Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
anyone got any advice on how to keep hair soft and not so dry?
01-12-2012, 10:29 AM,
anyone got any advice on how to keep hair soft and not so dry?
i hardly ever use product. i use a leave in conditioner daily. i dont wet the hair often. but the hair gets try. has a hard texture and is not managable. is this one of the drawbacks with hair systems? or is there a way to keep hair atleast somewhat soft and managable. because it is easy to feel my side hair and system hair and tell the difference by touch. are there any products i should get? infact even when i use gel on my hair it feels like the hair just absorbs the gel.. doesnt get te shine and just dries up lol. when i used to put gel my hair would have that wet look.. now when i put gel on system hair the gel has a wet look for like 15 minutes and then goes back to a dry non shiny look. am i doing something wrong

i heard of nearly natural sheen.. has anyone used this? maybe this could help?
01-12-2012, 12:08 PM,
RE: anyone got any advice on how to keep hair soft and not so dry?
I bought a spray from the beauty store called wig shine <
01-12-2012, 12:49 PM,
Same subject also being discussed at:
http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=4950
01-12-2012, 08:23 PM,
elvis.... depending on a few factors, I`ve found how the hair `is ` or feels texture-wise, can vary from one system to another...I guess it depends on different batches of hair and how much processing was done at the factory...... I suppose it`s one of those `variables` as the donors have/had non-standard hair-quality...... I reckon we`re all at the mercy of that `variable`factor to one degree or other and always will be..... my feeling is that different people`s [donated] hair will react differently to whatever level of processing/colouring it`s subjected to, and will `behave`differently once the ``factory -gloss`` wears off after a few washes/wears....... whilst daily spritzing with water and applying a good leave-in conditioner will help maintain some degree of `condition`, I do know what you mean about the hair still sometimes feeling different to your growing hair ...in such cases, I use some Serum. There are many available ..again, different people report different results, depending on the makers`name..... the one I got a long time back [ I haven`t had to use much] is this one but I did hear that the guy who`s name is on the bottle, has passed away, and there was doubt as to whether this would continue to be made ..it was available in convenience stores here but am not sure now as I haven`t looked recently ..I did try Amazon yesterday with no joy..... this is it http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/hair...m-75ml.asp Serums have silicone in them which really helps with the texture issue you have. If you can`t get /find that particular one, try another Serum...the link above is to a UK site..I only posted it so you could see the bottle. Here`s another available from Walmart...can`t tell you anything about it as I `ve not used it...there is one customer-review there regarding it http://www.walmart.com/ip/John-Frieda-Fr...z/10309635 The one I use is applied to dry hair..a little applied to the first finger and thumb and gently pulled through little clumps of hair from the base to the tips....a little time-consuming, but the effect is great.....again--a little goes a long way. Try a serum and see how you get on.
01-17-2012, 05:53 PM,
I use something called "Blue Max" sealer and I've found nothing better. Its a little pricey, but can be found on at least one online hair replacement company...not sure about Toplace though.
01-18-2012, 03:37 PM,
I just bought the Blue Max sealer. It's expensive for the tiny amount you get. How often do you use it? There are plenty of 'serum's' on the market, even at the pharmacy. I wonder if just using these would generate the same result.

As far as hair being dry to the original poster, I think it's something you are just going to have to live with for the most part. It's why I never got more than 6 weeks out of a piece. By then it's too dry and the crown area is tangled and brittle.

Some tips that will help:
1. Only wash the hairpiece once a week. Don't even get it wet in the shower in the morning. To style in the morning just use a spray bottle with some filtered water. Then use your leave in conditioner and style.
2. Get satin sheets and pillows. Cotton wicks moisture from the hair.
3. Get a shower filter if you have hard water.
4. I once used a shampoo and conditioner called Pureology Nanoworks. It was really expensive but it was amazing, I've never found anything that came even close since. You might be able to find it on eBay. That's where I got it before.
01-18-2012, 07:53 PM,
A daily leave-in conditioner can help combat the dryness, but occasionally, hair will still feel a bit brittle/dry....a serum can definitely help. Some are not as good as others though and people report different results [even non-wearers] from what I read. I applied some a few days ago to both systems, and the hair is definitely feeling softer than it was.....it`s most likely the silicone, which also gives a nice level of natural-looking shine. Again, as with most products/treatments with systems, I reckon a little is better than too much.....as with shampooing, you can literally kill your system with kindness !
01-19-2012, 09:22 AM,
Waxworks is what I use along with some water. This softens up the hair, gives it a shine depending on the amount of product used and just seems to bring the hair back to life.
01-19-2012, 01:33 PM,
Xeon, does WW with water cause the hair to be stiff at all while it's on? I've never tried it. Also, do you wear a full cap?
01-20-2012, 02:41 AM,
I just found a solution that works for me. Brylcreem original! My hair was super dry and rough after 6 weeks and with a blob of brylcreem into damp hair and some smoothing action with my hands and the hair is as soft as silk again.