Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
65%????????
09-27-2010, 04:34 AM,
65%????????
If I order a 65% density piece and it turns out to be too muck hair, can I just make it "lighter" using thining shears???????????
09-27-2010, 05:52 AM,
RE: 65%????????
That is possible yes --don`t over-do it though. I tend to leave the system `settle`in for a week or two, and then I go back to the stylist for a little light adjustment if it`s to the actual cut, or if it`s just a little bit of a nip-in here and there, I do it myself. Obviously , once it`s cut or thinned , there`s no going back as it will not re -grow, so go easy. Paul.
09-27-2010, 06:11 AM,
(09-27-2010, 04:34 AM)Mr.Hair Wrote: If I order a 65% density piece and it turns out to be too muck hair, can I just make it "lighter" using thining shears???????????

Actually using thinning shears isn't really recommended to thin out a unit. For blending the sides and back, yes, however not for thinning it out.
Using thinning shears to thin it leaves short little stubbles, especially on the hair around the crown and such where there is usually two or even three hairs per knot.

Best is to send it back for hair removal or pull the hairs yourself (tedious, but do able).

I know a lot of people here bark "65%" whenever anyone ask what density to order, however 65% is really pretty darn dense, as you've seen. The factory that John uses, uses the "heavy scale" for densities. Some other companies use the "light scale".

Smile
Fred
09-27-2010, 07:49 AM,
Thinning shears are best used to blend hair rather than thin density. 65% means different things to different suppliers. I believe the last time I ordered from TP in the spring that I used terms like medium light, light, etc. rather than percentages in my order, and all was well. Other suppliers such as HairDirect and Coolpiece use terms instead of percentages now, and it may be the new standard used now. Check with your intended supplier.
09-27-2010, 08:43 AM,
I think JRob had a post on a while back on this subject, and recommended un-doing some of the knots/ pulling the hair with a tweezers, -and I would think that would be damn tedious. Probably best not to use a thinning scissors too much on the crown area, but as Fred said, OK for blending in -- I have used one generally to thin out my last system --didn`t really present any noticeable issues for me --just tread carefully. 65% IS a pretty high density -- perhaps 55 -60 % would be more realistic as you`re `` somewhere in the middle`` ---will allow for more scalp show -through, and if you still feel the density is on the high side, you can do a more gentle thinning --Paul.
09-27-2010, 08:46 AM,
(09-27-2010, 07:49 AM)mcnash Wrote: Thinning shears are best used to blend hair rather than thin density. 65% means different things to different suppliers. I believe the last time I ordered from TP in the spring that I used terms like medium light, light, etc. rather than percentages in my order, and all was well. Other suppliers such as HairDirect and Coolpiece use terms instead of percentages now, and it may be the new standard used now. Check with your intended supplier.

I know what you mean. 65% is WAY too much hair for me. But, I've ordered less density in the past, and got pieces too thin (not from John, just in general).

My mother cuts hair for a living, and she has to spend a good amount of time with thinning shears and/or a razor. She has been using the razor lately, and I think it has helped eliminate the stubble spots that thinning shears can cause.

I order stock pieces, and wear my hair only 1 - 1.5" on top. So, I know the stock pieces are not vented for short style, but I also don't like waiting for my pieces.

The only real effective way to make for sure is to have hair removed. But, even then it can be returned with not quite enough removed, or too much removed. It's just the way it is, and I don't like waiting. So, I usually just have it thinned out to the point were it's decent enough to wear, then after it settles, thin it out more.

65% stock is really a rediculous amount of hair IMO. Unless you have REALLY thick sides, your going to have to thin it out.

Lucky to have my mother who cuts hair do it for me in the privacy of her home.
09-27-2010, 02:20 PM,
Thank you everyone... I will go ahead and order 65% and if it is too thick then I will just pull the hairs out little by little, and by the way my wife is a hair stylist and I think that helps a lot.