Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new customer
11-21-2009, 02:50 AM,
new customer
Hello guys!
I´ve been a hairpiece wearer for four years now and been thinking of getting a new one(s) from Toplace, since it all sounds so good from reading these posts here!
My current pieces(2) are custom made, with permanent attachment with somekind of miracle glue and I go to the hair salon to switch the hairpiece every two months.It´s ok I guess, though I could easily do it myself and save the money. Also my current piece doesn´t have a natural looking hairline, no front lace so to speak, so I have a long fringe to cover my forehead.I´d love to have a hairline, natural looking please!
I wear my hair long, so it would be so nice to brush it back sometimes and wear a ponytail or a bun.Now it takes time to adjust the style, to cover the hairline to look natural as possible.

I gotta ask you guys,(though there´s so much information here at the forum!): which is the best base material, I don´t do much sports,don´t sweat a lot but I travel, so it should be easy to attach in various "environments" and should stay put for longer periods, 3 weeks would be great,but I´ll settle for less!I guess that depends more on the glue and tape.
For the base I was thinking about french lace with swiss front , but according to some posts here, all french base would be more durable,is that true?And the hairline looks as natural as with swiss front? I can´t really see the difference from the base sample photos from Toplace webpage, sorry.

Which option is better, get the piece blonde and then colouring it or to send a picture or a sample of the desired colour to Toplace? I´ve done some colouring in my life,I´ve graduated from hairdressing school years back..so I know the tricks. I would like to have highlights, the roots a bit darker and the lenghts lighter shade.

For the density I was thinking 65-70%, that way it lasts longer and the length would be 10-12 inches with freestyle, maybe a little graduation at the front also.I like my hair long..hippyish!

I try to attach few pictures, are any of these looks possible to create, to create also brush back style?I´m still not 100% sure about that "Kurt Cobainish"-look but the small pic of brownish hair is really close what I have at the moment.Should I send these to Toplace with my order also?

[Image: spl80657_001.jpg][Image: 50934346.jpg] [Image: leto00.jpg] [Image: jaredleto_150.jpg[img]]http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl2/0/88/10_2009/7e2f35844ee689b1_jared-_-isabel.jpg[/img]

Thanks already for the anwers and take care!
M
11-21-2009, 06:31 AM,
Re: new customer
Mosjoo,

Although I can't answer all of your questions for you, I'll make an attempt at giving you the information that I know.

About bases, I think there is a lot of debate about French vs. Swiss lace. Which is better? It really depends on preference. I don't have a French lace piece so I don't know, but I ordered mine based on what a lot of people have (which is the Swiss lace). I think the consensus is, Swiss lace is very undetectable. A concern that some people had was: "but Swiss lace is so fragile". I think when people read this, they imagine a base that falls apart in your hands. Trust me, I am not fragile and my last Swiss lace piece lasted half a year. To give you an example, I would hold the wet piece (when it's unattached from my head) and swing dry it.

In summary, if you want realism, the majority of the people swears by Swiss lace for the front. Don't worry about it being "fragile" b/c it isn't. The only way for you to damage it is if you are deliberately trying to damage it (i.e. cut it in half with scissors), otherwise it should be fine.

As to the color, I have no experience so I can't tell you. TL suggests sending in a sample of your hair so they can match the color. Since you have experience with coloring, perhaps all you'll need to do is specify to them a color (refer to the color chart they have), and tweak it to your liking.

As for the pictures, I think it's better to send those pictures to whoever is giving you the cut in. The factory only makes pieces according to certain default lengths (instead of specified styles). Make sure when you order, you specify how long you want it.

I think that's all I could do for you. Many others on here will be a lot more knowledgeable about your other questions.

On yes, glue and tapes depend on the individual person. Most people use Walker No Shine tape for the front. If you prefer glue, many people use Iglue.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Leamon
11-21-2009, 07:18 AM,
Thanks Leamon!
Yes the main concern really was that how fragile the swiss lace is really.I don´t want to have my hairpiece crumbling to my hands after couple of months...! It´s just that one gets so confused reading all this information in this forum. There are so many views and opinions which base suits your lifestyle best.
I think that my current piece has some kind of lace base, it´s really thin, but I dunno if it´s french lace or what but it´s really durable but not that natural looking at the front..and that is one of the reasons why I want to change to TopLace.

I guess I could do with swiss then,I trust your words for it, I want it to look natural and undetectable.

I´m quite careful with my hair nowadays.And that makes the hairpiece last longer.At first I washed it too often and was too rough when combing etc. I guess it took some time to get used to new hair.

Thanks again!
M
11-21-2009, 11:15 AM,
Mosjoos,
Feel free to send in the photos with the order. They will be sent in to the factory so they can see the look you'd like to achieve. They'll be able to see the density, style and length and they make the order to match the photo.
Regards,
John
11-21-2009, 12:47 PM,
Mosjoos,

Glad I was able to help a bit. Just a few reminders for you: although lace is undetectable, the key is to keep it adhered to the scalp properly (which entails cleaning it thoroughly. This might require some practice if you're completely new to the task).

Also, when you order a piece, there will be excess lace in the front hairline. From my experience, you should leave about a centimeter of excess lace. It will help keep the lace from lifting due to the weight of the hair. Some people cut the lace to the hairline, some people leave about 1/2 a centimeter. I leave a whole centimeter, and would recommend you do the same.

Leamon