Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Question for JRob (about Full Cap) Photo
03-26-2010, 02:00 PM,
Question for JRob (about Full Cap) Photo
Hi JRob! I'm planning on ordering a Full Cap, All French Lace system. I noticed on the following post (<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.toplace.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1796&p=12048&hilit=marker#p12048">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1796&p=12048&hilit=marker#p12048</a><!-- l -->) you mentioned "Personally, I prefer to design my template to attach just below the occipital bone (the base of the skull)."

When I make my full cap template, is the line on the following photo just below the occipital bone? And if so, do you have any problems with strong wind, etc. making the portion beneath this line flapping in the wind?

side note - this is not a photo of my head. Thanks for all of your help JRob!

Attached Files Image(s)

03-26-2010, 03:09 PM,
Re: Question for JRob (about Full Cap)
Unless you are integrating some of your existing nape hair you will have to go lower. My full caps extend all the way down to where I want my back hairline to start.

With a little trial and error I was able to develop a neckline base modification and attachment method that gives a strong, undetectable hold using blue liner tape. In the past people complained about how the flexing in the neck area would not allow the unit to stick for any length of time, but there are several guys out there now who are wearing full caps that do not have issues in the back.

If you are not integrating nape hair you can always make the base extend down a little further than you think you might want and trim the base up after your cut-in with a hobby knife if you think it might look better or stay attached better if the back were a little higher.

And to answer your question- no, the back will not have a problem flapping in the wind as long as you use blue liner or a strong glue, especially with a fairly fresh attachment.

Here is a picture of the back of my last full cap. The hair extends approximately 1/2" below the base. This should give you an idea of where the lace begins.

[Image: IMGP4491.JPG]
03-26-2010, 04:02 PM,
Sounds good JRob! Thank you so much for all of your help man!!
04-05-2010, 02:18 PM,
shadow Wrote:Sounds good JRob! Thank you so much for all of your help man!!

My pleasure. If you have any more questions let me know.
04-12-2010, 04:39 PM,
RE: Question for JRob (about Full Cap) Photo
This is great photo of JRob's full cap.
04-13-2010, 06:09 AM,
Hi JRob --looking great. What were the specs of that --- i.e. style, density. It looks like forward venting from crown ? Thanks, Paul.
04-18-2010, 05:22 AM,
JRob are you able to answer Bingofan with your specs?
04-21-2010, 03:00 PM,
(04-13-2010, 06:09 AM)bingofan Wrote: Hi JRob --looking great. What were the specs of that --- i.e. style, density. It looks like forward venting from crown ? Thanks, Paul.

Sorry, been busy the past couple of weeks!

That's all french lace with swiss hairline and temples (NEVER order swiss in the sideburn area on a full cap) straight hair, forward ventilation, color #17 with 20% #14 sunstreak highlights (the highlights are hard to see after a couple of months) 70% back, 68% sides, 65% temples and top, if I remember correctly.
04-22-2010, 08:31 PM,
Thanks for that -- I find a poly perimeter around the sides up as far as the temples, and then just lace at the front, is easier to work with -- is that impractical with a full -cap? It works fine on a hair -piece, but may not be practical on a full cap? I know about the nape issues with lifting etc. on an all -lace full cap, just wondering is poly perimeter not practical on full caps.
04-23-2010, 07:34 AM,
(04-22-2010, 08:31 PM)bingofan Wrote: Thanks for that -- I find a poly perimeter around the sides up as far as the temples, and then just lace at the front, is easier to work with -- is that impractical with a full -cap? It works fine on a hair -piece, but may not be practical on a full cap? I know about the nape issues with lifting etc. on an all -lace full cap, just wondering is poly perimeter not practical on full caps.

I have limited experience with poly perimeters, but the experience I do have had led me back to all lace.

There are several issues that you face using poly:

1) The nape area is enough of a challenge to get to adhere and look realistic without the added isues of having a poly edge to deal with.
2) Depending upon the density of the unit, the transition between the lace and the poly edge might be visible.
3) In my experience, poly does not reduce attachment or cleanup time.

Most full cappers go with all lace units, but you might want to experiment with one poly perimeter unit just to see for yourself if it is for you.