Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
removing adhesive from scalp
01-23-2012, 07:24 AM,
removing adhesive from scalp
I use ORWG for my full cap bond and was wondering if there are any tips to make removing the glue adhesive from my scalp when I de-bond? I'm using adhesive remover on my scalp but I'm not sure if I'm using too much, too little, and if I'm leaving it on long enough, but basically it's really hard to get all the glue off my head. I use a microfiber cloth but it's still quite an ordeal. I'm using 'pro touch' adhesive remover from HD. Also, I have existing hair that grows between attachments, so it's not like I'm removing glue from smooth hairless skin, it's all stubble, which might make it more difficult, I don't know.

Any tips for me to make this easier/less time-consuming?

thanks
01-23-2012, 08:29 AM,
RE: removing adhesive from scalp
Hi expriest.... how`s the new Fullcap -wearing coming along ? I remember you were struggling with your thin/er sides and a topper before and were finding it a right pain--is the nape area on the new system ok ? Think you brought it down more on the template....turn out well ?
Never used ORWG yet...if/when I ever use up this bottle of `Tracksafe` [very similar to ORWG] I`ll probably order it ..... I only use a few strips of Walker No-shine here and there daily. What kind of bond-duration are you getting ?
Some of those glues can be stubborn, even after being in place for a while and you`d be expecting them to begin to weaken and break down.....have you tried any of the citrus-based solvents like C-22 or De-solv-it ? Alcohol `melters` can be weak on some glues and need repeated applications and rubbing with microfibre cloths etc...have you tried the bubble -wrap method too ? I`ve always liked the citrus solvents....spray on, allow time to work and wipe off....in my salon days they used one called `Re-move`... they put a sweat-band around the head, sprayed it on and left it soak-in for at least 5 mins....then wiped it off with kitchen towel---it was just one mass of `gloop`... those citrus ones are very effective at dissolving the glue .
01-23-2012, 09:06 AM,
one iv released my topper (partial)iuse a fine toothed comb over my head,
after 3 weeks the bond is pretty weak, and the adhesive,orwg,has chemically changed to semi liquid, so after applying c-22, running my metal fine toothed comb through grabs a lot of the mess,then i spray again with either more citrus based c22, or alcohol,
spraying my own natural hair as the glue from the back of the head will find its way into you’re natural hair, during clean up and whilst bonded,

i also wash my scalp and natural growing hair with "simple" mild shampoo for sensitive scalps.
usually twice.
as the oils in the citrus based removers add a little bit to the oily problem as they contain it.
***it does take a few applications of either shampoo mild or alcohol to get the scalp squeaky clean,
good test is to wash your hands warm soap water, then run a finger over the front of your scalp , just as a barometer of how oily it is,

I don’t like clean ups, I doubt anyone does, but it’s the price you pay to wear
and yeah it’s worth it,
once you have a routine its pretty easy, because you know what to do when you hit a prop go down route a or b ,bit like a flow chart,experience is the key.
and you only get it from hands on,
anty
01-23-2012, 10:07 AM,
thanks.

Paul, I am using a citrus-based remover, it's called pro touch, made by hair direct. I wonder if there are stronger/better ones to try on my scalp?

I am getting a week out of my attachments currently with ORWG. I'm really liking my full cap so far, I think it's actually gonna work for me! I just need to tweak my next template and I think I'll have it nailed.

However, I do have one issue I'd like to ask you about Paul... my nape area was itching quite badly toward the end of my latest attachment, and I scratched at it here and there. Well, today I removed it for a rebond and noticed a bunch of red bumps/irritation in that area. I will attached pics tomorrow (can't right now). Obviously I think it would make sense to not wear for a few days, but the only problem with that is I would have to stay home the entire time as a baseball cap doesn't cover the baldness when you wear a full cap. I guess I could wear a beanie (it's a winter hat, and it's winter!). So never mind, although it'll look strange when I never take my winter hat off lol

Anyway, what do you think? I hope this doesn't become a recurring issue. I actually can't take a few days off right now so I have to re-attach. I'm a bit concerned about putting glue on these areas. Not sure about the safety of that, and I don't want to make it worse.

I'm kinda bummed about this right now.

Have you had this itching/irritation problem?
01-23-2012, 10:27 AM,
You could try using Scalp Protector in sensitive areas. It will form an extra barrier for your skin.
Also Neutrogena Medicated T-Gel shampoo is great stuff.
I use it now and then when I get an irritated patch and it immediately starts healing & soothing. After a few hours I can re attach with no problems.
01-23-2012, 10:52 AM,
I wasn`t too sure about `Pro touch` --if it was alcohol or citrus.... I think the trick with them is you have to allow them time to `work`/ soak onto the glue...tricky if the glue is down the back of your head like in the nape area....maybe a small cloth soaked in it and held against the glue there for a while might help..... I also got some lumps/bumps in that area initially.... it has settled back down again....I reckoned it was due to the effects of shaving the hair there --that skin is not `used`to things like razor blades or similar things there ... I did experience some itching there too..... again , I put it down to the skin there being slightly chafed by the rubbing of lace...I`m wearing French lace and while one system is very delicate [I even asked John if the factory had made it in Swiss in error--apparently not ] the other is definitely that bit `rougher` texture-wise.....what I find very soothing for any kind of irritations like that, is `Sudocrem` http://www.sudocrem.com/ ..... depending on where the itchy/red bits are, what I`ve done before [Topper] was, I had 2 areas which were seriously irritated and in danger of the skin actually breaking, I applied some sudocrem, then covered both over with a plaster to keep area protected from rubbing and prevent the sudocrem from staining the lace....just did a lighter [shorter-term bond around the perimeter] and it healed quickly.... a good way to apply it and prevent the plaster from falling off if it`s sitting onto excess sudo which may have been spread on the skin, is apply the sudo directly to the soft pad of the plaster itself..then stick that on over the area to be covered. If some of the affected/itchy skin is right on the perimeter line, just apply a plaster there and apply your bonding -tape either side of it to hold your system on---a little part of the perimeter not bonded-down at the nape will make no difference for a few days..won`t be seen.... I know you`re using glue to hold your system on [presumably at the back too] but just use less glue at the front and only tape around near the nape..that will allow for a de-bond maybe twice in a week with an easier clean-up....replace the plasters if you need to...but the sudocrem is very healing and soothing on most skin conditions....I found that the bumps/lumps eventually vanished over time...think the skin just `toughened-up` a bit..... it`s probably only temporary, as mine was.....just do a `lighter` bond and remove it again after 2 or 3 days, remove the old plasters and have a look..if it needs a few more and some more sudocrem, just replace and do a light-bond again.....the sudo will stop the itching too.