Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
will this work with a full cap?
05-21-2010, 05:58 PM,
will this work with a full cap?
Hey Toplacers,

I'm new here. An African-American guy whose been balding since my early 20's. I'm in my mid 30s now and JUST found out about TopLace. I knew there was NO WAY I could afford a hair transplant in the near future, not to mention they are not always successful. As a kid I sported relaxed hair alot, which always looked natural on me..and my bro (also helped damage my hair).

Nevertheless, since I'm light-skinned and have "mixed" features, no one would ever believe the relaxed hair was nothing but my natural hair texture. I have been called Puerto Rican, Indian, Middle Eastern, etc.

I have no doubt I wanna go for the ful cap, most likely iLace with SFS on all paremeters for the most indetectable realism possible...to sight and touch.....but I wanted to get all of your opinions on the specs of this first photo I'm attaching....density ventilation...hair texture? I think I may go with a SLIGHTLY not as curly texture...more subdued curls? But I've already talked to John and he suggested I got with this look first...as opposed to my upcoming pix Im posting....just because it would allow for more versitility.

Is this look possible with a a full cap and wat is the ventilation, density in ur opinions?

Yours truly,
Debo2010
here are a couple more ideas I have for a full cap .Are these hairstyles gonna be too low to achieve with a full cap? I trust John, who said anythings possible....but wat density and style would u say I should go with to get this look?

Oh, btw, I already know I want Debbie to style watever my first unit ends up being.

Im kinda SCARED of using SFS because I been hearing stories about fragility of that lace.......but Im looking for a seamless hairline...sides...and nape....french lace is heavier and more visible on the skin..right?

thanks in advance guys

Attached Files Image(s)

05-21-2010, 11:20 PM,
RE: will this work with a full cap?
Hey mate. The most realistic one is the bottom pic that you will be able to achieve, at least at the start I think. To get sharp short temples like that will take ALOT of practice mate!!! Have you read about hair tattooing? While I dont think it is for everyone, I have seen some pictures of Black guys and it looks very good. Even if you had that done for the temples and went with a topper? There is a guy on HD who has it named Donald, very short, curly african/american man and even has a little parting!!! I haven't personally experienced SFS but find French Very good. However, I think this is a skin tone thing. Even if the lace isn't fully attaached I can get away with it as its a very light lace, with a darker lace I really dont know!!!
05-22-2010, 12:46 AM,
(05-21-2010, 11:20 PM)tunners Wrote: Hey mate. The most realistic one is the bottom pic that you will be able to achieve, at least at the start I think. To get sharp short temples like that will take ALOT of practice mate!!! Have you read about hair tattooing? While I dont think it is for everyone, I have seen some pictures of Black guys and it looks very good. Even if you had that done for the temples and went with a topper? There is a guy on HD who has it named Donald, very short, curly african/american man and even has a little parting!!! I haven't personally experienced SFS but find French Very good. However, I think this is a skin tone thing. Even if the lace isn't fully attaached I can get away with it as its a very light lace, with a darker lace I really dont know!!!

Thanks for the response Tunners. Yeah, the bottom pic is the one I'm looking to recreate. I love the hairline on him and the ability to style it different ways, even adding a part! C'mon that's HEAVEN !! And yes, I am familiar with Donald's pix from HD. I like the look of his hair when looking down on it...but something about the look from face on still seems a little "flat?" I want there to be some lift to the frontal hair line where u can see the hair ventilating upwards a bit..like actually originating from the scalp. Donald's hair just seems to be sitting there at the front, not as high definition as I would prefer (but i know I'm being picky..lol) And Donald's side's and temple points aren't as "sharp and defined" as I would want mine to be. ( and trust me...I've been able to achieve from pretty damn convincing haircuts AND edge ups using a combination of cut up wig hair and got2bglued glue ,freezing spray AND a china marker..lol (yeah I graduated college with a BA degree..so drawing n sketchin in details is second nature to me..haha!) Donald's real hair on the sides still looks a bit too receded ...which CAN sometimes be a dead give away of a wearer. (not that pasting on wig hair on my receded hairline and temples is that much better....lol...but I've developed a artistry for it...it's just waay too time consuming and no one can EVER touch my head n NOOO getting it wet or swimming...sweating hasn't been a big issue with me tho..hmmmm, please try not to die laughing guys..lol)

Oh and about the French lace comment, well my skin is pretty light...but I know not as light as the average Caucasian skin so that leads me to another question. Can Toplacers order lace that is slight tinted to add more realism??

I've tried out a lace front wig from a local business and found that it was the shininess and rugged texture of the lace on the hairline that I didn't find appealing, the tone didn't really look bad against my skin since it's mainly transparent...but dang it felt kind stiff.and the shine was a big thing. I'm thinking SFS would work for better blending in with ones skin on the hairline? Right now the iLace base and SFS front and sides is "sounding" good for me..but I have no experience to base this on.

Cheers
05-30-2010, 09:52 AM,
Debo,
I get hair units sent in all the time from other companies for duplication. The customers say that they're lace because that's what they were told. When I get the units I find that they are fine mono--yesterday's technology. This is even true of units that I receive that were made by Richard Farrell. The units cost $2,800 and are fine mono with a French lace front. Lace is much more finer and undetectable than fine mono. So what you tried on may have been fine mono and they were trying to pass it off as lace. The ILace with a Super Fine Swiss lace front might need special instructions to the factory if you are darker skinned. The standard order works fine for Caucasians but if you're darker we'll need to instruct the factory to use a darker colored lace that will blend in better with your skin color.
Regards,
John
06-04-2010, 09:26 AM,
The last style would be no problem with a full cap. The other style would be very difficult if not impossible due to the fade in the back. Better off with a partial for a style like that if you have enough side hair.

The bottom line is that almost any style is achievable with a full cap, with the exception of a "fade" type cut. There is a limit to how short you can cut the hair and maintain realism. Dino and I have been experimenting to see how short they truly can go, but a lot of it depends upon the way the individual unit is ventilated and how well the knots are bleached.
I should also mention that I think the last style should look very realistic with a full cap. Curly hair like that with some hair product would look outstanding, IMO.