Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Ripples
02-28-2012, 03:39 AM,
Front Ripples
I know there are threads on this, And I have read them. I have tried the alcohol slide and it didn't make a difference. I noticed some of the threads were from 2010. Was this an issue with pieces back then? Reason I ask is because the piece I just started wearing I got back in 2010. Does this still happen to new pieces that are being made? It looked great for the first 2 1/2 weeks. After that the front hairline started rippling bad. It does it every attachment and is really noticeable. I was at a job where I could wear a hat if needed. I just got laid off and now I'll be looking for work. I want to get this issue fixed before I start having to go on job interviews which could be any time now. I currently use tape to attach. I tied glue and there was no way I could get the lace to lay flat. Even before I put the lace down you could see the front was uneven and wavy. I have another piece on order but I got about another 2-3 weeks before it arrives. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated
thanks
02-28-2012, 04:22 AM,
RE: Front Ripples
I started to use Davlyn black for the front first cm of the hairline, with tape for the perimeter and ghost bond for the whole top part. I noticed a big difference when i used the Davlyn for the hairline that i didnt get any ripples plus a extremely firm hold. Compared to ghost bond, even though i like the hold it gives behind the hairline..
02-28-2012, 06:15 AM,
Is this a lace or skin piece? I know Davlyn black is usually used on tape or skin etc. Some units I don't get any ripples.. the ones that fit perfectly to your head I don't have a problem with. maybe alcohol slide would help resolve that as you can spread it out
02-28-2012, 07:29 AM,
(02-28-2012, 06:15 AM)Xeon005 Wrote: Is this a lace or skin piece? I know Davlyn black is usually used on tape or skin etc. Some units I don't get any ripples.. the ones that fit perfectly to your head I don't have a problem with. maybe alcohol slide would help resolve that as you can spread it out

Its swiss lace. I tried the alcohol slide and it didn't seem to work. I used 70% alcohol.
02-28-2012, 10:38 AM,
(02-28-2012, 07:29 AM)Rafs Wrote:
(02-28-2012, 06:15 AM)Xeon005 Wrote: Is this a lace or skin piece? I know Davlyn black is usually used on tape or skin etc. Some units I don't get any ripples.. the ones that fit perfectly to your head I don't have a problem with. maybe alcohol slide would help resolve that as you can spread it out

Its swiss lace. I tried the alcohol slide and it didn't seem to work. I used 70% alcohol.

Since the unit is 2 years old, was it on it's plastic shaper the whole time or was it removed when you got it?
Regards,
John
02-28-2012, 10:42 AM,
(02-28-2012, 10:38 AM)ToplaceUSA Wrote:
(02-28-2012, 07:29 AM)Rafs Wrote:

Since the unit is 2 years old, was it on it's plastic shaper the whole time or was it removed when you got it?
Regards,
John

I had it on the plastic shaper the whole time. It was great the first 2 1/2 weeks. After that is when the ripples started. I usually detach every 3 days. Im going to try glue again for my next attachment. Will I be able to spray some 70% alcohol before I place the piece down on the glue to give me some time to adjust it or will that mess up the bond? Or is 70% not enough?
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM,
I think 70 percent should be fine.. Less of a chance of it melting the glue.. I am not sure if it works good on liquid adhesives, i believe people say it works fine.. I know people use it on tapes.. I say try it..
02-28-2012, 01:20 PM,
CAUSE: Your head is round the lace base is flat - like a piece of paper - try taking a piece of printer paper and molding it around your head. It can't really lay flat unless it is darted and curved.

WHY THERE ARE NO RIPPLES ON NEW PIECES - because the lace is more flexible/elastic and if stretched "correctly" there will be no ripples for the first few attachments. After time and washing the lace become less elastic and because you are compensating for ripples by stretching you cause there to be even more ripples (and frays).

Using mirror slides or other gentler cleaning techniques might get you 1-3 more attachments without ripples but...

THE REAL WAY TO GET AROUND THIS IS: do your own darting; to force the piece to be curved.

FOR EXPERTS ONLY:

I cut two darts up front at 10 and 2 o'clock if the very front center "tip" of the piece is 12 o'clock - the darts are near each temple. I don't sew the two sides together with invisible thread because I find with densities below 65% the stitches are visible and come undone unless you are a certified tailor or a plastic surgeon. Also cleaning a curved piece is hard so it is good that it can go back to flat.

I used contoured tape and marry the two sides of each dart together with tape on the lace before applying the piece to my head. I use Walker No shine CC countour about 1/2 an inch behind the hairline edge on the lace. I then follow up with 3-mil up to the very edge. You glue guys can use glue on the front edge after attaching using toothpicks or whatever. But remember you still need that tape behind, doing this totally with glue by marrying the darts using only the glue on your head is probably tough.

The contour tape behind the edge should be what forces the curve and holds it in place before attaching.

This method work best if you attach the front first of course.

So before applying, the front is super curved and sits pretty much totally flush up front.

DRAWBACKS: There is more of an edge that can fray due to the 2 "triangle" darts you cut into the piece. I originally thought this was going to cause me to lose about 10%-20% in durability/life of the piece. Not the case. I find my pieces last about same as before or even longer if you're one of these guys super stretching the front to get rid of the ripples. Because of this stretching and constant pushing the lace onto my head ever few hours the front got super gluey into the lace which made cleaning more difficult and the front just frayed more and more so much faster.

Only issue is you are doing surgery on a piece and if you are not really careful you can have some serious issues including ruining the whole piece. Do so at your own risk.

BOTTOM LINE: The attachment is top notch, no lift, no ripples, attachment lasts longer. Until bases come curved I will slice all my pieces like this, without a doubt. I have been doing so for about a year.

Maybe I'll start a thread and post some photos.
02-28-2012, 03:38 PM,
(02-28-2012, 01:20 PM)reubin Wrote: THE REAL WAY TO GET AROUND THIS IS: do your own darting; to force the piece to be curved.

Assuming we're all talking about custom pieces made properly from a good template-- I've never ever done anything like this, and the pieces fit fine with zero ripples along the hairline (or anywhere else) for as long as they can be worn.
02-28-2012, 03:50 PM,
I just attached the front with glue. I still have some ripples, but not as bad as when I use tape. I'll see what it looks like outside in the daylight tomorrow. But now I have some hairs stuck to the glue at the hairline which doesn't look very good. However this was my first attempt with glue. Other then this time I tried some Got2b glued and that turned out to be messy. Hopefully it gets better for my next attachment. I also should point out that this is a stock piece.