Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how beneficial is a knot sealer?
01-12-2012, 10:44 AM,
how beneficial is a knot sealer?
hey guys.. my units havent shed very very much.. but i would say that after about 3 weeks they have gradually shedded slowly to a point where i can see i only have another 3 weeks of great use untill it becomes lower of a density that im looking for.. but still very wearable. if i get a knot sealer will it make a big difference. i dont like the hairline to shed at all. and thats whats happeneing. it slowly sheds. if i could slow the shedding down by maybe half atleast id be very happy. as i only plan on wearing each system for 2 and a half months. 10 weeks for each unit
01-12-2012, 10:46 AM,
RE: how beneficial is a knot sealer?
I use 3m scotch guard and have little or no shedding.
01-12-2012, 12:02 PM,
is that better than the tdi knot sealer? or it just less expensive? whatever works best is what i prefer. ow do i use it and how often?
01-12-2012, 12:29 PM,
(01-12-2012, 12:02 PM)elvis Wrote: is that better than the tdi knot sealer? or it just less expensive? whatever works best is what i prefer. ow do i use it and how often?

I have used the knot sealer debbie sells. On my last piece I used both her knot sealer, and the scotch guard. I usually apply once every couple of months, it costs about $10.
01-14-2012, 09:00 AM,
I been wearing since around 2000, I have never used knot sealer once. So I don't think its really necessary. And I had systems last REALLY long. I got a system that is about 8 years old that i still can wear today .. im not even joking rofl.
01-17-2012, 05:53 AM,
I have been using Debbie's knot sealer on my last four units. This has increased the life from 4 months per unit to 6 months or more per unit.
02-12-2012, 05:52 AM,
Do you usually use Debbie's acrylic knot sealer once or do you need to apply regularly? My stylist says she never uses knot sealer but 7 weeks into wearing I'm shedding like a dog lol, really losing a lot of hair quickly, this piece is already shot and want to try knot sealer on my next one to see if I get longer use out of the new one than I got on this one. Ibetalot- As far as the scotch guard, do you know if I use it did you need knot sealer as well or did just the scotch guard help ? Thanks.
02-12-2012, 07:01 AM,
Depending on the frequency of washing/s, I believe the general wisdom is to re-apply it monthly...... I have always used it on my systems, even if it`s only the once. I admit I haven`t usually applied it to a particular system after the initial application......some guys never use it, with the extra cost involved with Fullcaps, I reckon prevention is better than cure.... anything which possibly/probably prolongs the serviceable life of a system is worth it in my opinion. I`m wearing a system which is 8 months old now and still getting away with it.... I only use that `Enhance` conditioner and an odd-application of Brylcreem when the mood takes me..... shedding occurs from knots becoming undone and / or dryness making the hair brittle and then snapping off........I know many wearers literally plaster-on a myriad of styling products, but I`m not a fan, because they can have ingredients which don`t sit too easily with system hair....growing hair grows out and also, new hairs grow to replace old/damaged hair so any negative effects of ingredients can be overcome naturally whereas system hair is a `sitting duck`--it cannot repair or replace itself and any `damage` is cumulative---it has to take whatever we `throw`at it and has no oils/lubricants of it`s own.....so far my method has stood me in good stead ... I know `products` can really help achieve cool looks/effects, but I honestly feel that heavy use/application can lead to shortening the life of a system---I guess that`s acceptable if a wearer is not too constrained and can easily afford to replace systems more frequently..... it`s a trade-off----just my 2-cents.
02-12-2012, 08:36 AM,
Thanks Paul, as always great points and advice. I'm not sure what happened as far as excessive shedding. All of a sudden bout 2 or so weeks ago hair just started coming out in droves. Whole right side of head pretty much just lace now. I would have to think its from your point on dryness and breaking off. I have not shampooed the hair excessively, usually once a week, I have used a pomade but very infrequently, usually just use a bit of Brylcreem for taming the fly aways and the enhance conditioner. I bought Organix serum to try to combat the dryness which i have only applied once, bought satin pillow cases yet hair became very dry and just started falling out. Figured I would give the knot sealer a shot this go around.
02-12-2012, 09:17 AM,
Sounds like your care -routine is ok Eric...... there are other variables in the mix too of course, such as your local water supply and whatever may be `lurking`in it ...some people use filtered -water when cleaning their system .... another factor can be the actual `batch`of donor-hair.....sometimes you can suffer a heavy-shed abruptly, and your next order you get can last twice the time ! It`s always best to have a stand-by system to hand for such scenarios/emergencies...... I know this is your first time wearing so hopefully your new system arrives imminently and you get a longer-life [non-shedding ]this time...... what you describe seems `odd` and I`m wondering why it`s mainly confined to one side..... I know you said the density was originally not uniform on both sides though--that has probably made the shedding more obvious on the thinner side...... when your new one arrives, avoid Gels and hairsprays [if you have been using them] and just use the Enhance daily---I find no need to shampoo when using it, as there is no product build-up and the hair is not actually `dirty`[greasy/oily] as some growing-hair can be, so why shampoo it ? Just spritz daily with water and use `Enhance`liberally....... I wonder are you using a shampoo formulated for system hair too ? Just try my `routine`for a month/ six weeks, and then see how your system compares/behaves in contrast to this first one.....you`ll then be able to tell if the hair is lasting better in terms of texture and /or shedding. This game can be a bit hit-and-miss even after digesting and memorising every tip in the book..... some `Variables` will always be in the mix and we are all at their mercy...... also, there is a balancing-act in terms of densities, the advantage of a slightly higher density, is that if/when shedding begins, you have more time before it becomes obvious, but for guys of a certain age, ordering a density which is not age-appropriate can draw unwanted `attention`...... I reckon this game is akin to being a tight-rope walker ! Look forward to seeing the pics of your new one cut-in....cheers.