Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wearing with an extremely oily scalp
06-13-2010, 02:39 AM,
Wearing with an extremely oily scalp
Hi all- I finally realized why my scalp was getting so irritated in the front. I was searching for a tape that was sensitive to break outs. It turns out, it is because of an extremely oily scalp and the tape (it really doesn't matter which brand) will essentially trap the oil and create itchiness and irritation... to the point where I have to lift my system sometimes 3 times a day and reapply the tape after cleaning the skin. This can be quite cumbersome and can lead to some tense situations (at work). Does anyone out there deal with this problem and could you give me some of your solutions/temporary remedies. Currently I am using Nizoral everyday, have tried everything from tea tree oil, microdermabrasion, talcum powder and yes even antiperspirant. Please help if you know of a better way.
06-13-2010, 06:20 AM,
RE: Wearing with an extremely oily scalp
If tapes and glues don't work for you due to hygienic reasons, I highly recommend Got2BeGlued spiking gel. Put this on your entire scalp, put on your piece, give me about 5 minutes to dry, then voila you're done. It gives a strong hold but will come off super easily in the shower (just drench in water with shampoo.

Daily attachments (with tapes and glues) are tedious due to the process involved. However, because Got2BeGlued is so easy to attach and detach, daily attachments are virtually effortless. Plus you get a chance to wash away all that dirt and oil daily.

This is the one that I use: http://mp.hairboutique.com/_images/produ...e_350w.jpg

Good luck!

Leamon
06-14-2010, 02:23 AM,
Thanks Leamon. I do in fact use GTBG for the front sometimes. It is comfortable... more than tape but the oil breaks it down fast and then it lifts. I guess I need to attack the problem from the root (no pun intended). I need a remedy to get rid of the "excess" oil that I wasnt producing before. I wonder if anyone has some experience with lowering the amount of sebum produced? At this point I'll will try anything.
06-14-2010, 06:32 AM,
I know some people have applied a roll on antiperspirant prior attaching. Results have been mixed but it's worth a try. It might work for you.
06-14-2010, 10:58 PM,
Is there a specific brand of roll on antiperspirant that works best for this application? BTW thanks for that bit of advice.
06-15-2010, 02:27 AM,
Can anyone help out here? I've never used it so I can't say.
06-16-2010, 10:28 AM,
I don't know if this is for sure you're problem but I suffer from a skin condition known as Seborrheic dermatitis, which does cause symptoms similar to yours such as excessively oily scalp/ skin, itchy , and irritation . It also causes excessive dandruff and yellowish scales if it gets bad.

here's a link to info all about it
https://health.google.com/health/ref/Seb...dermatitis

Nizoral and Tea trea oil are common treatments used to control the Seborrheic Dermatitis,but it's a chronic condition and sadly has no cure Sad and lately those two products haven't been working as well as they did a few months ago .

Again this may not be your problem but if it is , then I can give you advice .
I have been balding for a few years and was going to go through with getting a system but then the Seborrheic Dermatitis appeared and now i'm not sure if i could manage caring for a hair system and my scalp condition at the same time.
I'm still hoping to find a way to wear a system , even if it means attaching and removing it every day or so ( although that would be a pain )

how long does the G2BG work for you before it lifts ?

if anyone else is stuck in the same boat as me , some advice would be much appreciated

here's a link to a thread created by people suffering from SD
http://www.acne.org/messageboard/OFFICIA...37402.html
06-16-2010, 07:58 PM,
RE: Wearing with an extremely oily scalp (Picture)
Hi Fox.... sorry to hear of your skin problem. I know that years ago in Ireland, you could get coal -tar shampoo [absolutely stank to high heaven :-) ] but was very effective for your condition. I did a Google search [coal tar shampoo] and it`s coming up with Neutragena T -gel shampoo [which has coal tar in it] Tegrin and Pentrax are two other shampoos mentioned. I feel if you ordered a system with a poly perimeter and lace front, just a little dab of glue in 2 or 3 places at the front and 2 or 3 small strips of tape on the poly perimeter [thus minimising the number of ``contact`` / irritation points ] would enable you to wear with the minimum of fuss as you can easily detatch in the evening or even during the day if necessary for cleaning. I used to have an all -poly base ---boy did that irritate the scalp after a few days wear. Eventually I had to use `sudocreme`[ should be available at any good drug store in the baby -care section as it`s also great for nappy -rash ! ] to soothe the skin and help `dry`it --- in general, the scalp can be [by it`s nature] oily and it perspires a lot too in some people so lace is about the best thing to allow the skin to breath --taking the unit off nightly and allowing the air at the head will also pay dividends ---- I will attach a pic of an old [not a Toplace ] unit which I pop on when I`m out working in the heat and sweating a lot -- I just come in and give it a rinse under running water to get the sweat off it but it shows 3 strips of tape and I would recommend you consider that type of `` light`` attachment if you decide to order /wear, until such time as [ hopefully ] your scalp conditiion improves. Believe me -- lace is so light on your head there is no way it would chafe /irritate the skin in an existing skin condition. I do hope that`s of some interest to you--- Paul.
P.S. --will post pic seperately below this as I typed it in the ``Quick reply`` box and there is no `` attach`` button on it.
Pic of unit showing 3 small tape -points -----

Attached Files Image(s)

06-17-2010, 03:14 AM,
Paul,
That's for the info and picture. That's very helpful information. It's not very often that people these types of issues but it does happen. Everyone is different.
Regards,
John
06-17-2010, 11:08 PM,
Fox- yes I am not sure what the dermatological condition I have is. A few years back, my forehead was getting extremely red to the point it had a burning sensation. Everyone would comment that it looked dry and that I should treat it with lotion. Well that just made it worse. After seeing a dermatologist he said that it "seemed" dry but it was actually due to over productive sebaceous glands that were clogged. He diagnosed me with Seborrheic dermatitis. I did have flakes like crazy but no yellowish scales. The thing was, this was confined to my forehead only. It eventually went away, but now my scalp and forehead tend to get oily... very fast, I don't have the burning sensation or and dandruff associated with it. The dermatologist, this time diagnosed me with over productive sebaceous glands caused by excessive testosterone being converted into DHT. So my thinking is to reduce the DHT...what everyone does when they lose their hair. What the hell!

But the GTBG does hold the front good for the day with absolutely zero irritation.