Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few basic questions (Sorry, if they have been covered)
10-22-2009, 12:57 PM,
A few basic questions (Sorry, if they have been covered)
Hi Folks,

I apologise in advance if some of these Q's have been asked before. In a short para, I'm 26, and decided that I'm going to have a sytem. I've been tossing and turning over it, and thought about if I am ready for it? And, I feel that I am. I'm receding at the front, and now thinning at the back and with the help of concealers at the moment, I can just about keep the wolves from the door Wink All my friends have hair, and I want to have some too.

I have a few questions, which would be ace if anyone could answer them, just to prepare me even further for the transition. I've been reading, youtubing a few things and there is some great advice out there.

My many querries are --- the day that my hair systems arrive through the post, I can see it now, opening the packaging and probably freezing saying to myself "Ok, what the heck do I do now?" haha.

A cut-in in Scotland, or even Ireland, Wales? Does anybody know of a good Salon/Hair stylist in these Areas that can help a newbie with this? I'm near Dundee, but I am willing to travel just to learn a hands on approach to it.

Ordering the products, I've read a lot about glues/tapes/adhesive/alcohol etc, and How did you find the best attachment for you? Did you order loads of different tapes and glues and test them to see how they fit in?

Thanks in advance. Again, sorry if these questions have been bombared on here. I'll probably be on again to ask more Q's, :?

but again, this site is fantastic, and such a help for folk like myself who are completly clueless, but want to make a difference and feel better about themselves. Smile
10-23-2009, 04:16 AM,
Re: A few basic questions (Sorry, if they have been covered)
Hi Kevin,
We have customers in Scotland and Ireland that can recommend a stylist for you. Mr. Burns, if you're out there could you please help out? As far as glues and tapes go it's kind of trial and error to you what works best for you and your lifestyle. For many customers Walker No Shine tape works well with I Glue or Base Bond for touchup. That's a good place to start and see if it works for you. Keep reading this forum as there are tons of info on it that will help you. The hardest part about wearing is first starting out and there's a learning curve as well as an 'adjustment' period. But at one time everyone here was a 'newbie'---it's not rocket science.
Regards,
John
10-23-2009, 12:34 PM,
Hello,

Many thanks for your help and answers. I'll continue to keep reading and hopefully limit the Questions. Wink

All the best,
Kevin
10-26-2009, 01:59 PM,
Hi Kevin --just read your post. I`m in Ireland and while I have been wearing hair pieces for a long number of years, of various materials, I am new to `Toplace` and have just ordered a stock -piece to keep me going while I make a template [which I just did tonight] and send that to USA in order for a custom -made unit to be made/sent to me. Don`t be in the least bit afraid of `joining the club` --- you`re in the right place here and any advice you want /need will be provided. If you go to one of these hair -replacement salons, not alone will they keep you in the dark about how easy it is to care for your unit and also about re -attaching it, but they will cost you a fortune. My existing unit I bought from a supplier in Dublin ---it`s made in Germany and took 3 months to arrive. It`s 40% Human hair and 60% Fibre. It cost almost 1000Euros --which is almost the same price [now] in sterling ! While it is very easily maintained with very little washing required, I , like you , find that in the 12 months since I got it, have found my own hair continuing to thin at the back and sides and the difference in density between my own and the unit is now noticeable, so I have ordered a unit with less density and more length at the back to help blend in. My advice to you would be , source a salon near you in Scotland [in the Yellow pages] that supplies wigs for women or chemotheraphy patients --they will have some experience of styling in hairpieces ---- in fact, if you order the correct density in the first instance, practically any good stylist should be able to style it for you as there should not really be any need for thinning it out. It would really not be much different than if anyone went in there with long hair and wanted it cut/styled shorter --the only trick is to position the front of the unit at the actual start of the hairline and then ``roll`` it back across the scalp ---- it`s very easy with welded mesh bases --the lace [by it`s nature ] would be much less ``rigid`` and a little trickier as you need to anchor it with adhesive from the off ---with the welded mesh bases which have a polyurethane perimeter you can just pop on a little double -sided tape front and back and perhaps a little at the sides just to hold it in place while it`s being styled ---- obviously the lace bases are not as rigid and need to be anchored more or less in the final position-- ie once it`s styled, you won`t be taking it off again immediately. My scalp is oily and hot [although generally I don`t have oily skin] so I need to clean my scalp every day so I just put a little rectangle of tape on front and back and that`s quite enough to hold it in place even on very windy days --there`s no need to have the thing taped all the way around --- I just take it off at night and pop it back on in the morning after my shower. I know some people can get away with leaving the unit on for a lot longer but just for hygiene, I like to pop it on /off daily. Also, it`s not too good to wash the hair too often ---you can clean around inside the unit where it`s in contact with the scalp just to remove sweat [the acid in sweat will eventually rot /damage/ cause holes in the poly perimiter if not cleaned --just a little soapy water on a clean cloth or a cleaning fluid which I`m sure is available through the site here. When I used all -human hair last, I only ever used watered -down Johnsons baby shampoo or Lòreal shampoo for Coloured hair about once a week [they are definitely the mildest ] You can also get pump -action leave -in conditioners from good hair salon suppliers --- try not use too many gels and waxes as they can build -up and are hard to get out of the hair eventually.
Finally [I didn`t mean to rabbit -on so long! ] take the plunge --you`ll never look back and if you want any tips, just post here --if I can help I`ll be happy to or other posters will too I am sure -- cheers mate. Paul.
10-27-2009, 07:44 AM,
Hi Paul,

Your reply was Brilliant. So much depth and detail, Thank you very much for all that. Great to hear all the information and I've taken into account when trying my first system.
I ordered a system with quite a big density, 75% and also 6", I think. So, I might need to have a cut-in for the first one as just to trim it out. My hair is quite thick at the sides and around the top, it's just thinning a bit on the top, but I used to get called Haribo when I was kid. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JJl5wsGpcvA/RrchQvtUVsI/AAAAAAAAAJw/Uwx4BwEgFR4/s320/haribo_logo.gif">http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JJl5wsGpcvA/R ... o_logo.gif</a><!-- m --> haha as I had the exact hair like that, With concealers, and no wind, I had it like that as well, but it just takes a blast of wind to make it go everywhere haha.
I'm growing it in a bit and it's quite thick, so it makes the transition to a shortish style ok for wearing.
I'm thinking about going with wearing for 4/5 days, and then shaving etc/washing the scalp.

What made you go for a System?

Great to hear from you and your help has been awesome. All the best to Eire next month in the World Cup Qualifiers, I really hope you qualify.

Kevin/Caoimhìn
10-27-2009, 10:52 AM,
Hello again Kevin [ I see you have the Gaelic version too ! Big Grin ] I`m glad you found that helpful -- every person finds their own ``way`` of doing things and develop likes /dislikes --for someone in your position it`s just fear of the unknown. I forgot to say, that [ you were describing you `freezing` on opening the box] with all new pieces, they are very ``lively / bouncy`` for the first week or so and it`s actually a good thing to sleep with it on your head --that will help tame it. Also, if you think you might be a bit conscious of your friends etc noticing something different about you --- start wearing a baseball cap [ if u never have before] and that way, when the piece is on your head first, it will not be noticed as sharply, then after a few days of wear -in and it`s less lively, you can leave the cap off and no -one will really notice a stark contrast ---just one of my tricks with a new piece! A baseball cap [not too tight -fitting] will also help tame a new piece and help it ``settle``. I am not aware of what material you selected for the base so if it`s all lace it will have to be adhesive but if it`s got some polyurethane around the perimeter you can use double -sided tape. I used to bond mine all the way around -- I find now a little rectangle of tape front and back is quite enough as I take it off going to bed and can`t be ``doing`` with taking all taht sticky tape off ---tape is extremely sticky and if you use it all the way around it can be time -consuming to take it off again --you have to be careful too if using anything kind of sharp to peel it back not to damage your base -- with the little I use, a fingernail will be enough to get a ``start`` on it and I can just peel it back.I only use a piece of tape the size of 2 thumbnails [approx] front and back and it`s fine. With lace I believe it`s a bit more ``messy`` as you are using a citrus -based liquid to break down the adhesive and that liquified gunge then has to be removed --there is good advice on the forum on how to do it fairly quickly .I used to use adhesive all the way around and leave it on for quite a while ---- a lot of the adhesives you paint on [with a little artists paintbrush] and normally that bond will stay ``good`` for up to 3 weeks or so but eventually you have the heat from the body, sweat and moisture all helping to make it gooey and then it has to be cleaned off fully and the unit re -applied but from the point of view of hygiene it`s best to clean your scalp frequently. I used a salon here [it was quite common] for the unit to be made entirely of polyurethane and your entire scalp [the bald bit] was painted with glue and the unit bonded to it ----there it sat for up to 4 weeks --- you can imagine what that was like after 4 weeks especially in warm weather---just amazed I never got an infection . Your skin is constantly losing tiny particles and even though you are bald, oil is still produced by the scalp and you will also sweat from the scalp in summer --that HAS to be cleaned. I find the welded mesh [a lot like lace but tougher for wear] is very good as the skin can breath through it and the perimiter is the only part which is ``solid`` ----that`s the bit which is adhered by either glue or tape. As I said, i no longer bond it all around --no need to --you`re only making work for yourself.! If you have someone running their hand through your hair [ahem, as you do !! ] well then I would go for a full all -around bond otherwise there is no need with the poly perimeters. All - lace will need an all -around bond but you need not ``shovel`` it on --- just use the adhesive sparingly as it`s quite strong and sets really fast too ----I saw a post on here about using a specific type of alcohol on it at first to slow down the setting process to give you time to position the thing properly before it solidifies -- you could e mail John and he`d be happy to clarify that. We probably have it here too but under a different common name ? You`ll be a dab -hand at it in no time . What I used to do before was place the unit on my head, using a mirror behind and in front and when it was where I wanted it, I just turned the front flap backwards, painted on a little adhesive around the front perimeter and patted it down onto the scalp. I then did the same around the right -side heading towards the back [but not all the way] then over to the left and finally the very back of the unit and I had a nice bond ---sparingly is the key and an artists brush is the ideal tool for the job. If you get any in the hair just put some of the break -down fluid on a bit of kitchen towel and wipe it off the hair.
You asked why I began wearing --well Kevin, my hair was always very fine and not very heavy so when it began to get really thin I hated it --baldness suits some men but not me --it`s a self -confidence thing too --- so my advice to you is have no worries and you should be really happy . I think by the way you were describing your thickness at the sides etc I think the density you ordered is right for you --you`d probably need it on top to blend in with the sides. If it needs a little thinning, the salon should have a thinning comb [a comb with a blade on it] but choose the salon /stylist carefully as that`s half the battle. Let me know if you had any luck with locating one --- you should be able to find one near you fairly easily. Hope that was useful Kevin ---anyone on here will pass on their knowledge /experience -we`re all in it together.
PS --- I enjoy exercise etc but the footie etc ----not my cuppa at all Smile Thanks for the thought though ----Scots and Paddies are very alike !!
All the best Mate. Paul.
10-27-2009, 12:39 PM,
Hallo a' Phaul,

I speak a bit of Gaelic, I agree about Scots/Paddies - We're originally the Scotti tribe from Ireland. Wink. An old Billy Connolly joke about the Scotti's ''Hey Guys, let's go to an even rainier place'' ;-)

Once again, your Information is fantastic, I'm going to print this thread off with the information for when my system comes. Really great to have inside information. I'm preparing myself for the transition quite well, reading these threads and also I've been wearing a lot of Baseball caps and Beanies recently. So, hopefully that'll help the mental preparation too, I'm hair is quite thick on the top but thin if that makes sense? It's thick, but with sporadic thin areas too, if that makes sense? I've gone for the system mostly because of my frontal recession, the balding at the crown etc is only recently, so almost killing to birds with one stone etc.

I'm the same as you bud, in the sense of going for a System as I've shaved my head before and I really don't suit it, I almost have a peanut shaped crome haha, and even if my hair is really short, I feel much better with a bit more hair , and I'd love to be able to style it with a bit of a spiked fashion or quiffed etc, I can't really do that as I need to almost side-sweep it for the recession.
Sounds vain, but I felt better with 'normal' hair, looked better and being 26 and all my pals having hair, my older brother who's 30, runs his own business, 3 kids, has his full frontal area, and no signs of thinning. Also, I fancy looking my age and feeling a bit more confident. The last few years or so, if I've had no time to plan 'my hair' as daft as that sounds, I'd almost wear a Baseball cap all the time, getting fed up of the excessive baseball cap wearing. I don't mind wearing one now and again, but not almost every time I go out.
And when I do my hair, it's getting to the stage where it's taking a lot of work to make it sit right, and then that's now allowing for a bit of wind, rain etc where one big blust will blow it all over the place, haha, and finally, the cost of concealers, such as Nanogen etc. Ok, not as expensive as a few systems and supplies, but probably not far off, £25 odd pound or so for a bottle of Nanogen fibres from Garden pharmacy..

Sorry, I'm going on a bit now, but all the best, and thanks again for your time and help.
Amazing people out there to help us newbee's on what to do.

Caoimhìn
10-27-2009, 08:53 PM,
Hi again Kevin --delighted you found the info of use ---I know exactly what u mean about being self -conscious. Baldness suits some but not many and as you said, it makes you look your own age or even younger having a full head of hair ---- it literally makes me look 20 years younger. My stock unit is being sent today --- I`m sending in my template tomorrow for a custom - made unit so that will take a few more weeks----really looking forward to getting that. I don`t drink /smoke [I used to ] but I do believe in spending a bit on your appearance --it`s a self -esteem thing really and nothing to do with vanity ---- I would go so far as to say for many men. losing their hair is as upsetting as a woman losing hers --women always seem to get more ``understanding`` of the problems it cause for them yet men are told --``oh well --it`s in your family `` or some other similar sentiment ---in other words put up with it. My own has thinned at the back over the last year that the density difference is now too obvious between my unit and actual hair ---also when it was styled -in first day, she left it a little thin/short I reckon, and once my own caried on thinning it made a new one necessary. A stock unit will do me for now until I send the template. The one good thing I found with the Fiber as opposed to real hair is that it is quite fade -resistant and also the wind does not blow it around so you have no need of gels/sprays etc. I note you said you like it a bit spikey --try not use waxes suck as Dax --it`s a good product but can build - up and then you can shorten the life span of any unit by excessive washing / cleaning.L`oreal make a good gel called ``Invisifix`` available in most good pharmacies etc in various `strengths` and that is very easy to wash out ---you can get it in a pump-action spray too and it`s really good and as I say there is no residue or build -up.
Finally, as with your own hair, excessive sun -exposure [you won`t get much of that in Ireland or Scotland Big Grin ] will fade the hair so if going to a hot country like spain etc, always keep a light baseball cap on during the day. I`m quite used to colouring my own hair too so if and when u need any advice there further down the road, I`ll be delighted to help --it`s simple really and again ,nothing to be afraid of.
Cheers for now Man and hope you`ll be delighted with it when it arrives. Let me know how you get on with finding a stylist too --will keep an eye on here --- Paul.
11-04-2009, 02:25 AM,
Hi Kevin, my stock -unit arrived Monday here -- pleased with the way it looks /colour / texture etc. Went to a local salon today in the town I live in [about 15 miles from Cork City] and the stylist agreed to layer / cut it in for me before the weekend. I`m just letting the unit lie down a bit and settle before she takes the scissors to it! Will let u know how it turns out. Did you have any joy finding a stylist? Paul.
11-06-2009, 09:32 AM,
Hi Paul

How's it going in Cork? Nice to hear from you. I'm still awaiting my first arrival, but I've ordered my goodies to help keep the thing on my head and they are meant to be with me soon and are in transit, so will be exciting to see them all next week once they get to Bonnie Scotland.

How's it going with the New piece you have there?

I was going to ask you, how do you plan on cutting your own exisiting hair? And what type of shower shampoo and gel do you use to style it? I've read on some forums, pages, that it's best to use a a hair system type of gel/wax, but some say it's not that important what wax you use to style it. Then also about shamppoing it, some say do it only once a week, and some say 3x a week.

Thanks for the tips on the hat. I play a bit of Golf, and some other sports. I've got a pal living in UAE, and he's asked me over and I assume it'll be very hot, so I'll have a cap ready for that Golf Course and hopefully don't want the system getting burnt or on fire haha!

take care bigman,

Kevin