Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
...time to set the record straight about Gary Cross (BA)
09-21-2011, 05:11 PM,
RE: ...time to set the record straight about Gary Cross (BA)
I'm afraid I don't hold with the notion that its their own faults for not taking adequate precautions.
Nor do I don't think it was a matter of BA letting anything slip.
It was done by someone quite determined to unearth information by using both this, Toplace, & BA's forum.

People had been remiss & relaxed about hiding their identity over the years and also let bits of information slip here & there that could be pieced together.
But the point is, no matter how tightly people guarded themselves, it would always be possible for someone breach that security.
No one else should get the blame but the person who did it.
The real question is why anyone would want to do it?

If I told you Baldrich, that I found out where you work, what your full name is, who your work colleagues are and have seen a picture of you from your company's website, would you accept ANY responsibility if I then turned around and published that information?
Because the truth is I found all that information about you (Baldrich), from one single, distant post you made, several years ago.
From that, and comments contained in your subsequent posts, it took 5 minutes to find out everything else about you.

I should explain that I was going back, looking at the threads that contained the pictures used in the offending blog, and seeing who also regularly posted in those threads or commented on the photos at the time.
That is when I came across your post.

I was doing an investigation on behalf of one of the people mentioned in the blog and had been supplied with the ISP address of the person who later claimed to be the blogger.
Everything I found out, along with information provided from the blogger's website, was passed on to the person I was doing the research for and I've not kept any record of it.
My point is, it takes time and determination to do something like this but not a great deal of skill.

My motivation was an honest one. The blogger's wasn't. It was twisted and malicious. Therefore no one should be held responsible but the culprit.
Just as you (Baldrich) can't be blamed, simply because you made a single oversight, a few years ago.
By your own admissions, you go to great lengths to maintain your privacy and yet you could have just as easily been one of the victims.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ...time to set the record straight about Gary Cross (BA) - Hersute - 09-21-2011, 05:11 PM