Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Flowbee haircut
01-23-2012, 08:41 AM,
RE: Flowbee haircut
Looks very good, Andrei your quite a negative chap,always a little dig ...
01-23-2012, 12:11 PM,
really? is it me or do I see a bald spot above the right ear?(first pic)so it is not that a sign of a bad haircut?I am trying to say what I am seeing...i am not gonna lie telling it's perfect.
01-23-2012, 08:37 PM,
His side hair is thin ,that`s all...when he darkens it down a little it will disguise it...he could also leave it grow out a tiny bit too....most joe-soap`s won`t notice a thing...everyone on sites like this all have eagle-vision !
01-23-2012, 09:17 PM,
Thanks everyone,

Yeah I guess my sides too thin and I probably overcut so it looks imperfect. But no drama, I can grow the side hair later on Smile

Today I went outside and nobody notice my hair. Just look normal. I'm so glad. However, up till now, I haven't met my friends. Although they will be fine with it (or maybe don't really care), I'm still nervous.
01-24-2012, 12:53 AM,
Aries, looks like you did a fine job with attachment, just wondering besides price wise is their any reason why you used a flowbe for cutting in instead of a stylist? I think after coloring as Paul advises your sides will blend better into piece. Also just my 2cents but I would grow sides out a bit and if you have access to a stylist I would definetly recommend a cut in done by them, but otherwise looks great. Oh, lastly I was same as you after my initial cut in, even though I asked some strangers if they could tell I was wearing and assured not, I still felt as though people were looking at my hair, so paranoid. Believe me all in your head, the feeling will go away in a week or so lol. Good luck to you.
01-24-2012, 02:43 AM,
(01-23-2012, 09:17 PM)aries2004 Wrote: Thanks everyone,

Yeah I guess my sides too thin and I probably overcut so it looks imperfect. But no drama, I can grow the side hair later on Smile

Today I went outside and nobody notice my hair. Just look normal. I'm so glad. However, up till now, I haven't met my friends. Although they will be fine with it (or maybe don't really care), I'm still nervous.

Hey Aries,

First off, let me say that as a first attachment, and DIY cut-in, it's an amazing job.

As critiques go, I'd agree w/ Paul, Eric and Andrei ... maybe a slight color disparity, but it's hard to tell if the sides and back are lighter, or if they just look that way because more scalp is showing through. And generally, if there is a slight color mismatch, it's more natural to have the top lighter than your growing hair, rather than the other way around. So maybe darken your own, and/or grow out the sides a bit.

And yes, if something caught my eye, it is more to do w/ the haircut than the piece ... like that side shot around the ear ... probably a slip w/ the cutter, nothing to do w/ the piece at all.

So for the cut, it looks a bit choppy and unfinished, but that is actually a pretty hip style these days. If you did that good of a job on the first try, you'll definitely improve quickly ... I think you'd do well to get yourself a pair of thinning shears and/or a razor comb, do the "broad strokes" w/ the flowbee, and tweak the blend points w/ the hand tools. It's high art, to be sure ... even professional stylists have trouble cutting their own hair.

And I agree that initial nervousness is tough ... and it's why I think attitude is so important in wearing successfully. When we're nervous, I think there is something in our body language, eye contact, etc. that puts people's "radar" up ... they can feel it. This may cause lingering looks, or maybe even just the PERCEPTION that people are looking. As you improve your skill, you are simultaneously adjusting to the idea of wearing, and you begin to relax ... and everyone around you will as well.

If someone notices your hair, you can tell by darting upward glances, above your line of sight. People you're close to may do this just because they know your hair looks different ... it doesn't mean it looks bad or obvious. If I notice these upward glances when talking to a stranger, that is the only time I decide something may be off or needs improvement.

Nice work ... carry on Wink

~FB
01-24-2012, 03:08 PM,
Thanks Eric and Furball,

The reason I didn't go to stylist was because I want to do this independently. I Want to learn and so in the future I can do my own tweaking and cutting whenever and wherever I want. And also i want to save money here, because most stylist charge me more than $100. I understand the haircut done by hairstylist will be way better than my flowbee and blending sheer. But as starter, I just want to have decent enough for my hair cut. If Im bored with my own DIY cut in, then I'll go to stylist. It is good to have a change in a while.

Luckily my hair style was similar to the style when I used toppik. But the difference is that hair system looks healthy and shiny, compared to my hair with toppik on.. It looked dry and little shine. This is the worry that I have since then. Definitely my friends will spot this Sad

I think.. The color difference between hair system and side hair is because of hair strand? the hair strand on my side is thinner and lighter compared to hair system, it's thick and healthy. I will give the black color a try to be applied on my side hair, hoping it looks thicker, hence blend perfectly.

My problem now is that my lace is wrinkled. It is very hard to do perfect attachment. How do you guys handle this? My attachment was using tape (walkerno shine) around the parameter. I used alcohol before attachment, so it gives me some time to adjust. But still it wrinkled.

Yeah I feel better and less paranoid now compared to my first day. Ive just been from supermarket, the guy didn't look at my hair. Then i hop on train, and no one gave me weird look Phew.. Hehehe sorry I'm still recovering from this paranoia.

Thanks again guys, your feedback are very helpful.
01-24-2012, 03:38 PM,
I admire your decision to go it alone. Being a noob at wearing I wouldn't have the balls to try my own cut in, but that's just me. Maybe to save on some cash you could see if a local barber could just cut your back and sides and leave the system alone. Would only cost a regular hair cut? Not sure if anyone on here has done that just offering a possibility for you. As far as the wrinkling of lace issue that's partly why I still go to stylist for my de/rebonds. After each visit she is slowly (my pace) showing me each time how to do it myself. When she attaches, it feels so tight and secure still not sure how I'm gonna get as good by doing it myself. Guess it will come in time though. Sure the guys on here can offer you their tips on that.

You had me chuckling on your being on train, reminded me of my last de/rebond. Even though I am not nearly as paranoid as when I first got cut in, on my last de/rebond at my stylists, it was a really windy day in NYC, when I left the salon and was walking to the subway all I could think was my piece was lifting and flapping in the wind. Had to keep pushing down my hair thinking it was. Of course it wasn't, I guess just something us wearers will always have in the back of our minds somewhat lol.
01-24-2012, 11:24 PM,
aries...have a read of my post [ #6 on this thread] http://www.forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=4910 regarding positioning..... I know you`re using all-tape, but the procedure is the same....if you `anchor`the system at 2 points first, then bond your perimeter `equally` ...by which I mean don`t do all one-side of the head first...do one strip of tape on the left side, then do the other side [right side]...that will ensure you don`t end up with lace bunched up on one side..... don`t stretch the lace unduly either... try to keep it `even`.... that`s one of the advantages of a poly-strip on the perimeter..it avoids the ability/tendency of lace to `bunch-up`. You`ll manage it with time... it`s a matter of practise.
01-25-2012, 04:23 PM,
Thanks Paul for your tips.

I'll try it for my next de/rebond