Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My review, queries, tips and tricks from a newbie
08-18-2010, 11:25 PM,
RE: My review, queries, tips and tricks from a newbie
Hey Paul,

I bought that scalp protector. Cant wait for it to arrive so I will try it out.

Paul, 1 question.. I glue the front half an inch. When I slide my hands through the hairline, you can see that the lace is detached from my scalp in some parts. Do you get that as well or is it just me doing something wrong with the glue? Cause this is one major concern... that if someone brushes their hands across my hairline, the lace will show.
08-19-2010, 01:35 AM,
Hi again mrjoejohn, I can fully appreciate how you would be concerned at parts of the hairline area lifting free of the glue...... which glue are you using ? It sounds to me that there are a few causes ------ you live in a hot climate [i think you said], your own body-chemistry, and the adhesive itself. It is common for people to try a few different ones before they find one which they can `get on `with. Do you apply only 1 coat or 2 ? Possibly you may need 2 or 3 coats to allow the lace to bed -down into. I don`t have that issue, but it would bother me if I had. Obviously you want to wear with confidence that your system will be as undetectable as possible. I reckon you are not doing ``something wrong`` as such --- it`s a fairly standard procedure [or should be ] to attach with confidence. I read your other new thread and it sounds like you are getting on well with the rest of the bond using the tape etc. and I think you just have to `` tweak`` the front hairline issue . I will have a look now, when I post this reply, at Debbie`s site, and see what strength glues she has. Paul.
Keep an eye on this thread -- I hope to have more information on this issue either later on today or tomorrow. I re -read your new thread in which you sound up -beat with the rest of the perimeter bond. You mentioned i-glue and Ultrahold. I have not used either of them so far, as I explained before, and still using my `tracksafe` which I have a large tub of, but Ultrahold seems to be a very strong glue. As I don`t have a bottle of it to hand, I cannot read the instructions for use, but USUALLY the way to apply glues is apply a layer, allow it to go clear, then apply another layer, again allow to go clear [tacky] and if a third layer is required, do the same thing. Then press the lace down onto the tacky glue--you certainly should have no issues with lifting of the lace, in the short -term, by doing it that way. I hope that helps -- I`ll be back with more as soon as possible. Paul.
08-19-2010, 03:28 AM,
Ok --back again. I contacted Debbie who tells me the Ultrahold is the strongest glue she has available. I am quoting now: ``Apply a thin layer, and allow it to dry for about 5 minutes. Your skin must be super dry and super clean. Lace must be dry and have no residue on it``
So once the glue has `` gone off``, you press the lace down on to it. I would think the scalp protector you ordered will also help. Keep us posted. Cheers, Paul.
08-19-2010, 05:57 AM,
hi paul thanks for commenting and for your interest.

I am currently using iGlue. I have never used any other glue so far but I have bought UltraHold and cant wait to give it a try. iGlue is water based and doesnt feel as strong a glue as I would like. However, the weather conditions havent been favourable here either (we are having a heatwave) so you can imagine the sweating and all.

My last attempt with iGlue was much better because I sat in front of a fan, it helped to keep lace pulled back and kept my scalp dry while I applied the glue. After about 3 to 4 coatings, I pressed the lace in the glue and I have never had a better hairline attachment so far. Not impressive, but a much improvement, considering, Im in my third day without the URGENT need of a touch up. If I pull back my hair, you can see parts of it are lifted, but I am not overly concerned.

Nonetheless, I am almost certain (and hoping also) that the UltraHold shall do a good job. I will keep you posted on the Scalp Protector as well.
08-19-2010, 06:59 AM,
Ok mate --that clarifies it --the i-glue is less strong and the fact that you are in very hot conditions will affect the bond . Another little tip to help you keep the lace front bit folded back while you work on applying the glue -- just fold it back flat, then catch a small tuft of the hair from the fringe,and `clip`it to another bit of hair under it using a clothes peg -the things you use to keep clothes on a clothesline --- don`t pull it tight or anything like that --you just want to hold it back out of your way for a few minutes while your glue goes off a bit. I`m not sure about the Ultrahold, but I have often blown the glue with a warm hairdryer ---speeds up the time it takes to go off. I`m sure the scalp protector and Ultrahold will sort out your issue. Paul.
08-19-2010, 10:02 AM,
awesome!

will keep you updated when i try it out!
thanks paul
08-24-2010, 07:59 AM,
ultrahold and scalp protector are awesome paul! i just wanted to report.
to remove the stickiness of the excess glue which seaps out of the hairline (and as a result gets dirt on it), I spray freeze hair spray (I use Tresemme but I suppose anything does it), and I get an extremely clean hairline. Big Grin

Thanks for your help Paul.
08-24-2010, 09:13 AM,
Good stuff mate --glad you`re happier and more confident with your bond now. Glad to be of help. Paul.
08-31-2010, 11:27 AM,
hi mrjoejhon! may I talk with you privately? could you send me a mail at [email protected] thanks!