Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What's the best density for a full cap?
08-18-2011, 03:01 PM,
What's the best density for a full cap?
I used to order toppers from Toplace a few years back so I have somewhat of an idea of what the densities look like and how they should match your side hair. But I'm getting ready to order my first full cap from Toplace and, since matching my sides is no longer an issue, I'd like to know what people think the best density is for a full cap? I've ordered before from a different company and wasn't happy with the results. Too high of a density makes it look poofy and wiggy. Too low of a density can be just as bad, making you look like your thinning all over, and not the typical male pattern baldness look. So I'm curious, what do Toplace customers think is most natural looking density for full caps?
08-18-2011, 11:27 PM,
RE: What's the best density for a full cap?
I didn't get mine from TopLace, but I think my first one was 80% but it felt like 120%. It was way too thick, and I cut it short and it looked even worse.

Then I think got a 45% but that was way too thin. Then I got a 60% which was far more realistic.

I'd say between 60-70% is just about right for me. And I'm mid 30s. Smile

But what real hair I have left is like a grandfather's hair. Not good.
08-19-2011, 11:07 AM,
Thanks, Justin, for replying. I was actually thinking of going with 75%. Does anyone think this is too much? Shedding is also an issue I've had in the past, so I don't want it looking too thin too soon.
08-19-2011, 12:44 PM,
(08-19-2011, 11:07 AM)egghead Wrote: Thanks, Justin, for replying. I was actually thinking of going with 75%. Does anyone think this is too much? Shedding is also an issue I've had in the past, so I don't want it looking too thin too soon.

You want to avoid the wig look, so I'd stay around 70%, possibly just slightly lower.

Up to you, friend.
08-19-2011, 07:17 PM,
The Toplace densities are generally a bit higher than what you may be used to. As a guide, medium to heavy is 70-75% [75% on a Toplace system is approx. 100 % on ``other`` system-providers] so , as Justin Tyme was saying, around 70% or possibly a few percent below, would/should be fine.....you can specify varying percentages for different areas on your system as you know. In relation to shedding.....thankfully I`ve never had this issue with any Toplace systems but whether that`s just because of better-quality of hair/manufacture OR care-routine, I`m not sure [ probably a combination of both]. I`m not a fan of frequent washings..there`s no need as your hair should not be `dirty` as such, unless you work in a dusty environment such as a construction site etc.Whenever you ARE washing, use shampoo and conditioner designed for system hair as they are sulfate-free.I AM a big fan of misting with water and using a good leave-in conditioner frequently. Also, using knot-sealer to seal/`lock`the knots helps prevent them becoming undone and hair falling out.....some wearers don`t use it, I always do.....but that`s just me. Have a look at this thread by JamesJr :
http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=4489 I`ve been using this product for a while now...... some people have said it`s not sulfate-free etc. but I haven`t noticed any negative effects so far. My more usual one is `Enhance` leave-in conditioner, which also has UV-blocker in it. Available in USA here : http://www.hairdirect.com/store/Ppi-Enha...4Qodvg8mVg and for those in Europe/UK area here : http://www.hair-development.com/details_...ductID=116
I guess the density of your system should/will be governed by your age.... I think the trick for every wearer is to keep it as `age-appropriate` as you can. Paul.
08-19-2011, 09:12 PM,
(08-19-2011, 07:17 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: The Toplace densities are generally a bit higher than what you may be used to. As a guide, medium to heavy is 70-75% [75% on a Toplace system is approx. 100 % on ``other`` system-providers] so , as Justin Tyme was saying, around 70% or possibly a few percent below, would/should be fine.....you can specify varying percentages for different areas on your system as you know. In relation to shedding.....thankfully I`ve never had this issue with any Toplace systems but whether that`s just because of better-quality of hair/manufacture OR care-routine, I`m not sure [ probably a combination of both]. I`m not a fan of frequent washings..there`s no need as your hair should not be `dirty` as such, unless you work in a dusty environment such as a construction site etc.Whenever you ARE washing, use shampoo and conditioner designed for system hair as they are sulfate-free.I AM a big fan of misting with water and using a good leave-in conditioner frequently. Also, using knot-sealer to seal/`lock`the knots helps prevent them becoming undone and hair falling out.....some wearers don`t use it, I always do.....but that`s just me. Have a look at this thread by JamesJr :
http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=4489 I`ve been using this product for a while now...... some people have said it`s not sulfate-free etc. but I haven`t noticed any negative effects so far. My more usual one is `Enhance` leave-in conditioner, which also has UV-blocker in it. Available in USA here : http://www.hairdirect.com/store/Ppi-Enha...4Qodvg8mVg and for those in Europe/UK area here : http://www.hair-development.com/details_...ductID=116
I guess the density of your system should/will be governed by your age.... I think the trick for every wearer is to keep it as `age-appropriate` as you can. Paul.

Great reply, Paul. Smile
08-24-2011, 05:59 PM,
Try going with 70% in the back and slightly lower on the sides and top. That seemed to hit the mark for me.