Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some words of encouragement
11-19-2011, 03:31 AM,
Some words of encouragement
I don't post too often, but I usually do read the forums every week or so to stay current in our little hair world.

I wanted to let you all know that I've been wearing my custom front partial for going on 4 months now, with glue. I remove it every 8 days or so. It's def experienced some shedding, I've had my stylist hit it with dye 2 times now (sun fade) and the lace is starting to get tired.. and I feel it's "visible".

Well I know how anal we all get over this stuff. We take pictures with a flash a centimeter away from our heads and zoom in 100% and get all bent out of shape when we see a little lace showing. I was to the point where I was going to switch to my backup unit (it's one step too straight though) and was going to just straighten my hair until my new unit arrived.

I told my cousin about it (he obviously knows that I wear) and he thought I was ridiculous. Without me knowing, he went up to his girlfriend and said, "Take a look at his hair. He just got a new cut, do you like it?" and brought her an inch away from my head. I was TERRIFIED. After what felt like an eternity she said, "It looks fine, but you really oughta do something for your scalp! If I get really close I can see how dry it is" then she touched my hair a little and went inside...

The point is, after 4 months, everyday wear (for an athlete) and a bunch of dye jobs - the piece still works perfectly. The only people that can tell it's a system is someone wearing a system. Be confident if you're as anal as I am - not one person pays as much attention to your system as yourself!
11-19-2011, 07:41 AM,
RE: Some words of encouragement
(11-19-2011, 03:31 AM)JamesJr Wrote: The only people that can tell it's a system is someone wearing a system. Be confident if you're as anal as I am - not one person pays as much attention to your system as yourself!

Excellent post!

The only thing I would change is this sentence "The only people that MIGHT be able to tell it's a system is someone wearing a system." I have met dozens of fellow hairwearers who I would have never suspected were wearing if I wasn't standing face to face with them at a hairpiece convention. Even then some of them I assumed were friends of other people who were attending.

My business partner knows all about this stuff and when I hosted a convention a few years ago several of us hit downtown later that night. The next day he asked me about the guys we went out with. Evidently he thought all of them were the friends or spouses of hairpiece wearers.

Another thing that I always thought was cool was getting together for dinner with several other hairwearers. 6 or 8 guys who wear fake hair sitting in a restaurant eating, and the everyone in the place (including the person waiting on us) is clueless. When you experience things like that it makes you realize how clueless the general public is about modern hair replacement.
11-19-2011, 12:01 PM,
james, what kind of hairstyle do you wear? and is there any problems with lace that lifts? I havent started wearing yet but my fear is that one day il be out and about with my friends and my lace will be lifted and i wont even know or i wont be around my bathroom at home no have glue in my pocket to fix it.. Is this even an issue? Also, im an athlete too.. is this any issue? does the sweat cause any effect? or anything else worth mentioning? and lastly, do u think u can maybe post some pics? thanks for the post btw
11-19-2011, 02:11 PM,
Its not like the lace suddenly 'pops-up' and is unattached. The glue just becomes less tacky and firm so that if you were to pull the front hairs, the lace would start to lift from the scalp and thats one of the reasons people don't like their hair touched!
You would be able to push it down again and it would lay flat. It just wouldn't be as secure as it was when you first attached it.
All you have to do is pull a few hairs forward on to the forehead and the problem is disguised, no matter how close people get.
The best plan is to work out how long (on average) a good attachment you get before the glue starts to break down and always reattach the front a day before it happens.
Using ORWG, you could easily do a reattachment ever 3 days a long the front and at most it would take you 15-20 minutes.
It gives you peace of mind.
11-19-2011, 04:02 PM,
Quick few questions about keeping hair down/on. First off, what is orwg? I ordered a topper with Swiss lace front with French base, free style, that I am eagerly waiting to arrive, now I have been reading the posts on here for over a month now and still not sure what I should start with as far as glue or tape or combination of both. No clue why but think I would like to do all glue. Is that possible or should I glue front and tape top? Thanks guys.
11-19-2011, 04:48 PM,
oil restiant white glue
11-19-2011, 04:53 PM,
People find tape perfect for the back and sides (and some, even for the front) but I've never got on with tape.
My skin is too oily.
Its a shame because the clean up is far easier with tape than with glue.

My units are full Swiss Lace and I use just glue, all over.
I've tried every sort of glue and the only one that works for me is ORWG, which stands for Oil Resistant White Glue.
I find I can get away with 10 days attachment with maybe a couple of frontal retouches, in between.
Most people believe glue is best for lace because the lace needs to sink in to the glue to fully disappear.

I hope this helps.
11-19-2011, 05:44 PM,
Thanks, yes it helps, is ORWG the brand name?
11-19-2011, 09:42 PM,
Just Google it and you`ll find suppliers.. [the full name-not just the letters]
11-20-2011, 05:15 AM,
(11-19-2011, 12:01 PM)elvis Wrote: james, what kind of hairstyle do you wear? and is there any problems with lace that lifts? I havent started wearing yet but my fear is that one day il be out and about with my friends and my lace will be lifted and i wont even know or i wont be around my bathroom at home no have glue in my pocket to fix it.. Is this even an issue? Also, im an athlete too.. is this any issue? does the sweat cause any effect? or anything else worth mentioning? and lastly, do u think u can maybe post some pics? thanks for the post btw

Yo mang,

I'm wearing freestyle and I have curly hair. A lot of the guys covered this, but you won't be walking down the street, drop your wallet on the ground, bend over to pick it up and your hair falls off, haha. It's more or less when people touch it or you touch it. As you sweat it get's less tacky (as said before) and yes sweating def plays a toll and a half. I'm only wearing a front partial, so I usually get some minor lifting in the back areas where my hair is, but you can't see that being I blend the piece into my hair. The main problem is the front. Just check it every morning. Before super important events I just do a full clean up to be more confident. The more you touch the front hairline, the more it lifts btw. The oils from your fingers do a number on any glue.

I'll post some pics in a little. Let me know if you have more questions.

James