel. You just experiment with it.