Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does my piece get so oily?
02-14-2012, 05:23 PM,
Why does my piece get so oily?
So I've been having this problem since I got my piece. The hair gets so oily sometimes, after about three or four days. I thought it was because I was styling it with wax, so I stopped using that, washed the piece, conditioned, both with sulfate free color safe stuff. I haven't used any styling products on it at all, and at first it's nice and clean and lustrous, then after a couple of days, weighed down and really oily. It's to the point where the plastic hair band I use to keep my hair back when I wash my face is totally greasy on the area where it touches my hair. Any ideas?
02-14-2012, 08:44 PM,
RE: Why does my piece get so oily?
Hi Mender .... never heard of this before.... it`s always `` my hair is dry and I need to get it soft and shiny again``. If you`re not putting product/s on it , the only way it could possibly get anything like `oils` if from your own scalp...do you have an oily scalp ? I assume though, that if you had a very oily scalp, you`d be having issues of your bond/s coming loose. Applying knot-sealer [if you haven`t already] could help, as it forms an acrylic skin on the underside of the base....you could also try something like `scalp protector` on your scalp ..it`s supposed to keep oils away from your tapes/glues etc. That`s all I can think of anyway....maybe someone else has an idea and can chip -in.....system hair normally suffers from dryness, so this is a `first`for me anyway....cheers.
02-15-2012, 02:34 AM,
That's the strangest, I have trouble keeping the moisture in and always use conditioning sprays. My natural hair and scalp gets very oily and never had this happen.
02-15-2012, 06:21 AM,
Yeah I thought it a bit strange too. I do have an oily scalp. Didn't think it'd seep through to the hair though. And I don't use scalp protector. You may be right. The only thing is that the reason I don't use it is because I break out in a rash when I do. I thought it was the glue and tape, but when I started attaching without the scalp protector, I never broke out again. What should I do?
02-15-2012, 07:10 AM,
I think some guys use an aerosol anti-perspirant on their freshly-shampooed scalps if they suffer from excessive sweating and oil...you could try that as the scalp protector doesn`t seem to `agree`with you skin... I guess by simple logic, if you`re not using styling products at all, there is no way the hair could be getting `anything` except from your scalp [though I`ve never ever heard of it ] so creating a barrier between the scalp and base should sort it out.... use of knot-sealer on your base will also help. I`d recommend a decent leave-in conditioner ---- the one I`m always ranting about is ``PPI Enhance`` ...it`s non-greasy, and has the consistency of water, and has sunscreen in it. This is the maker`s site: http://www.ppi.cc/conditioners_hair_replace.htm it`s the third one down [Green bottle]
You can Google ppi enhance for other suppliers ...... you`ll definitely need to maintain you hair and that one is excellent in my experience.....I always order 3 bottles at a time !
That`s all I can suggest anyway....regards for now.
02-15-2012, 07:56 AM,
Do you run your fingers through your hair a lot?
02-15-2012, 10:26 AM,
If there is some kind of buildup on the hair will you have to use stronger shampoo to remove it.

Mild, sulfate free shampoos are great for weekly maintenance cleaning but they are formulated specifically so they won't strip the hair of oils so they won't remove a lot of build up. If you use styling products it is likely inevitable that you will have to break out a stronger cleanser from time to time. The important thing is to use something that is very gentle for your normal maintenance routine.
02-15-2012, 09:37 PM,
maybee tackling the problem from another angle,
lets take a look at youre diet?skin in general, could be worth a visit to youre doctor,
he she may precscribe medication in addition to diet lifestyle,
maybee over production of sebum,ect

worth checking it out.
hope this helps
anty Smile
02-16-2012, 03:49 PM,
Paul, thanks so much for that link! I've gotta try those products out. I've been using a leave in conditioner from Sally's called coloresse. I spray it right after i shampoo. Makes the hair look and feel great, but I'm always interested in trying new stuff.

Ltb: I rarely touch my hair unless I'm brushing to style in the mornings or before going out. I'm kinda one of those "don't touch the hair" guys.

Jrob: I've been using that Loreal sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. I don't use any products in it aside from that conditioner after I shampoo once a week. Should I still use a regular color safe shampoo? The few times I have when I run out my hair just feels so blah and dry. Maybe that's when I should use styling products?
Oops sorry antywanty! Almost forgot you!

Well I've always had oily skin. Not Overly oily or weirdly gooey or anything, but my scalp would get more oily if I wouldn't shampoo at least once a day. I guess that's the problem here since I'm not shampooing for about a week and I'm not using any barrier. Maybe I should try orwg. Any of you have experience with that?
02-16-2012, 08:53 PM,
iv allways used orwg, fantastic rock solid hold,in the early weeks of wearing the salon bonded my hair and did hairline touch ups, i was scared to touch it , this new , strange foreign hair on my head,
she didnt use orwg,something im sure inferior, maybee it was the fact that the silicon layer on the new peice was still there and hadnt worn or washed away,
but simply do the usual prep,i could waffle on, but ill condense the advice,
and state the facts, for a megga rock solid bond, make sure youre scalp and hair peice surfaces are megga dry,thats the ultimate tipp,if youre bond isnt adhering then theres still oil there sweat,megga dry is the secret, and clean youre hands fingers soap +water to gett ridd of and oils there, clean up even after 3-4 weeks is relativley easy aswell,
something i admit i dont enjoy,but its part of the routine,and is deffinitly a price worth paying for feeling great.
just search the forum for orwg there will be many tipps on application, clean up, ect
regards
"takes a brave person to wear, but hell is that bravery rewarded, ohh yeah!!!!!"
antySmile