Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
--- Cutting in hairpiece question
02-16-2011, 01:22 AM,
--- Cutting in hairpiece question
I read when cutting in a new piece to move up a inch from the base and cut with 44/20 thinning shears, 10%. Then move up another one inch and thin again 10% and then a few times on the end of the hair.

1. "Roughly speaking" would 10% be "about" one cut?

2. If you order a very lite piece where the base show through the hair, do you still do the same thinning procedure? If no, how would you thin it, just on the very ends?

Thank you,

Jimmy
02-16-2011, 01:33 AM,
RE: --- Cutting in hairpiece question
Hi Seven.. I`m not sure where you read that but [ not being smart with you] there`s a difference between `thinning`and cutting..... I`d be very loathe to thin any system ...you order it with the required density, and that should be `wearable`from the off.....cutting/trimming the hair to the required length is really all that should be done / need to be done by your stylist. That`s just my 2 -cents worth .... others may have a different `take`on it...regards, Paul.
02-16-2011, 02:21 PM,
Thank you Paul, for the input. I appreciate your point of view.

On a healthy head of hair, the hair will be either in the anagen, catagen and telogen phases. Healthy hair should be about 80% anagen and 10% - 20% in the catagen and telogen stage, that is the resting or falling out stage with the anagen being the growing stage. With the average life stand of the hair being 2-6 years.

So even after a fresh precision hair cut the hair with not all be the same length because of the three phrases they go through. Thus to imitate a healthy head of growing hair we want the hairs to be "staggered." The hair on a virgin hair piece are not "staggered" so it doesn't look as natural as a healthy growing head of hair.

So now you know the reason for some thinning shear work, to emulate the way natural healthy hair grows, which of course it not having the hairs all the same length as an uncut hair piece comes.

Best regards,

Jimmy
02-16-2011, 09:11 PM,
Hi Jimmy.. interesting info there and I appreciate what you describe there with the stages the hairs go through.... I understand what you want to emulate .. I`d still be wary of thinning..it`s easy to get `carried away` .. lol! Best regards, Paul.
02-17-2011, 09:02 AM,
I really don't want to sound disrespectful of your thought process but maybe you are thinking too much?
No one measures or cares that much about how long your individual hair lengths are!
If you have matched your density and colour and have a good cut/blend then does it really matter?
Sometimes in life we can over think things when we should keep it as simple as possable.