Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Noob In NYC area, some ??? for you Pros
10-04-2011, 04:23 AM,
Noob In NYC area, some ??? for you Pros
First let me say I found this site by accident and sooo glad I did. I've been reading all your guys posts and pics non stop all weekend and love this site. Just a little bout me. I am 43 years old and have been losing my hair for 15 plus years and covering it with a baseball cap for all this time. I recently went on vacation with some family and close friends and we went out to a bar. When we got there they told me I had to remove my cap. I was so embarrassed and would not go in and as soon as I got back from vacation decided enough was enough. I cannot tell you how many weddings, friend and family outings etc that I have missed out on in all these years because embarrassed to take off my hat. I still look young with my hat on (still get carded sometimes lol) but 20 years older without it. I am very active in sports and outdoor activities and just sick of this damn baseball cap!

Well after finding this site I have decided to take the plunge and move on with my life without having to hide under a hat. Now the questions for you guys.

1) I am not completely bald, have good sides and back and still a little on top (I will take pictures tonight and post to show) I know tough without picture but not sure if I need a full or partial piece?
2) I am located in the burbs outside of NYC and saw some earlier posts about a salon and woman named DiDi that does the template and cut ins. The posts I read were from 2010 and am wondering if she is still there? Do I have to order from her or can I order from this site? Is there anywhere else in the NYC area that is good and does the template if she no longer around?

I have watched videos on youtube on doing template yourself but since this is my first rather go to a pro. I had more questions but can't remember them all now, so will be back probably with a few more. Again so glad to find this site and hope to finally ditch the hat and move on. Thanks guys!
10-04-2011, 09:38 AM,
RE: Noob In NYC area, some ??? for you Pros
Hi ..welcome to the forum. Hopefully a few wearers in New York can inform you on that particular stylist....Toplace has details of stylists etc. which wearers have used in the past or currently use.... John will probably post the ones for your city when he sees your question...meanwhile, stylists are not in any way affiliated to/with Toplace ,which simply supplies hair systems---wearers source their own stylist.... so you order your system from Toplace. Making a template is easy...you don`t need a `professional`..... Snipe did a handy tutorial series of pics on how to do it.... I looked on his `info links for newbies`thread up top but couldn`t find it just now....hmmm..don`t know why that is.... but I had the link posted on another thread so lifted it and here it is : http://s768.photobucket.com/albums/xx325...1QQtppZZ16 just run the mouse/cursor over each pic for full instructions...there are 2 pages. All you need is to make a representation of the curvature of your head and mark / cut out the area needing coverage.....in your case you only need a topper as your sides/back are ok ..... it`s a good idea to mist the head with water as this helps hold the clear film in place -- it also helps slick down any thin growing hair ..... it`s not necessary to have it accurate to the nearest millimeter....it`s just to show the shape/curve of your head and the actual area to be covered......hope you get the stylist information from guys in New York anyway....regards, Paul.
10-04-2011, 11:04 AM,
Thanks for the info Paul, I saw those pictures yesterday. I just figured if there was a salon in NYC that would do the template I would just rather go there than risk screwing it up myself but will try doing one on my own. I am posting a couple pics I just took and wondering what you guys would recommend I would need to get? Back and sides are cut pretty short but not buzzed and I just took off my cap to take so smooshed down a little. Also what type of piece do most of you guys go with, meaning swiss lace etc. I have read a ton of posts and still little confused on adhesives such as glue vs. tape? Kinda the reason I wanted to go to a salon for everything from start to finish. Lastly do you think I need to get piece with flaps? Like I said been reading but still not sure on a lot of stuff. Thanks again.
10-04-2011, 09:46 PM,
Eric..have a look at this site..it`s easy to re-size pics.....the ones posted are very big....I can see a bit but
smaller pics would be more helpful http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ or alternatively just re-set the camera
by going into `menu` and scroll down to `size` then select the smallest figure..that should sort it for you.
Not being `smart`with you now but the reason wearers go the ` D.I.Y.`route, by ordering from Toplace and other
hair-suppliers, is to cut out the `Salons` and `Hair clubs`[$$$$] Obviously you are free to go that route but have
a deep wallet with you when going !! You said you wanted to go to a salon for `everything from start to finish`...if
you do, you`ll have to order from them and be `tied`to them.... that`s cool if you are prepared to `pay`. You have
a lot of grey in your hair which will mean a system will have a lot of grey in it too which is synthetic.... your sides
and back look strong..... so a topper will fit in fine. You asked about flaps---I can`t see properly due to the pics
being too large...basically you make a template to re-create what you originally had [allowing for a certain amount of natural
age-appropriate recession] so just use your discretion etc. You can always pop the finished item onto your head, take / post
a pic here and you can get some feedback....cheers for now, Paul.
10-05-2011, 04:42 AM,
Paul, first thanks for the info. When I said start to finish what I meant was as far as having a salon make my template and then me ordering from here and then return to them for the cut in. I saw the post of the stylist named Didi in NYC who had done that for someone on here, that's why I was asking if anyone knows if she is still around, the post was from 2010. I know from reading online about the costs and some nightmares associated with "clubs" and definitely do not want to go that route, not poor but can't afford the equivalent of rent or car payment per month for a hair system.

As far as my pics, when I previewed post they looked normal, then when I posted, I was like my God they are poster size lol, I will try your suggestions tonight and re post. You are correct about my having some grey. I usually just for men my back and sides and when hair gets long sideburns every 4-6 weeks (like bald wasn't enough but now grey, sucks), so I would not want my first piece to have grey in it. Is it possible to still use the just for men when I decide on a system? I assume it would be because I would just dye my back and sides when I removed it. Again thanks for your input! That's why I like this site so much, no bs just real truth from guys experienced.
10-05-2011, 05:26 AM,
hi
@ grey question.
If you dont want to have grey in your first piece just colour your own hair and then its no problem.
10-05-2011, 06:11 AM,
Hi Eric..yeah as Ruulkasar said you can just color your growing hair to match the system --- what do
you normally color it to ? I mean what shade.....brown-ish /black? It might be a `balancing-act` at
first but I`m sure after a little while you`ll know exactly how long to leave it in for to get a good match.
At the moment you`re simply concerned with `hiding`grey ...as long as grey is `gone` you`re happy,
but with a system to consider/take account-of, it will add another dimension to things. I`m sure it`ll be
no big deal after a little while though as you are obviously used to using such products. If you are uploading
more pics, you can remove the large ones..... just click the `Edit`button under that post above and then click
on `Full edit`...this will allow you to remove them ...you can then add your new ones. Happened me the first
time I used my digital camera....factory -settings had it on to the maximum capture-size.....looked fine as I
was looking at them on the PC and uploading them.....soon as they were posted they were huge!! You
just need to re-size them of adjust the camera setting before capture. Xeon is in New York..... hopefully he`ll
see your post and can tell you about stylists.....he was quite `busy`on here recently but I haven`t seen any
posts from him in the last 2 weeks..... hope some wearers can let you have some details anyway.The only
thing I can say in defense of `Salons` is that they have costs and overheads , which ultimately the customer
pays for..... but many really `coin`it and play on clients`vulnerabilities. I realise how daunting this D.I.Y. route
can be , but it`s not rocket-science...... plenty tips and hints on this forum.....it`s pretty straightforward----
you just need to psyche yourself up before making the leap..... I can`t remember offhand, of reading anyone
saying they regretted making the leap....yes there can be initial `teething problems/issues` but the 2 main things
to get right are a reasonably good template and a decent cut-in...the rest is perfecting your bond/de-bond routine
along with your hair-care. Regards, Paul.
Found this old [2008] post..not sure if it`s what you are already aware-of: http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?...ist#pid254
10-06-2011, 08:32 AM,
I don't think I have anything helpful to contribute here Eric but I felt for you reading that story - I can relate. I hope to see some pics of you wearing and enjoying yourself in the future Wink
10-06-2011, 11:14 PM,
Didi is still around--she's one of the best in the business. Here's her contact info:

DIDI NIKOLOVA
she's at James Bentley Salon, 533 West 57th street in between 10th and 11th avenue, on the 7th floor. You can walk it from GCT, but itll prob be around 20-30 min, you can hop into a cab for about $10 including tip, or take the train; Walk 0.49 miles (10 minutes) Northwest from GCT to 42ND ST -
BRYANT PARK STATION B line D line F line V line; [email protected] , OR MY CELL. 646-­932-­1108 Former Richard Farrell hair sytlist

Send physical orders to Didi at:

JAMES BENTLEY SALON
ATTN: DIDI
521 W. 57TH. ST.
NEW YORK CITY NY 10019

http://www.hairnaturallyperfect.com/ 1936 HARMAN ST. RIDGEWOOD NY 11385
10-06-2011, 11:43 PM,
Thanks so much for the info! Going to give her a call.