Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Designing the correct volume in a full cap
07-16-2011, 04:55 PM,
Designing the correct volume in a full cap
Dears, I am finally ready to buy my fullcap system and so would like to ask you some suggestions to achieve the design I am looking for. Here, I send you a photo of a very example of what I need.

Mainly, I am facing the following doubts:

1) which density I should go (I was thinking about 80%);

2) which curling level (maybe 25mm?);

3) if TL 100 Swiss Lace would handle the job, as I'd like trying that base;

4) if I can plan to use liquid glue + the adhesive at nape / behind ears / very top with that somewhat havy-hair combination.

5) would it be possible to achieve that kind of volume at front without using gels or such products? I mean, just with the right ventilation and a high density? (I though about the "center crown style" for the whole piece, but don't know if should specify any style for having that front)

Any piece of advice here will be much apreciated, guys. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Image(s)

07-17-2011, 03:04 AM,
RE: Designing the correct volume in a full cap
Hi andAstro.... Swiss would be a bit too light / not robust enough to carry a high/er density ....French lace is generally used for fullcaps [especially your first one] ... it`s possible to have a Swiss lace front if you were intending to wear a more exposed front hairline but with the style in that picture, Swiss-front would not be required. You can have a look at JRob`s fullcap site and read his e-book.....his new DVD is also available there.....link here-- http://www.hairjive.com/store/ --- plenty information there. I think your choice of wave is correct...medium wave. 80% density would be a bit too high I feel ...it will be very thick and physically heavy on your head particularly if you are wearing the hair relatively long as in the picture....would also feel `hot`in warm weather as it will trap heat ...as you know, we lose body-heat very easily through/from our heads, hence why many bald/er people wear hats/ caps in cold weather ..i.e. to conserve body-heat, so a high-density system can get uncomfortable in hot weather, as it traps body-heat. I appreciate that you want a higher density than medium, but don`t go too heavy ...it`s a big temptation to order a high density... if you are fairly young [under 40 yrs let`s say] you can easily wear a higher density ...from that age upwards, lesser densities look/are more natural.Toplace densities are higher than `others`--- An 80% Toplace density is equivalent to 105% on `other` makers systems.... in answer to your question [5] above ...you can have a `fuller` front by ordering non-graduated front....John will advise you anyway when you order and before he actually sends your template off.....usually systems are made with a graduated front [thinner rising to thicker as you go back from the front] ..if a wearer wants non-graduated that will be done too. Just make a nice template and submit that picture with your order and John will advise you on the most suitable density to help achieve the look you want. The choice of what products to use for your bonding is entirely a personal choice..... I`d order a little `selection` [ 2 or 3 different strengths of tape and the same with glues] as you often have to experiment until you find one/s which suit your own body-chemistry best.``Got2b`` glued is very easy to apply/clean off for the main part of your bond..not brilliant at the actual perimeter but you can use normal glue and/or tapes there.I prefer to just use a bit of `hold`at the perimeter and use nothing on the rest of the scalp so the skin can breath/cool off through the lace..... if I wanted an all-over hold, I`d secure 90% of it with `got2b`and tape/or glue on the perimeter....again it`s a matter of personal choice----- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Got-Glued-Spikin...B000TG630Q Also order a bottle of Knot-sealer to help prevent shedding..... only apply it after maybe 2 or 3 weeks into wearing after your system has `settled in` ...... one bottle is enough to treat 4 fullcaps so go VERY sparingly with it....it should not be applied heavily or it will seep through the lace onto the hair and give you a major headache.....have a look at the ``Info links for newbies`` at the top of the page there which Snipe put together ...there is a tutorial there on applying knot-sealer. Hope that helps and best wishes... Paul.
08-13-2011, 02:58 PM,
You might want to go easy on the density for your first unit. Even 75% would be a ton of hair. I would probably lean toward 70% and add more on your next order if that isn't enough hair for you.

Will you have to use styling products to achieve a style like that? That might depend on the condition of the unit. With hairpieces there is a "sweet spot" where the hair has broken in to the point that the hair "flows" well where it will look better and hold a style easily. Before and after that time I would highly recommend using a little styling product to help achieve the look you want. A little pomade or a light wax will help to hold the hair in place and give it a healthy look without making the hair crunchy.
08-15-2011, 01:46 AM,
AndAstro, the hairstyle photo you've attached is very easy to replicate with a full cap. Smile
08-15-2011, 05:05 AM,
That is also the style I want!, Wouldn't it be too hot even with lace?
08-15-2011, 06:16 AM,
(08-15-2011, 05:05 AM)younggun Wrote: That is also the style I want!, Wouldn't it be too hot even with lace?

I suppose it might, but then again it all depends what your country's climate is like. I suppose you wouldn't have any problems in an English Winter.

It's a long, long time since I had my own hair that thick, so I can't remember if having all that natural hair would be hot too.

Sorry I can't help.
08-15-2011, 06:20 AM,
Yea, those longer styles are super easy to pull off with a full cap. Thinking about going that direction myself in the near future.

(08-15-2011, 05:05 AM)younggun Wrote: That is also the style I want!, Wouldn't it be too hot even with lace?

It won't be much hotter than if it were your own hair.
08-15-2011, 08:19 AM,
Thanks JRob, I've been trying to make my template with your video in front of me, but I couldn't get rid of some bumps that appeared by mixing to pieces of plastic wrap.

Anyways... tomorrow morning I'll do it carefully and I'll send my order!

Also, I ve noticed that I have more hair in the back than I thought.. anyways, I wanna go fullcap basically for the possibilty of going bald in a trip or so, that's the main advantage I see,

Thanks to this forum and to JROB
08-15-2011, 10:58 AM,
(08-15-2011, 08:19 AM)younggun Wrote: Thanks JRob, I've been trying to make my template with your video in front of me, but I couldn't get rid of some bumps that appeared by mixing to pieces of plastic wrap.

Anyways... tomorrow morning I'll do it carefully and I'll send my order!

Also, I ve noticed that I have more hair in the back than I thought.. anyways, I wanna go fullcap basically for the possibilty of going bald in a trip or so, that's the main advantage I see,

Thanks to this forum and to JROB

Hey no problem.

Yes, that is a BIG advantage to wearing a full cap. You can have hair one minute and rock the shaved look the next. Great for those times when you just don't have the time or the motivation to deal with maintaining your hair.

Oh yea, and don't be too concerned about getting the template perfectly flat. I send mine out with small crinkles and bubbles and I never have any problems. As long as it fits your head and shows the factory where to make the edges it should work fine.
08-15-2011, 01:53 PM,
Oh I see.. so I hasn't got to be PERFECT right?, cool, thanks!, Also, As I have a long and thing head, the look that fits me best is the 80's med-curly look. For that, it would be best to order freestyle right?.

Regards guys