Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want a Full-Cap, Have Some Questions.
08-24-2009, 07:32 PM,
Want a Full-Cap, Have Some Questions.
I don't have any hair loss but have never liked my hair (curly, frizzy, nappy) and consequently shave it.

What's more I like how I look with a shaved head.

That said, I wouldn't mind having hair sometimes.

I want to know exactly what my options are.

I've tried standard wigs on (300 dollar range) and they've looked ridiculous and are incredibly hot to wear.

From what I've gathered on this forum the PSB Thinskin wig sounds appealing; but I have some questions.

1.) Is the PSB ThinSkin hot to wear? Is it ventilated?
2.) Does it require adhesive or does it vacuum to the head?
3.) Can the hair be pushed back in front or are bangs mandatory?
4.) How undetectable is it? I know the hairs are injected into the base rather than knotted. I assume it's not as realistic as lace but what does it look like close-up?
5.) Is the base translucent, flesh-colored, or what exactly?
6.) What else do I need to know??
08-25-2009, 01:37 AM,
Re: Want a Full-Cap, Have Some Questions.
i think your're insane to want a wig when you have no hairloss. just my opinion. i'll let others answer your questions
08-25-2009, 04:06 AM,
I agree NG if you dont have hairloss dont wear, Some do like just to wear for performing on stage,etc

So answers are :

1.) Is the PSB ThinSkin hot to wear? Is it ventilated?

It can get hot, But most say it is ok, For ventilation it can be knotted or injected in the base.

2.) Does it require adhesive or does it vacuum to the head?

You will need to attach it, Preferably with glue

3.) Can the hair be pushed back in front or are bangs mandatory?

You can get it to go back as long as it is ventilated/injected at the correct angle.

4.) How undetectable is it? I know the hairs are injected into the base rather than knotted. I assume it's not as realistic as lace but what does it look like close-up?

See photos of one of my PSB pieces below, I included one of a flatback injected hairline
not as good as lace it will give an idea.

5.) Is the base translucent, flesh-colored, or what exactly?

It gives a white scalp look.

6.) What else do I need to know ??

Some HR company,s are charging nearly $500 and over for a normal size topper, STAY AWAY from them they are thieving lying rogues FACT !

[Image: LaceInjected.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

08-25-2009, 05:04 AM,
if i had no hair loss would i want a wig noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo way
08-25-2009, 06:49 AM,
I agree with the others above. if youre a Norwood 1 with pretty good density then you certainly dont need to wear hair. Buzzed haircuts are in style nowadays anyway. Unless you have a receeding hairline or losing density it makes no sense to spend hundreds of dollars on a fullcap or any piece of that sort. Enjoy your natural hair while you can. Just my opinion.
08-25-2009, 08:13 AM,
Quote:1.) Is the PSB ThinSkin hot to wear? Is it ventilated?

BA: It can get hot, But most say it is ok, For ventilation it can be knotted or injected in the base.

When BA says "ventilation" he means the definition of ventilation as regards to the hair replacement industry (ventilation is the process of 'venting' or attaching the strands of hair onto the base).

When BostonKid asks about ventilation here, I think he's asking, "does air get under it/through it, such as how well is it ventilated (such as in air vents)?". Just to clarify that, I think.

I'm one of the few who wear a system on occasion for performing use. Not really the same thing as what you're asking about, but it's a monofilament base full cap with long hair, and at this time of the year it's really hot to wear even with air holes distributed through it, and I avoid it unless I have to. I would imagine that PSB thinskin would be similar in temperature to monofilament, maybe even worse. My cap isn't even worn that tight against my head as thinskin would be on a shaved head. A day like today in Boston, and you'd probably feel it.

(BostonKid I'm in MA also.)

RD
08-25-2009, 04:22 PM,
If you despise your own hair and shave it off anyway, don't let anyone talk you out of trying a full cap. You already shave....you have nothing to lose.

That said, if you are going to do it, do it right. Order an all lace unit (at least for the first one or two), and attach it tight. Forget about the skin base for now. If you order lace you will have a MUCH more undetectable piece.

I was at a hair convention a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta. It was geared toward the ethnic market, and there was a booth there for a product called "Lace-it" which is like a "starter" kit (maintenance, attachment, removal products) for women who wear lace front wigs.

I started talking to one of the girls working the booth, and she was really nice explaining to me about these things called lace front wigs that women wear. I let her continue for a couple of minutes, then I dropped the bomb. I said "I know....I'm wearing one". Her jaw almost hit the floor. She asked me to turn around. She asked if she could take my picture. She asked if I could stop back by in a few minutes to show her bosses. She was floored.

So yea, you can indeed get a great looking head of hair in place of a nappy/curly/frizzy mess. If you aren't happy with your hair give it a shot. Worst case you are out a few hundred bucks. Best case you feel great about your appearance.
08-26-2009, 06:14 PM,
Jrob, that's the sort of answer I was looking for.

I'm pretty adamant about having a full-cap of hair other than my own.

One issue, though, is the frailty of the wig. All thin lace, I assume, means less wear time.

The gentleman on this board with the attractive wife has a PSB ThinSkin which sounds much easier to deal w/. Further, he cites he gets a year's worth of use out of his unit and says he needs no adhesives.

Could you guys elaborate on how the PSB full-caps work, how they "vacuum" to the head such that adhesives aren't needed.

I'd really like something I can take on and off like a hat, rather than a all-lace wig that needs to be attached via glue/tape, removed and cleaned.

If I get a high-density wig and wear the hair down in the front, do I really need to worry about detectability?