Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions and pictures
02-21-2011, 09:39 PM,
Questions and pictures
I attached links to some pictures of my hair to give a better outlook on the matter.

Looking at them, some might think it is too early to make the switch but I am not sure it is due to two major factors:

1. Concealer works only at the crown and is messy so any physical contact is risky, at best. Besides it puts restrictions on clothing and bed linen. I used to be able to minimise it by wearing concealer two days in a row, which made it shed very little the second day, but recently I noticed I don’t get that good coverage the next day anymore and so have to replenish, and that’s about 10-15min time wasted each morning.

2. Hairline - it is about 2cm too high and with my facial features it is a disadvantage.

Now, onto specific questions:

Sample size

I was told sample size should be 3cm long and at thickness of a pencil. This is a lot for someone with relatively short hair. Even if I am able to gather pencile-thick sample, it won’t be 3cm long because I don’t want to make my crown thinner than it already is.
On the other hand, I suppose it is somewhat important to get the sample large enough because of my a-typical blond shade. What size is good enough, then?

Template

As you can see, my crown needs replacing. If I understand correctly, having a partial has no advantages over a topper, at the same time being more difficult to match, more work at applying and when off, you look worse than with shaved top. That’s why I’m thinking of full top unit (not full cap, but like the guy in the logo here). The question is - how far back beyond the crown should I go and how wide should I shave?

Density

Being blond and fair, my hair is fine but dense. What density should I go for so that overall there is no transparency at all, and in the crown area, the visible scalp is restricted to at the very most that this (preferably LESS): http://img51.imageshack.us/i/7nondirectdaylight.jpg/ )
As you can see, this is pretty much what I am achieving now with concealer on crown and I’d like to keep it this way

Also - is denser unit less detectable to touch?

Graduation

I want a non-graduated hairline. Even now sometimes I am not sold alcohol if I can't produce an ID so I'd like to keep things as dense as realism allows. Particularly so because I always had thick hair and I still do at the back, sides, and partially in front.

Colour

Judging from the pictures in various light conditions (incandescent light, overcast daylight and bright daylight) what do you think my hair colour is in terms of TopLace colour numbering? Do you think it would be difficult to reproduce by the factory?

If after some time of getting the unit I decide to put on some highlights of slightly lighter blond than my own, can this be done, or do I have to think about it before ordering?

Base

I was thinking about French lace but reading through here I found Swiss is less detectable to touch and feel, as well as to your own scalp skin awareness. Is Swiss significantly less durable and prone to damage? I plan on reaplication of every 7 days and quick showering every 1 - 2 days. Hairstyle combed forward with hairline exposed only partially but I’d like it to look natural when I run my fingers through the hair or when wind reverses my hairstyle (I live in a pretty windy place).

Bond

What kind of bonding agent should I choose as a beginner? Which one is less detectable to touch? What is easier to maintain? What holds the longest? I understand there probably is none being best in all categories, but taking all factors into consideration, what would be your choice?

Any input will be appreciated.

------

Pics with concealer (1-2 months old, for colour/density estimation):
http://img576.imageshack.us/g/2temple.jpg/

Pics without concealer (2-3 years old, today situation is a bit worse, crown in particular):
http://img88.imageshack.us/g/1crown.jpg/

Recent wet pictures:
http://img132.imageshack.us/g/wet1n.jpg/

------

The style I am aiming at is a mix of this:
http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/galle...58x837.jpg

and that:
http://weblogs.cw11.com/news/local/morni...n1002a.jpg

with sides more like in the last one as mine are a bit too uncontrollable when long.
02-22-2011, 06:09 AM,
RE: Questions and pictures
Have you tried using different types of concealers? Some are more messy than others.
02-22-2011, 06:34 AM,
By messy I mean it leaves marks when touched, especially if used a lot.
But that's beside the point. Let's not talk concealers here.
02-22-2011, 07:10 AM,
Hi Val... can you post a pic without any concealer ? I totally honestly would KILL to have that amount of hair....I know concealers can be messy [ I used them before] but in the early stages of hair loss, they are your first line of defence... you may be `jumping`too early really..... I`d like to see your hair when it`s just been washed and no concealers in it..... if one of those pics is you without concealer on--well you definitely DON`T need to wear just yet.. Paul.
02-22-2011, 09:51 AM,
Yeah I agree with Paul. It really is hard to get a sense of your hair loss. You need to take pictures without the concealer, because most people are gonna say don't get a hair system looking at those. And to understand if you should get a small partial or a regular topper would depend on your hair density and how easy you think it would be to blend in a hair system with your own hair. If most of your hair is really thick, I would probably opt for getting a small crown system, If you think your hair is too thin with concealers and it would be easier for a topper than go that route. U should make the system up to the point of your thickest hair if you are going for a topper. right where u would comb your hair DOWNWARDS in the back of your head is where the piece should end. No point of using up ur thick back hair if not needed.

I think u should send us a pic of ur balding first, than people could get to other questions .. cause depending on what kind of unit you have might depend on the adhesives people would recommend etc.

about the color, you just send in a hair sample, they should be able to match any color.

as far as detectability to the touch. Super fine swiss or a skin system properly attached could be good. If you had a small crown system lets say and u got a skin system for that and it was totally bonded tight to the skin, I would say it would be pretty undetectable to the touch, but it has to be bonded right with no gaps so u can feel the edge.

I honestly never sent in a sample as thick as a pencil. Where your hair is thick before you get your next hair cut, cut from that area. I am sure your hair color is roughly the same on your head no? especially in the back is where your gonna be blending into the piece anyway. I think even half a pencil thickness and an inch long SHOULD be fine but let john answer that.
02-24-2011, 07:04 PM,
Damn the notification system on this forum.
Somehow, the crown picture without the concealer didn't make it through during upload. I will re-upload it later today. I can see how looking at those pictures you get the 'WTF' idea, but these are about 1-2 month old and I feel now it is more difficult to do the crown properly.
Also, as I mentioned, crown is not the only concern to me. My hairline is too high and because of my facial features it is more disadvantageous then in an average Joe.

I will update the pictures later today.
02-24-2011, 09:36 PM,
regarding the concealer,only way to really stop it moving is to use fixing spray(regular hairspray.)
if like me you youre hairstyle at the front dosent get messed up,then you could apply the concealer, then hairspray, and leave in place for weeks, i used to do that, that was my routine.i'd sytle my bed hair at the back and sides messed up through sleeping,but leave the front fixed in place.(and youre balancing scalp health with conveniance tradeoff)
and it saves you a fortune on concealer,
im now a hair wearer, 4 months into the game, no regrets.
but if youve got density then utilise concealer thats what it was developed for,
try (nano fibers ,nanogen)only kitt i ever used.
hell anyone would see it as a chore applying everyday.
not to mention the mess and clean up, but application every few weeks,
and really you dont need to be washing youre hair every week,ofcourse thats personal choice.
but you'll save time and money and stress if you can do with leaving the concealer on for a week,(ps been there done that )
sure know what youre going through
antySmile
02-25-2011, 08:47 AM,
(02-22-2011, 07:10 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: I totally honestly would KILL to have that amount of hair....I know concealers can be messy [ I used them before] but in the early stages of hair loss, they are your first line of defence... you may be `jumping`too early really..... I`d like to see your hair when it`s just been washed and no concealers in it..... if one of those pics is you without concealer on--well you definitely DON`T need to wear just yet..
Looking at my crown pics I would too kill for such hair. Unfortunately, it is with the concealer on. Concealer did wonders for me in 2009 and I could wear it even when speeding on a bicycle downhill with strong wind in my hair for tens of minutes. And that all without hair spray. It also did not even leave marks on light beddings. However, it is a different story now. I use more of it and it feels like the quality went down, too, as it sheds much more. I always used HSR. I just added wet hair pictures.

Antywanty
I go nutts if I don’t wash my hair for longer than two days. I could go a week when I was 12 but not now. Besides, I am still using minox so I have no choice.
Anyway, this is not a concealer thread so let’s get back to the subject.

(02-22-2011, 09:51 AM)Xeon005 Wrote: U should make the system up to the point of your thickest hair if you are going for a topper. right where u would comb your hair DOWNWARDS in the back of your head is where the piece should end. No point of using up ur thick back hair if not needed.
I am not so sure about that. I feel it should go beyond the center point of the crown where hair go in different directions. This is largely where balding area starts in my case.

As for the base, I don’t want to go with the skin as, if I understand correctly, it is an outdated tech, and not breathable, right? How big is the detectability difference between Swiss and French?
02-25-2011, 10:56 AM,
(02-25-2011, 08:47 AM)Val Wrote:
(02-22-2011, 07:10 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: I totally honestly would KILL to have that amount of hair....I know concealers can be messy [ I used them before] but in the early stages of hair loss, they are your first line of defence... you may be `jumping`too early really..... I`d like to see your hair when it`s just been washed and no concealers in it..... if one of those pics is you without concealer on--well you definitely DON`T need to wear just yet..
Looking at my crown pics I would too kill for such hair. Unfortunately, it is with the concealer on. Concealer did wonders for me in 2009 and I could wear it even when speeding on a bicycle downhill with strong wind in my hair for tens of minutes. And that all without hair spray. It also did not even leave marks on light beddings. However, it is a different story now. I use more of it and it feels like the quality went down, too, as it sheds much more. I always used HSR. I just added wet hair pictures.

Antywanty
I go nutts if I don’t wash my hair for longer than two days. I could go a week when I was 12 but not now. Besides, I am still using minox so I have no choice.
Anyway, this is not a concealer thread so let’s get back to the subject.

(02-22-2011, 09:51 AM)Xeon005 Wrote: U should make the system up to the point of your thickest hair if you are going for a topper. right where u would comb your hair DOWNWARDS in the back of your head is where the piece should end. No point of using up ur thick back hair if not needed.
I am not so sure about that. I feel it should go beyond the center point of the crown where hair go in different directions. This is largely where balding area starts in my case.

As for the base, I don’t want to go with the skin as, if I understand correctly, it is an outdated tech, and not breathable, right? How big is the detectability difference between Swiss and French?

u do have some decent coverage at the front even on the wet pictures.
For now I recommend a small piece for the crown to get you going.
U could de/re every 2 weeks no problem.
Attach with adhesive (ghost bond). The piece would be the size of 4 quarters layed out. You would have to shave there to make solid attachment.
In a year or 2 you could go to a full topper when the front sheds more.

Good luck
02-25-2011, 11:25 AM,
Skin is not outdated technology. They actually can work very well. Its just another option, especially for such a small area if you are just getting a small system for your crown area.

U have 3 options basically. continue to use concealers and try diff non messy brands .. I recommend prothik. You could get 1 or 2 partial hair systems .. one for your crown and either a small partial for your front hairline to bring it down completely Or two temple area partials. Or you could just shave it all off on top and get a regular type of hair system.

I mean are you happy with the look after concealers? cause wearing a hair system isn't maintenance free, Instead of cleaning concealer of your head u would be cleaning glue, or tape, u know, it has its own type of maintenance.

Your forehead looks a little high, I think you could bring it down more than 2cm. Maybe you should think about getting two partials or just get one unit and cut it the piece off of it you need from a template or something.

It really is hard to give advice cause its such a personal kind of decision.