Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skin unit ease of use?
01-17-2012, 07:37 AM,
Skin unit ease of use?
I have a few skin units and I just feel like there is a misconception about them. You hear time and again how much easier it is to work with and the clean up etc, but I find that to be a statement without any merit. I have asked people over and over why a skin is easier and they never really answer.. The only time to me when a skin system is easier to deal with is if you are using something like GOT2b glued for a head bond.

With lace you can use a host of all kinds of tapes etc, many of which are no or low residue. I find that half the strong tapes and glues you can't use on the thin skins. Even the no residue tapes can form a sticky hard to remove residue on certain thin skins. And the strong tapes like blue liner, forget about those. youll never get it off. On top of that if you don't do an entire head bond with skin it feels weird and hot and makes noises to the touch. So the only benefits I get when using skin is to attach the base with got2b glued and the very front hairline with a cream glue like oil resistant white glue.. In areas where u sweat, the skin has a harder time holding up for me than lace.. the oils and sweat break down glues at the hairline quicker than with lace for me personally.

Overall the only pros as far as ease of use with skin for me are got2b and cleaning up cream glues without having to worry about bleed through the lace. Its also cool not having to worry about the actual hairs popping out through the bottom since it is closed off by the skin.. but overall attachment and removal with stronger adhesives seem easier to me with lace.
01-17-2012, 10:50 AM,
RE: Skin unit ease of use?
x how long does your skin unit last? Is it more or less durable than lace?
01-17-2012, 03:46 PM,
The ones I have seem more durable. But I don' thave the thinnest skin out on the market. The V-looped method can shed I heard. I haven't had much of an issue with it, but just keep that in mind it might shed more than usual. The system I had with tiny knots on skin didn't shed at all.. it was quite durable.

One good thing about skin, if you can get it right, or if it matches ur skin tone.. more accurately has a translucent quality, it can look very good. With lace you have to worry about different lighting conditions and angles to see a grid type pattern, with skin u don't have to worry about these patterns showing. The biggest thing with skin is that line at the front.. but for me it wasn't really a problem. Sometimes I think the skin can be even more invisible than lace when it really blends into ur skin tones. I think the most translucent the skin gets the better..
01-17-2012, 06:50 PM,
For a firm solid hold for say a week with skin , what glue/tape do you recommend? I use blue tape and ghost bond for lace , but you say this is not a good idea. I need to stock up on glues so would be nice to know exactly what to get ?
01-17-2012, 09:41 PM,
I sometimes find the same, alot of people wanting to know about how good a skin unit is, but alot of dodging the questions asked. I do however remember a nice post that showed alot of pics of thin skin that was very informative. There seems to me alot of confusing ideas on how suitable they are for sticky clammy climates, some say they are ok, others say its not ok. How to bond them, and what not to do. Id love to try one of these ones out but my work prevents me doing so. I also live and holiday in a climate that is very humid and warm. Theres alot of ifs and what ifs that make me at least nervous in purchasing one. Regardless of that, for myself, I appreciate everyone efforts in asking and showing their skin pieces. Theres alot of interest in them.
01-18-2012, 08:49 AM,
Interest in skin comes and goes throughout the years. I agree, there are a lot of considerations and personal preferences involved.. I think with the ultra thin skins even attaching is a little more challenging I hear. Skins vary with materials used, but the ones I have used.. it is not like poly.. residue really wants to stick onto it. I would never use blue tape or any real strong adhesives on it.. Blue tape forget it ! I would go for more a light hold tape, a very low residue tape.. or even some kind of duo tac.. U could also put down a layer of scotch tape down first on the base and than put a stronger tape on top of it.. In theory to remove u can just peel off the scotch tape and it comes off clean.. however.. For me.. There was actually residue left behind with the scotch tape.. It could have been the particular tape i was using. I am not sure.

For me the best is got2b with skin units and cream glue on the front *orwg.

As for heat.. Rule of thumb for me personally.. Ur better off doing an entire head bond than just the perimeter. U don't feel the heat as much because there is no air in between for your scalp to breath and sweat.. When u have a full bond your sweat glands are blocked off and it feels more comfortable as ironic as that sounds.. when u just do the perimeter.. the air gap between the scalp and base allows sweat and heat to build up and feels uncomfortable.

thats my 2 cents