Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about shampoos and hair shedding
12-06-2009, 09:58 AM,
Questions about shampoos and hair shedding
I have a question about shampooing and hair shedding. I ordered the L'Oreal EverPure shampoo to avoid color fading. I noticed as soon as I washed the system with the EverPure that knots got loose and hair shed. After that I applied a knot sealer but that didnt seem to do anything since I've noticed lots of shedding that week. I've noticed in the past that everytime I try a new shampoo I've noticed some shedding, however the shedding might not have anything to do with washing the system with a new shampoo but with the shampoo itself.

This L'oreal everpure is the Moisturizing version of the line since I wanted to stop using conditioners altogether. Does the moisturizing part might have something to do with it? I want to wash my system with sulfate-free shampoos from now on, have you heard hair shedding taking place with the l'oreal everpure? Would you recommend another sulfate-free shampoo that DOES NOT make my system shed or do systems shed everytime you wash it with a NEW shampoo?
12-06-2009, 04:19 PM,
Re: Questions about shampoos and hair shedding
Charlie,
Using a conditioner (and sometimes a shampoo with conditioner in it) is a two edged sword. The conditioner helps the hair but it also losens the knots. And even though you applied a knot sealer you still had shedding. That's because the conditioner was still on the base and still 'slippery.' You need to clean the base of the oils in the conditioner in order for the knot sealer to set properly. You can clean the oils off the base by putting the base only in alcohol for a minute to remove the conditioner. A citrus cleaner like De-Solv-It will also work. Don't immerse any more than just the lace as it could dry out the hair. I use a shampoo called 'Creme of Nature.' Although it has a conditioner and detangler in it I have not experienced a lot of shedding (and I don't seal knots). It is blended for Africian-Americans who tend to have drier and coarser hair than Caucausians or Asians. I used to get it at WalMart but I haven't seen it there in a long time. You can get it on line or at some Walgreen's drug stores. It's less than $5 per bottle and it's as good as any shampoo I've used. If you need a conditioner in your hair use don't use the rinse out kind. Get a spray in leave-in conditioner that you spray on damp hair. But don't use too much that it gets down to your knots---it's the same deal--it will losen the knots.
Regards,
John
12-09-2009, 07:22 AM,
CharlieHarper Wrote:I have a question about shampooing and hair shedding. I ordered the L'Oreal EverPure shampoo to avoid color fading. I noticed as soon as I washed the system with the EverPure that knots got loose and hair shed. After that I applied a knot sealer but that didnt seem to do anything since I've noticed lots of shedding that week. I've noticed in the past that everytime I try a new shampoo I've noticed some shedding, however the shedding might not have anything to do with washing the system with a new shampoo but with the shampoo itself.

This L'oreal everpure is the Moisturizing version of the line since I wanted to stop using conditioners altogether. Does the moisturizing part might have something to do with it? I want to wash my system with sulfate-free shampoos from now on, have you heard hair shedding taking place with the l'oreal everpure? Would you recommend another sulfate-free shampoo that DOES NOT make my system shed or do systems shed everytime you wash it with a NEW shampoo?

Hey Charlie,

Shedding is usually caused by hair breakage. In the several years I have been wearing, I have only had one unit that shed due to loosening of the knots. You will know if it is breakage by looking at the hair. If it is in a "V" shape, that is a knot coming untied. If there is no V or just a small "hook" at the end of the hair, that means the hair was broken.

The bad news is that shampoo can definitely cause this. Before I developed my own products I was using these horrible shampoos from the drug store. They were sulfate free, but they were definitely NOT made for use with processed hair. They made my units shed like crazy. The pH was probably too high and they had no moisture retention properties. Bad, bad, bad.

The good news is that if you use cool water to wash and condition and use the right maintenance products, shedding will no longer be an issue.
12-10-2009, 04:14 PM,
Thanks for the replys guys. Jrob what hair maintenance products will you recommend that does not cause any shedding? Have you tried the L'Oreal Everpure line? Did Everpure caused shedding for you?
12-10-2009, 05:55 PM,
What JRob has said about shedding is very true. Most of the time it's hair breaking and not the knot coming undone.
12-13-2009, 10:08 AM,
Jrob what hair maintenance products will you recommend that does not cause any shedding that are kind of like the ones that you developed yourself?
12-13-2009, 10:15 AM,
JRob Wrote:
CharlieHarper Wrote:I have a question about shampooing and hair shedding. I ordered the L'Oreal EverPure shampoo to avoid color fading. I noticed as soon as I washed the system with the EverPure that knots got loose and hair shed. After that I applied a knot sealer but that didnt seem to do anything since I've noticed lots of shedding that week. I've noticed in the past that everytime I try a new shampoo I've noticed some shedding, however the shedding might not have anything to do with washing the system with a new shampoo but with the shampoo itself.

Hey Charlie,

Shedding is usually caused by hair breakage. In the several years I have been wearing, I have only had one unit that shed due to loosening of the knots. You will know if it is breakage by looking at the hair. If it is in a "V" shape, that is a knot coming untied. If there is no V or just a small "hook" at the end of the hair, that means the hair was broken.

The bad news is that shampoo can definitely cause this. Before I developed my own products I was using these horrible shampoos from the drug store. They were sulfate free, but they were definitely NOT made for use with processed hair. They made my units shed like crazy. The pH was probably too high and they had no moisture retention properties. Bad, bad, bad.

The good news is that if you use cool water to wash and condition and use the right maintenance products, shedding will no longer be an issue.

Jrob what hair maintenance products will you recommend that does not cause any shedding that are kind of like the ones that you developed yourself?
12-13-2009, 02:36 PM,
Charlie-

I developed my own products because I wasn't able to find anything on the market that would keep the hair soft and strong. Now after having gone through the entire R&D process I see that there is a lot more to it than just using a shampoo that is sulfate free. It also has to have the proper pH level (slightly acidic), it has to have additional ingredients to protect the color, and it has to contain conditioning agents to keep the hair moisturized during washing. Most products just don't work well with hairpiece hair.
12-14-2009, 01:34 PM,
Hi guys
So to recap in a nutshell,,What conditioner /shampoo would a fellow hairwearer recommend to avoid shedding?
Name brand please, I'd like to buy it ASAP as I have experience similar problems with shedding. Big Grin

Thanks!
hairboy
12-14-2009, 02:08 PM,
Here's my two cents worth: Creme of Nature, JRob's Blue Max products, Pureology (high buck stuff) and several of the Dove shampoos. Results will vary depending on the hardness/softness of the water you have. Anyone else have some favorites they'd like to recommend?
Regards,
John