Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing Tear in Polyskin Base
10-28-2010, 04:00 PM,
Fixing Tear in Polyskin Base
I have a slight tear (quarter inch) in the front of my polyskin base and would appreciate suggestions on how to fix it. Thanks in advance.
10-28-2010, 06:49 PM,
RE: Fixing Tear in Polyskin Base
Hi potomoc. I could be wrong, but in my experience once it tears, there is no real way to `repair`it as such...the only suggestion I could offer would be to use a strip of strong tape to hold it...a bit like a plaster. Leave the backing bit on it ...is it right to the edge of the perimeter? I assume it is.... I used to wear all -polyurethane systems....the newer `skin`systems I guess, are more or less the same. Is your system new ? Exposure to the acid in sweat over time usually causes that issue but would be unusual in a new-ish one. Mine never tore as such, but would get little `pin-holes` which would eventually get bigger.A strip of tape will help keep it stay the size it is....... Paul.
10-31-2010, 07:24 AM,
(10-28-2010, 06:49 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi potomoc. I could be wrong, but in my experience once it tears, there is no real way to `repair`it as such...the only suggestion I could offer would be to use a strip of strong tape to hold it...a bit like a plaster. Leave the backing bit on it ...is it right to the edge of the perimeter? I assume it is.... I used to wear all -polyurethane systems....the newer `skin`systems I guess, are more or less the same. Is your system new ? Exposure to the acid in sweat over time usually causes that issue but would be unusual in a new-ish one. Mine never tore as such, but would get little `pin-holes` which would eventually get bigger.A strip of tape will help keep it stay the size it is....... Paul.
Thanks Paul. Yes, my system is new, about 3 weeks. The tear is about a half inch from the edge of the perimeter. I will use a thin strip of duct tape to prevent the tear from spreading.
10-31-2010, 08:17 AM,
How did it happen ? Were you rough with it or is it just so `light` that it tears easily? I suppose if you have no proper system tape, Duct tape might help.......as far as I remember too, I was told before, that SMALL holes and tears in Poly can be stopped from spreading by dabbing on nail varnish [you might get some `odd`looks if you go into a shop to buy it though .....``Which colour would Sir like``?..``Oh, I`m not fussy really `` -- LOL ! ] I can`t swear to that as I`ve never tried it and it probably wouldn`t be any use if the tear was right to the edge of the perimeter ( you said it isn`t ).... the newer `skin`systems might not cope too well with it as they are quite thin. Let us know how it goes anyway...be interesting to know ..cheers for now, Paul.
10-31-2010, 03:07 PM,
Depending on how big the tear is, you probably can just use some hairpiece tape to fill in the gap. Depending on where the tear is and if its on the hairline that is exposed, you should be okay.

Just be careful when you take off your piece you don't pull really hard at that region so you don't further tear the area.
10-31-2010, 09:25 PM,
As JamesKennedy said, be gentle on that area when removing the system in case it worsens it.If you have no proper hair system tapes, I suppose duct tape might `` get you out of a hole`` .. but I`d order a roll or two immediately from Debbie....only takes a few days to be delivered. You could explain to her what you need if for and she`d advise on the best one for the situation...I`m not familiar with the new `skin`systems never having worn one, so not too sure of how `delicate`they are compared to `normal`Poly...... her e mail is on her site. On the `how to order` page here...option 3 there has the link to her site....hope that helps. Paul.
11-17-2010, 05:49 PM,
Thanks for your suggestions, Paul and James. I talked to my stylist in Chicago and she suggested Transpoe tape which is made by 3M. Transpoe tape is used in surgery and sticks one way onto the skin. I bought it at my local drugstore for $5. Works great! The tear has been stopped in its tracks.
11-17-2010, 08:41 PM,
talking of Damage to hair systems.
my hairdresser told me yesterday a young ladd, customer,rang her up and seid he had touched up the front of his hair system with "superglue". can you beleive it.
i asked well why didnt he look on the internet, it happened on a sat after she closed.
i dunno some people.
11-17-2010, 09:06 PM,
mmm.I`d say he`d get a good 6 -months out of that particular bond !!!! :-)
[ Helpful hint/ warning ----- ``Do not try this at home `` !!! ] ;-) Paul.
11-18-2010, 02:58 AM,
Just came up against a new problem.
Which affects bonding.seasoned wearers will know about this
I use white glue.got my new skin system Tuesday.
One of the reasons I hate going to the salon is.
Comming away with a mess on my
Head I like my.hair styled my way .my look.you know what I mean
Anyway new system.hair being the way new system hair is
Bouncy unruly,i decided on wed morn to remove it
As I'd had enough of the stuborn unruly.mop
So I washed my 5 week old worn in system
And bonded it.to my suprise the front would not. Bond
Kept lifting,my front scalp is very red and moist with plasma released by the body
Defence mechanism.and its painfull.spraying the alchol on my scalp
Causes pain.
Rang my hairdresser.she mentioned the above plasma reaction
And seid wait as long as you can. Until it dries ,before attempting another bond.
I'll say one thing glues bloody messy stuff
Never tried tape.
Written on my HTC hero
##########$$$$#############################