Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gym/Fitness/Active Lifestyle - Advice Needed
03-01-2012, 01:40 PM,
Gym/Fitness/Active Lifestyle - Advice Needed
The reason why i am starting this topic is because i didn't see that many discussion in regards to wearing a hairpiece while maintaining an active lifestyle.
The only thread that i saw based on my search is this --> http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?...ym+routine

I am currently wearing a thin-skin piece as mentioned in another post for the past two weeks and so far i went to the gym/fitness only twice as i couldn't stand the heat forming inside the skin. I am transitioning to a SFS lace this weekend for the very first time and i am very excited because of the breathe-ability. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week (no cardio, just weightlifting with reasonable sweats but not too sweaty) prior to wearing a piece and i want to maintain that lifestyle.

To all the gym/fitness/active lifestyle wearers, i need your advice or suggestion on:
1) How many times do you de/rebond per week for hygiene purposes?
2) What type of glue/tape is the best to use without ruining the piece if i regularly re/debond?
3) Do you shower with the piece on just to get rid of the sweats?

I was planning to de-rebond on a weekly basis to save time from my busy schedule but it looks like i wont be able to do that Sad Sad

Thank you for your advice in advance and i appreciate any comments or suggestions for all the PROS for this newbie!
03-01-2012, 04:23 PM,
RE: Gym/Fitness/Active Lifestyle - Advice Needed
Hi,
I wear french lace,as i like the breathability,as i do sweat.

1.I debond /rebond once a week,anymore than this would become too time consuming.I do leave the piece off overnight before i rebond.
2.I use walker no shine,seems to hold up well for one week,and not to shiny.
3.I shower everyday and wet the piece in the shower,and then style the piece.I just like to rinse the piece everyday,and shampoo only my natural growing side and back hair every day or second day,i don't shampoo the piece untill i remove it.i find by washing my natural hair it seems to blend in with the piece hair better,otherwise my hair seems to stay flat.

Regards topcat
03-01-2012, 08:21 PM,
Thanks for the advice Topcat as this is very important to me, if this doesn't work out - i would rather shaved my head and maintain my healthy lifestyle by keeping my physique, I love working out . I look ok shaved but i want hair lol. I am aiming for once week bonding as well, I will give it a try by showering with the system after my workout, hopefully it doesn't itch the next day since there is no possible way to clean the sweaty scalp underneath the lace without taking out the system. I probably will shampoo and conditioned only during debonding. I am planning to use tape around the perimeter and glue at the hairline. Do you use only tape or glue as well?

Hope to receive more suggestions from other active wearers on this.
03-01-2012, 08:47 PM,
I can`t see you having major problems, Journey, seeing as you`re only doing weights and will probably have moderate sweating. You shouldn`t have itchiness to any major degree provided you stay to a regular de/re pattern. Follow Topcat`s method [3] and you should be fine. You could also give the scalp a light spray of anti-perspirant where your tape/glue will be sitting, before you do your bond....you certainly won`t get itching after 1 day or anything like that....it`s normally caused by repeated sweating and `that` being left in place for a prolonged period without washing off, but once you stay with a regular pattern, you should be fine. Walker no-shine is pretty good, but you may possibly require a stronger tape ---again, it`s a matter of `seeing` what works best....just take it easy for the first week or so and see how you get on, but I feel you should be ok . I`ve seen guys in gyms almost like race-horses on those treadmills....you`d think they`d just been hosed down if you just walked in and looked...you can imagine in such a situation, any tape/glue might have a hard time doing what it`s supposed to do, but a bit of moderate weights and exercise shouldn`t be a big worry for you..... be interested to hear your feedback when you`ve done your first week with the SFS system....good luck with it !
03-02-2012, 08:09 AM,
(03-01-2012, 08:47 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: You could also give the scalp a light spray of anti-perspirant where your tape/glue will be sitting, before you do your bond....

Hey Paul - thanks, I already bought a scalp protector and i am thinking of getting the anti-perspiration per your suggestion. Is it ok or necessary to use both at the same time? or the scalp protector is sufficient or vice-versa?
03-02-2012, 08:19 AM,
Hey,

I run around 15 to 20 miles per week and wear a topper attached with ghost bond. I detach once per week and generally have just minor if any lifting through the week. Just make sure you time your attachment during your off day as you do not want to break a heavy sweat for 24 hours after attaching. I usually rinse my head in the shower after a run as well but do not shampoo the piece, only my real hair.

So far this works for me!
03-02-2012, 09:16 AM,
Thanks Amstad, do you use the ghost bond only around the perimeter or the whole area?
03-02-2012, 09:45 AM,
Hi journey..... just use one or the other I`d say [not both together].... some guys don`t find scalp protector so effective..again, it`s a case of what works for one person, may not be so good on another. Other people are very happy with it.
I was working outside today ... was a lovely sunny day and I was using a heavy mechanical hedge-cutter and was surprised at how much it made me sweat......the Walker no-shine held up fine to it. It`s a pretty good tape....you should find the lace a lot lighter and at least you can allow water at/through it thuse helping to deal with sweat-residue over most of the scalp...it`ll be just the skin on which the adhesive material is sitting, that will be prone to build-up....as you can imagine, heat, moisture and acids in sweat, along with microscopic particles of skin, left in situ under glue/tape will inevitably lead to itchiness at the very least, so a regular -de/re is the key to avoiding major probs. with your active lifestyle. Cheers.
03-02-2012, 11:52 AM,
to Journeyofman!

Did you have the TL700 ? I actually just got this one from John today and will get styled n up-wearing in next week. It looks damn good right now I must say but I have to wait untill it goes on top of my head .
What is your experience with the thin skin? What are the practical issues or troubles ?
I myself am a very active person but so far even though I work out almost 7 days a week ,( 4 days running 2-4 miles, 3 days weight) i dint ave any issue with bonding or itching . I re-bond once a week . i wear a FL presently but am quite unhappy with it coz of the visible knots from the top .
Having read your post , I am concerned if a skin system would be viable for me or not.
Kindly share your thoughts on your experiences.
03-03-2012, 03:45 AM,
(03-02-2012, 09:16 AM)journeyofman Wrote: Thanks Amstad, do you use the ghost bond only around the perimeter or the whole area?

Hey, I use it on the perimeter and down the middle.