Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stylist in Los Angeles or surrounding area
02-20-2012, 03:36 PM,
Stylist in Los Angeles or surrounding area
Hello Guys, I've just ordered my first ever stock unit SFS from John and plan to bring it for a cut-in when it arrives. i know this question has been asked too many times but i didn't see one that stood up in the West Coast area (Los Angeles)? I have been hearing Didi name a lot but she is on the east coast. Appreciate your help - Thank you!
02-21-2012, 07:58 PM,
RE: Stylist in Los Angeles or surrounding area
Anyone? in Los Angeles?
02-22-2012, 04:38 AM,
Look on this page - http://www.toplace.com/hairloss-info-tips.html Scroll down & there's a list of places. Maybe one will be near you? Otherwise just google hairpiece or wig suppliers/cut-ins in L.A & ring & ask, you're bound to come up with some options. Regards
02-22-2012, 01:01 PM,
Thank you Matt! I called F&F in Los Feliz and scheduled an appointment for end of next week.

I've been reading this site for quite sometime, you GUYS are awesome with your generous advises and It feels like a family here.

I have taken notes here and there about re/de bonding and i bought all my supplies from Debbie and other stores last week. I bought Glue/Tape/Solvent/Remover/Bleaching kit/Knot sealer and all the hoopla. One question in mind, during the de-bonding - right after shampooing and conditioning. Is it better to dry the piece over the fan or blow dryer? How long do you wait until the piece dry, roughly? I am thinking about it if when i am out of town with friends at some hotel. I don't want to caught spending hours in the bathroom. Anyone?

Thank you!
02-22-2012, 07:54 PM,
Hi journey..... depending on how long you`d be away from home for, will `dictate` your routine..if it`s only for a weekend, you won`t need to be de-bonding while you`re away... just have a few care -products with you and maybe a little `` travel-pack`` in the form of a small supply of glue /tape and a little alcohol in case you might need to do a small touch-up. If I was going away for a prolonged time, I`d put a spare system in my bag, so if you need to do a de/re you can just simply pop on the clean one, and clean the `old`one later that night when you`re less pushed for time. Lace has to be clean [ residue/oil -free] and fully dry for re-bonding.Hot air as in hairdryers, is not recommended for system hair..... you can aim warm air at the underside of the base safely enough, but try to avoid the hair. I`d be cautious of bleaching knots--they`re normally bleached at the front and crown at the factory..... hair is often coloured using fabric dyes, so in order to get `at`the knots you`d have to use a fabric-dye remover first and see how they look...... it`s not something I`ve ever had to do, but have read other wearers experiences of it...bleaching weakens the hair and usually results in early shedding, so best to avoid if at all possible. I think one major mistake new wearers make is they treat the system as they would their growing hair and shampoo it to kingdom come after trowelling-on all kinds of sticky gunge ...... your main `worry`from day one, will be combating dryness / brittleness....... a good leave-in conditioner and daily spritz with water, infrequent shampooings and maybe a little pomade such as Brylcreem now and then are all I do.....each to their own....many `products` have mixtures of certain alcohols.....not all alcohols are bad for system hair but the `bad`ones are denatured....if you see ``Alcohol denat`` on the ingredients list, avoid it...... these are very drying. I just use a good leave in conditioner, and seldom shampoo the hair...if I need to clean the base [as in if I`d been sweating] I just remove the system, run some cool water and some shampoo into a basin, hold the hair in a bunch and dip the base into the water.....I agitate the water /shampoo onto the base and simply rinse out by holding the system under running water.....that`s what work for me anyway. Hope your appointment with the stylist works out fine for you. Cheers now.
02-23-2012, 07:50 AM,
RE: Stylist in Los Angeles or surrounding area and advice needed.
Paul, I have to tell you how thankful i am for your advice, you go above and beyond with your answers. I can't speak for anyone but i've been reading this forum for quite sometime. You are simply the most resourceful, patience in giving answers and advises to people whom in need. Again..thank you.

In regards to my hair-wearing, actually i have been wearing a hairpiece now for less than two weeks. I was scared of going to DIY route therefore I've opted for a salon. This salon has not contract obligation and they only have the thin-skin material. So far, I am not happy with my thin skin as (1) the hair is very thick (stock unit) (2) i am unable to style my hair the way i want it (3) it makes that plastic-ky noise when i touch especially around the edge (4) I have to hide the hairline as i can see the edges of the skin and how the hairline is slightly unnatural looking. In terms of feeling warm/hot, i went to the gym - it doesn't bother me as much but i know for sure it will get hot during the summer. I am scheduled to get it remove every 14 days to 18 days. One of my coworkers told me that my hair at the top is a little too thick, i told the salon to reduce the density by cutting it more but for some reason it is still looks too thick. Long story short, I've been researching and wanting to wear a lace as it gives the best option to style your hair with an undetectable hairline and breathe-ability therefore i bought my first stock unit SFS lace system from John last week and i hope the system looks great. I am scheduled to bring to another salon next week for cut-in and giving my thin-skin a break first and i will decided which one is better in terms of the hairpiece. I want to go do-it-your-own route as i am a control freak. I bought every single items/products from Debbie and HD and another website for ORWG. I bought everything from Stick it tape to blue tape to Walker no shine to ghost bond glue, ORWG, ultra hold for touch up, knot sealer and even the Styrofoam to dry the piece and many other things. the only thing missing is Glue-melter and a mirror for the slide. I am hoping that the SFS lace will give me a better result and breatheability as i am a very active person, i go to the gym 4 times a week. Hygiene is very important to me.

My question is with a proper cleaning of the scalp and reasonable time to let the glue dry and other things constant, How long do you think will a glue bonding at the front and tape at the back will hold given that i am a very active person? PS: I don't do running, i only do weight lifting - i don't sweat as much. What is the best option? Glue or tape? Thanks
(02-22-2012, 07:54 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi journey..... depending on how long you`d be away from home for, will `dictate` your routine..if it`s only for a weekend, you won`t need to be de-bonding while you`re away... just have a few care -products with you and maybe a little `` travel-pack`` in the form of a small supply of glue /tape and a little alcohol in case you might need to do a small touch-up. If I was going away for a prolonged time, I`d put a spare system in my bag, so if you need to do a de/re you can just simply pop on the clean one, and clean the `old`one later that night when you`re less pushed for time. Lace has to be clean [ residue/oil -free] and fully dry for re-bonding.Hot air as in hairdryers, is not recommended for system hair..... you can aim warm air at the underside of the base safely enough, but try to avoid the hair. I`d be cautious of bleaching knots--they`re normally bleached at the front and crown at the factory..... hair is often coloured using fabric dyes, so in order to get `at`the knots you`d have to use a fabric-dye remover first and see how they look...... it`s not something I`ve ever had to do, but have read other wearers experiences of it...bleaching weakens the hair and usually results in early shedding, so best to avoid if at all possible. I think one major mistake new wearers make is they treat the system as they would their growing hair and shampoo it to kingdom come after trowelling-on all kinds of sticky gunge ...... your main `worry`from day one, will be combating dryness / brittleness....... a good leave-in conditioner and daily spritz with water, infrequent shampooings and maybe a little pomade such as Brylcreem now and then are all I do.....each to their own....many `products` have mixtures of certain alcohols.....not all alcohols are bad for system hair but the `bad`ones are denatured....if you see ``Alcohol denat`` on the ingredients list, avoid it...... these are very drying. I just use a good leave in conditioner, and seldom shampoo the hair...if I need to clean the base [as in if I`d been sweating] I just remove the system, run some cool water and some shampoo into a basin, hold the hair in a bunch and dip the base into the water.....I agitate the water /shampoo onto the base and simply rinse out by holding the system under running water.....that`s what work for me anyway. Hope you appointment with the stylist works out fine for you. Cheers now.

Great advice for the cleaning the base only without the cleaning the hair. I will take a note on that!

By the way, i have been using this Serum for my hair. it's called L'oreal everstyle smooth and Shine Serum, alcohol free and it's only $6+. It helps with the drying and i only use it at the tip of the hair to make it shine and smooth. I used it every day and it works great.
02-23-2012, 08:59 AM,
Ah, glad to be of help. Yeah the serums are good, especially when the hair has been freshly washed ..helps seal -in moisture and of course the reason you get a nice shine from them is they contains silicon/s. You can apply them onto the hair nearer the base..not just at the tips.
I wore all -poly systems before, with full [all -over] glue bonds.... for up to 4 weeks at a time.Don`t know how I didn`t end up with a major infection on the scalp from the accumulated sweat and skin-shedding which goes on daily all over the body ..... all that being `trapped`under [basically] a layer of rubber..used to go to the gym a lot too...no way of washing the sweat off from under that lot !
I like the breathability of lace.... and even if you don`t want to do a full removal as in after sweating a bit, you can allow water onto the system to water-down the sweat....acids in sweat will attack any base material over time. With a lace, you can just do a perimeter-bond using glue all the way, or a combination of glue at the front and tapes around the rest of it......this allows the scalp to breath and you feel cooler in summer too..... it`s ok to wet the hair/head after your gym effort...no need to shampoo... the bond won`t usually be negatively -affected by water...... it`s impossible to say what will work best for you in terms of hold....that`s really a bit of a personal learning/experimental curve initially ...... you certainly pushed the boat out in terms of buying supplies..... you may end up not using many of them.......but at least you can try them..... if you allow your lace-release time to penetrate properly , your lace should come free of the adhesives, with little or no residue on the lace...most will be on the scalp...... a little glue-melter onto any residues on your lace, will soften it, and you can easily use a strip of bubble-wrap instead of a mirror [saves cleaning the mirror later] to rub any residue off the lace....... for the stronger glues and tapes which will usually be on the scalp, I`d recommend one of the citrus -based solvents as these literally attack the adhesive materials and dissolve them, so you can easily wipe them off your scalp...... the ORWG seems to give a really strong hold and resists oils/sweat..... I use Walker no-shine tape and find it gives a pretty firm grip..... I`m very lazy with my bonds though...only use a few little strips of it, but if I was going to be doing strenuous things like gym etc. I`d use more ..... the trick with glues is apply thin coats, allowing each one to go almost dry, before finally pressing the lace down onto it...don`t ever ever push your lace onto wet glue.....a big boo-boo. In view of your more active lifestyle,you should be able to get at least a week [ possibly more] if you use ORWG ....many guys get far longer bond-times with it, but it may need to be replaced if you`ve been profusely sweating....... as you go to the gym so frequently, I`d really advise you to do a weekly de-bond and if at all possible, leave the thing off your head at least one night over the weekend....just to give the skin which has had glue/tape on it a chance to `breath`and go completely dry....
The reason your skin stock still looks thick on top is because they`ve probably thinned it with a thinning scissors...all this does is shorten some hairs....the `stubble` is still there near the base..... if the hairs have been machine-injected, they are still anchored in to the skin...if they are looped they will eventually work their way out over time..... with a lace base, you can thin out the hair from the underside using dabs of hair-removal cream ..this removes the knot and hair...is far trickier to thin a skin system. Stocks have their limitations , but as long as the colour match is ok and the medium density is matching your remaining hair, they can be fine..sometimes the edge will get ripples in it due to the head -shape it`s sitting on.....custom are normally a snugger fit, but some guys get a perfect fit with a stock, plus the `Freestyle` ventilation can be pretty easy to train into a particular style.
Don`t apply knot sealer until your system settles `down`....maybe 10 -14 days into wearing...especially if you want to `train`the hair into one style.... once it`s applied it tends to `lock`the knots into place..... it`s basically an acrylic skin....apply very very sparingly...just barely dab it on with a cotton cloth moistened with it--- if you can see it `wet` on the lace, you`re applying it too heavily and it will seep through onto the hair causing clumps. One small bottle is enough to treat a minimum of 6 systems, if not more, so go very easy with it. Sorry I can`t be more specific on the bond-duration, but it really really is a case of `` suck `em and see``...hope the Friday outing will be great !
02-23-2012, 09:41 PM,
Thank you Paul, wow great advice! especially in regards to the knots-sealer and tricks & tips with the glue. I like the combination of tapes at the back and glue at the front. I have been hearing ORWG as the "it" Glue for quite sometime, i am gonna to try it. I dont know how you could last for 4 weeks with the skin. 2 weeks with the skin for me is hell, i am new to this and i dont know how to debond it on my own. I am scheduled to go to the salon next week for removal. I feel like i am trapped, the hair quality doesnt help it either. I feel like a dead cat sitting on top of my head, it doesnt look that bad but i couldnt style it the way i want to and the hair is so thick, rigid and old-fashioned. The scalp in between the hairs is very unnatural, i can see the knots looking like stocking nets. I think my thin skin is machine-injected. Every time i touch my hair, it makes that plastic noise. Today was the third time i went to the gym since ive been wearing it for 2 weeks and i worked my ass of today, i lift heavier weights. My scalp felt so warm underneath the skin, The glue oozes from the base of my skin. I had to clean the residue with lace release with a q-tip slowly without touching the base, it wasnt that bad but i feel dirty. That's why i cant wait for my SFS lace for the breathe-ability factor. I am hoping that the stock unit fits me perfectly. I like the idea of leaving your scalp free for one night without wearing any piece, i would probably wear a hat the next morning as well and do my heavy running at the gym before i wear the piece that afternoon.

I have a few questions to ask if you dont mind:
1) Does the human hair on SFS lace feel softer than the injected Thin Skin since you've experienced with the skin or poly before?
2) My next order will be a custom and i need to make my own template, My question is Where does the lace ends for measurement? Right on the edge of the hair or 1/2 inch away from the edge? I know that lace can be stretch if i am not mistaken.
3) Speaking of travelling, if i go to Hawaii for two weeks in cool weather about 26 degrees celcius or 87 F, with no swimming or no strenous activities, just leasuring. Can the piece last for 2 weeks with good tapes like walker no shine or supertape and glue? Does it have odor if i dont take it out during that period?
Thank you again..cheers
02-23-2012, 10:50 PM,
Sounds like a not very nice system at all .... is it bonded all-over? If there is that `plastic` sound when you touch it, it`s usually because it`s not fully glued down.... It`s been a few years since I wore poly., and I guess it was a `heavier`[thicker] material than the newer ones..the more recent ones are much lighter and thinner..sounds to me like you`ve got an `old`type supplied to you..they aren`t really suitable for a person with a more active lifestyle [in my humble opinion] because even when doing non-aerobic activities, you`ll still sweat a bit...that sweat will be trapped under a poly material as there is no way it can evaporate/dry off ---not comfortable and causes itchiness at the very least. If left on for a long time, it really will smell awful on removal day--that`s caused by bacteria.... not a nice situation at all. I`ve had that problem too of glue breaking down and seeping out onto the growing hair--- you`re so `conscious` of it being visible to others.... lace will suit your lifestyle much better --you`ll feel cOoler and heat can escape from your head more normally.....as you know, the body loses most of it`s heat through the crown.
Removing poly systems is trickier, in that , unlike lace, the poly is impervious to liquids, so your lace -release will not go through it, onto the adhesive material underneath.
I never de-bonded one of those myself....the salon person would do it by spraying some solvent [usually a citrus -based one] onto the very front edge and gently peeling back that first few millimeters of material, spraying on more solvent as she went.... it was a bit of a tedious process. In winter time, the glue would still be very strong and the growing hair underneath, would have grown/got stuck into the glue...man was that some sore process--you`d literally feel like a layer of scalp was being peeled off !! All you do with lace is, spray lace-release [ `` up-close`` ] onto the perimeter...a plastic syringe can be handy for jetting it on `locally`....wait a minute or two for it to break the hold of the adhesive/s and the system will just lift off...very little fuss and NO pain !! Most of the residue will be on the head...as I said previously, a good dousing with citrus solvent, allow it to `sit`for at least 5 minutes or more, and wipe off the melted `mess`!Then, just shampoo your head and growing hair as normal ........ a sweat-band worn around the head stops the solvent running down into the eyes etc. [keep it well-away from your eyes] Use an alcohol-based glue melter for removing any bits of residue on the lace......it evaporates and leaves the lace `clean` ... you can certainly use citrus-based solvent on lace too, but it tends to be `oily`and leave it`s own brand of `residue`on the lace which need to be fully washed out or it will affect your new bond.
To answer your questions: [1] No..the hair texture is not affected by the base material into which it`s anchored [not being `smart `with you] but `Hair is hair` ...donor hair is not `standard` as you`ll appreciate, but is generally of good quality .....sometimes though the hair can be more `processed` depending on the factory and colour/s required etc., so it can `behave`differently form one system to the next while in wear....it`s one of those things you just cannot give a `definite` answer to...... some systems last longer than others...can be down to the manufacturing process and the individual `local` conditions such as climate and how an individual wearer treats it ...exposure to oxidation from sun and chlorine in water / swimming pools etc. all have a bearing on the wearable-life of a system.
[2] You can keep your lace maybe 2 or 3 millimeters ``inside`` your growing hair at the sides and back...there is `stretch`in lace but you don`t want to over-do it or you could rip it and/or get it `bunching`up in other places around the perimeter. Half an inch would be far too much of a gap but neither do you want to have it over-lapping your growing hair or glues/tapes will get stuck on the hair and cause `lumps` which are detectable to touch.
Have you checked out the tutorial by Snipe ? Link here : http://s768.photobucket.com/albums/xx325...1QQtppZZ16
Just mouse-over the pics for a more detailed instruction.
The first video clip here , by Michigan Baldie, deals exactly with your question re template size: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...l2-3.3l6l0
[3] If I was going away like that and just chilling-out for a while, I`d keep it pretty simple--bring some tape with you and lace-release [ there can be restrictions on flammable liquids, as you know , in hand-baggage, but small quantities are ok for checked-in bags--your airline will have those published on their website] and some small quantities of your care-products.....I`m a huge fan of that `` Enhance`` leave-in daily conditioner....it`s got sunscreen in it too...very cheap to buy.....just Google `PPI Enhance` for suppliers. A little atomiser bottle is really invaluable too for spritzing your hair with water..... Walker no-shine gives a good strong hold and is really easy too, when removing/cleaning in my experience...... you can take a little container of glue with you `just in case` but you`ll probably be fine with just using tape/s ..... you can get tape contours for the front to `deal` with the curved front [I find them a bit `fiddly`to work -with] .. if I`m travelling abroad, I usually use a bit of glue at the front, but I only use a `light` coating in case I want to remove it `early`and don`t want a major clean-up ..... when I go travelling, you`d think I was moving house if you looked in my bag with all the little bottles of various `supplies`` ! lol . You may not get a full 2 weeks from a hold while away like that,s you may still get relatively hot days when you`ll sweat a bit more than normal and the body-temperature will rise , but just using tape/s can make the de/re fairly quick/clean..... but no, you won`t have any unpleasant odours etc. because your head can `breath` .....just a perimeter bond with tape and maybe a little glue around the front, really helps with the hygiene issue....... I`m not trying to talk-down `skin` systems...just that for certain situations they may not be as suitable/practical ... all materials have plus-es and minus-es....... hope that helps !
02-24-2012, 08:03 AM,
Thanks for the tips again Paul...notes taken about the lace and links for making the template!

I am sure the new skin is better and i wish i had that but i don't think mine is the new kind, i have a feeling mine is the old fashioned kind. To answer your question in regards to the noise, when i touch the hair in a bunch - it makes that plastic noise, not just the base. A friend of mine wanted to touch my hair but i wont let her as i was embarrassed to get caught. The hair itself is curly before the cut, i was skeptical as my hair wasn't that curly rather it was a body wave. I told the hairstylist about the blending problem but the hairstylist said since it is a stock unit, it is not flexible and a custom unit will cost $900, the only way to blend it is by using a hair relaxer or you can use a straightening iron. hmmm? After the hairstylist cut and blow-dry it, the hair doesn't move at all. it just stayed there. I am not regretting it, it looks decent tho' but it is too old-fashioned for me (think of James Dean back in the days with less hairline exposed) and i am only 29 years old. I saw some peeps here wearing laces and the results are mind-blowing. I would do anything to look natural especially at the hairline as money is not a issue to me at this point but at the same time i want to do it on my own. I just want to look natural. I guess it is a learning curve for errors and trials but i am not giving up as i have come a long way and know it gets better with time and experience. I can't wait for my cut in next week with the lace, i will tell you how it goes...Cheers.