Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Template For A Full Cap (Advice Welcome) PICS
02-23-2012, 04:11 AM,
Template For A Full Cap (Advice Welcome) PICS
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this one.

I have been wearing toppers for the last 5 years and have decided that as Im making the switch to TopLace, I may as well make the switch to a full cap also.

However, trying to design the template is proving really challenging. Has anyone any tips they can give me or tutorials they can point me in the direction of? Anything I found on youtube relates to toppers which although well detailed, dont help my own situation.

Also, if anyone has any advice on how long a Full Cap lasts for both in terms of lifecycle and in relation to how often it needs to be removed and cleaned. This is the first time I will be embarking on self maintenance so its a whole new world :-)

Thanks.
02-23-2012, 09:21 AM,
RE: Template For A Full Cap (Any Advice Welcome)
Have you looked on JROb`s site ? [hairjive.com] He`s done this Fullcap DVD covering all the main steps involved ..... not sure of the price, but you can have a look.
As you`re an existing wearer, you`ll be familiar with making your own templates for toppers? I assume you have made them before and not just paid a salon to do it? If so, the fullcap isn`t much different really only that it`s longer at the back and sides and has flaps down in front of the ear area...the main thing is at the back , you locate the occipital bone at the base of the skull---that circular bone...normally your system should/will be bonded-on , just below that. Also , the area just above the ears..... you`ll need to leave a bit of a gap because when the hair is cut in that area, it will be pretty short, otherwise it would be covering/hanging down over the ears, so as it`s short, it can be very annoying/itchy if the perimeter was only , say, 3 millimeters from the skin of the ear .... it would literally be sitting onto the skin ...... I usually keep it about 1/4 of an inch, minimum, above the ear. I`ve done a few posts and pics. recently on Fullcap template/s I`ve made.....just click my user-name for my profile..then click on ``Find all threads`` ..that`ll narrow it down for you.Some guys wear Swiss lace on their fullcaps which is ok for medium densities...for higher densities, the Swiss may not carry the heavier volume of a fullcap so well.... many guys wear all French lace [ I do] JRob always recommends if going for Swiss, to have the ear-flaps done in French as it will withstand the `pressure`of de-bonding better....those flaps are subject /prone to tearing earlier than the rest of the system because of the constant `pressure`when being de-bonded....... the hairjive site should help you out though. The removal and cleaning is the same as for a topper---no difference......just depends on your lifestyle really. Regards for now.
02-29-2012, 10:07 AM,
Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such a detailed manner. I had a look at the website you recommended and will download the DVD from there in the next day or so. It seems to cover more or less everything Ill need to get started.

Ive never made my own template for any kind of hair before, as Ive been a long time customer of a salon but am fed up with the poor quality customer service, high prices and constant sales mentality. It strikes me as amazing how salons treat customers like this. From my own point of view, the product is amazing but the negatives of the above mean I hate stepping foot into the place every month.

I have a fair bit of my own hair still left and plan on tracing the existing hair line, is it advisable to blend some in with the backs and sides? If so how much and how do you maintain it each month?

Also is there much problems with lifting? And are the sides and back prone to more wear and tear as I would sleeping with it on?

When you made the switch to self maintance, did it take you long to get the hang of it?

Again, thanks for all your help so far.
02-29-2012, 12:12 PM,
(02-29-2012, 10:07 AM)pokerAce316 Wrote: I have a fair bit of my own hair still left and plan on tracing the existing hair line, is it advisable to blend some in with the backs and sides? If so how much and how do you maintain it each month?

Paul has more experience with utilizing existing hair but I will say that yes, if you can incorporate some existing hair it can help add to the illusion. The benefit is that it will ease the transition making it less detectable to touch and sight, the drawback is that you won't be able to rock the shaved look if you are ever so inclined.

Quote:Also is there much problems with lifting? And are the sides and back prone to more wear and tear as I would sleeping with it on?

The nape area of a full cap is prone to lifting. If you can get away with attaching at the base of the skull as opposed to on the neck it will help eliminate problems, and if you utilize some of your existing hair it should help keep it from lifting as well.

As far as wear and tear goes, I sleep in my full caps most of the time and the first area to shed is always the back (friction from the pillow). This shouldn't be a problem if you have a very good maintenance routine but in my case that's where the my units first show signs of wear.

Quote:When you made the switch to self maintance, did it take you long to get the hang of it?

I started with DIY hair replacement so I can't answer from that angle, but I will say that there is a learning curve that can be steep but it's defintely doable. I would count on it taking you 3-6 months to get the hang of it and a couple of years to really polish up your routine.
03-01-2012, 02:52 AM,
Hi Pokerace, JRob`s DVD can be downloaded in segments , so you don`t have to buy the whole thing -- you can have the parts that most-interest you. Template making is not too hard...just take your time with it. I`ve always found it advisable to allow the finished Template to `stand`for a day or two because sometimes it can shrink a bit and need more material added to it.....the best way to make one, is to use `normal`-width sellotape all over first, then cover with tape which is a lot wider....the wider tape helps prevent shrinkage [usually].
I`ve attached a few pics [can`t remember if I posted all/some before] but they show the little bit of hair I kept, just in front of the ears, and at the nape--- ignore the black marker-lines on the template..... what you are looking at, is, `to -size`[finished article] Also , as you can see , the hair is quite thin/sparse and looks long...that`s just the camera [ I`m not too sure about the camera never lying !!] it`s actually only just over a 1/4 of an inch long....I colour it black too every so often....... it`s really easy to `maintain`it [as you asked] I simply `back-comb`it so it`s sticking out at right-angle to the head and the I just trim it with an electric shears...in front of the ears, I just `stick`a comb into it and `draw`the hair out from the head ,again at right-angles and simply snip the hair a bit shorter with a good scissors.....time taken----- 2 or 3 mins. !
I only have a few millimetres of hair in front of the ears as you can see..the edge of the lace sits flush against it...in fact you hardly see the growing hair once the system is attached, but I like the kind of [psychological] `` cushioning``effect, of softening the front edge of the system in case of any imperfections in/on the system.
The style I wear covers the front hairline and temple area to a degree...my main concern/worry -area is the nape --to me that`s as important as the front.....you`re conscious of it when standing in a Queue. Hope the pics are of use......

Attached Files Image(s)

03-03-2012, 10:15 AM,
You really got the hang of the picture thing Paul! Even the angles are good. It really helps being able to see that kind of detail.
03-30-2012, 02:11 PM,
Hi Paul,

What is the density on the sides of this full cap system of yours? I'm in the process of ordering mine right now and i'm looking for a similar thickness for the sides.

Dan

(03-01-2012, 02:52 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi Pokerace, JRob`s DVD can be downloaded in segments , so you don`t have to buy the whole thing -- you can have the parts that most-interest you. Template making is not too hard...just take your time with it. I`ve always found it advisable to allow the finished Template to `stand`for a day or two because sometimes it can shrink a bit and need more material added to it.....the best way to make one, is to use `normal`-width sellotape all over first, then cover with tape which is a lot wider....the wider tape helps prevent shrinkage [usually].
I`ve attached a few pics [can`t remember if I posted all/some before] but they show the little bit of hair I kept, just in front of the ears, and at the nape--- ignore the black marker-lines on the template..... what you are looking at, is, `to -size`[finished article] Also , as you can see , the hair is quite thin/sparse and looks long...that`s just the camera [ I`m not too sure about the camera never lying !!] it`s actually only just over a 1/4 of an inch long....I colour it black too every so often....... it`s really easy to `maintain`it [as you asked] I simply `back-comb`it so it`s sticking out at right-angle to the head and the I just trim it with an electric shears...in front of the ears, I just `stick`a comb into it and `draw`the hair out from the head ,again at right-angles and simply snip the hair a bit shorter with a good scissors.....time taken----- 2 or 3 mins. !
I only have a few millimetres of hair in front of the ears as you can see..the edge of the lace sits flush against it...in fact you hardly see the growing hair once the system is attached, but I like the kind of [psychological] `` cushioning``effect, of softening the front edge of the system in case of any imperfections in/on the system.
The style I wear covers the front hairline and temple area to a degree...my main concern/worry -area is the nape --to me that`s as important as the front.....you`re conscious of it when standing in a Queue. Hope the pics are of use......
03-30-2012, 07:03 PM,
I think that it`s no higher than 55% ..rises to 65% behind the ears, and 70- 75% at the neck /nape area. The top /crown is 60 -65 %. Regards and good luck with it all !